Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

I viewed both videos... "Quiet Boot" is turned on... He doesn't get the First Panel of his USB Boot media, which may be from how he created the media(?)

Here's what has been said previously:

By the Vendor- That on boot, use the <DEL> Key to get to the BIOS Setup. That would imply that it is AMI BIOS or similar. With the newest version of the AMI BIOS, press <DEL> or <ESC> to enter the BIOS Setup. The <TAB> key will toggle the Quiet Boot" off to display the Post Messages. F8 is the hotkey for the EFI Boot menu...

But if nothing is connected to the device at all, meaning no SSD, and No USB device, then there should be 1-2 devices left for it to boot from... The NIC and UEFI Firmware... Unhooking both those may be enough for it to stall, looking for those two missing devices, to get into an EFI booot menu... Or not. But might be worth a try.

But here's a caveat that I thought of while watching those two videos... It reminds me of several of mine, that have AMI BIOS... At the initial start of POST- It init's the Northbridge... CPU, APU, MEM, Then it transitions to the Southbridge with the USB bus/devices, PCI Bus, NIC's, other Ports. (In that order...) Note that the Northbridge in current, is no longer on the motherboard. It is inside the CPU, so the path to it is now ls almost nothing.

On mine, on the first boot (after the first power on), the USB Keyboard isn't always recognized in time "to hear" if I'm pressing hotkeys to try to get into the BIOS Setup or to pull up the EFI Boot Menu... So "if" I plan on using the EFI Boot Menu or need to get into the UEFI BIOS Setup... on mine, I just let it try to boot the first time, and in those first few seconds of POST, press <Cntrl><Alt><Del> once, maybe a few times, to let it cycle a reboot a few times... Then press the <Del> key to get in. Notice that I didn't say power on and off, but rather do/cause a reset. Something about the board still being powered on, and cycling, causes this condition.

The reason I can see that on mine, is that I have Quiet Boot turned off, and I have an RGB LED lit keyboard, so I can see when it is trying to initialize the keyboard, and see the timing of the onscreen POST messages... He doesn't. have those indicators.

Something about the second or later POSTs (after the initial POST)... Lets the Keyboard initialize the Keyboard faster, for it to start recognizing keys (better)...

I know that may sound a bit "quarky"... I'm trying to describe something, that happens in a matter of mere seconds... and the timing has to be just right. There is only about a 1-2 second window there, that it waits for that Hotkey. If I look in my BIOS, the default wait time setting for that is only 1 second.

Past that, start hitting the <Left-Shift> key to try to get the Grub Menu...

The suggestion to upgrade to 21.04??? He "IS" running stable on a 20.04.2 LTS LiveCD USB image... That points that the installed image on his SSD has problems. Not that 20.04.2 itself is the problem. And he "is" running stable on that LiveCD environment without any nomodeset or any other boot parameter options... Running Ubuntu isn't his big problem. Being able to boot from USB, then install to his SSD is his challenge and problem.

Why? Back to the original chief complaint... He can't get into his BIOS Setup to change anything, such as his boot order...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 5th, 2021 at 11:09 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Wasn't there a Grub Boot Image (as a rescue disk) at one time? I was thinking that there was. Something that he can burn to one of his "other" USB keys (he has multiple now). That he can boot to, get to a Grub Command Prompt, to boot into his UEFI BIOS.

If not, I can create an image for him... I mean, I used to create custom Distro's. It's not hard. I could then share it with him, to try.

But if it is already out there... He could just download to try.

Let me do a quick search on that... https://www.supergrubdisk.org/

EDIT: It has a Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 6th, 2021 at 12:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    I studied your videos as best as I could - they were a bit small to see exactly what is happening.

It looks like there is a blank dialogue box before the 2 minute disk check occurs.
    That is a dialog box saying that the screeen resolution is wrong; but it is. Yeah sorry for the quality of the videos.

The live session grub menu should appear before the disk check.
    No, I have never seen the grub menu since these shenanigans started. The USB key boot defaults to the desktop like in the video with no SSD connected.

Also, it appeared that you were using a live USB with Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) - is that correct?

As you have new hardware, I am wondering if 21.04 would yield the grub menu in a live session?
    Correct about 20.04 on the USB. I'm downloading 21.01 right now and will test.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you press escape key, right after computer starts, after vendor's UEFI screen but before grub normally would appear, do you get grub menu?
    I have never seen either the vendor's UEFI screen or the grub menu. When I booted the computer up for the first time it was already installed with Ubuntu 19.1 and I immediately tried to upgrade the system to 20.04. That's when it all came falling down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I viewed both videos... "Quiet Boot" is turned on... He doesn't get the First Panel of his USB Boot media, which may be from how he created the media(?) The USB boot media was created with Rufus from "ubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64" disk image.

Here's what has been said previously:

By the Vendor- That on boot, use the <DEL> Key to get to the BIOS Setup. That would imply that it is AMI BIOS or similar. With the newest version of the AMI BIOS, press <DEL> or <ESC> to enter the BIOS Setup. The <TAB> key will toggle the Quiet Boot" off to display the Post Messages. F8 is the hotkey for the EFI Boot menu... https://we.tl/t-VhdBg0ViWB this is the how-to the vendor sent me. Note that he restarts from Windows which I never had on the computer.

But if nothing is connected to the device at all, meaning no SSD, and No USB device, then there should be 1-2 devices left for it to boot from... The NIC and UEFI Firmware... Unhooking both those may be enough for it to stall, looking for those two missing devices, to get into an EFI booot menu... Or not. But might be worth a try. The only things that I can take off the motherboard is the RAM, the wifi/bluetooth card, the backup battery and the fan unit. There is one red jumper switch over 3 pins and therefore 2 possible permutations.

But here's a caveat that I thought of while watching those two videos... It reminds me of several of mine, that have AMI BIOS... At the initial start of POST- It init's the Northbridge... CPU, APU, MEM, Then it transitions to the Southbridge with the USB bus/devices, PCI Bus, NIC's, other Ports. (In that order...) Note that the Northbridge in current, is no longer on the motherboard. It is inside the CPU, so the path to it is now ls almost nothing.

On mine, on the first boot (after the first power on), the USB Keyboard isn't always recognized in time "to hear" if I'm pressing hotkeys to try to get into the BIOS Setup or to pull up the EFI Boot Menu... So "if" I plan on using the EFI Boot Menu or need to get into the UEFI BIOS Setup... on mine, I just let it try to boot the first time, and in those first few seconds of POST, press <Cntrl><Alt><Del> once, maybe a few times, to let it cycle a reboot a few times... Then press the <Del> key to get in. Notice that I didn't say power on and off, but rather do/cause a reset. Something about the board still being powered on, and cycling, causes this condition.

The reason I can see that on mine, is that I have Quiet Boot turned off, and I have an RGB LED lit keyboard, so I can see when it is trying to initialize the keyboard, and see the timing of the onscreen POST messages... He doesn't. have those indicators.

Something about the second or later POSTs (after the initial POST)... Lets the Keyboard initialize the Keyboard faster, for it to start recognizing keys (better)...

I know that may sound a bit "quarky"... I'm trying to describe something, that happens in a matter of mere seconds... and the timing has to be just right. There is only about a 1-2 second window there, that it waits for that Hotkey. If I look in my BIOS, the default wait time setting for that is only 1 second.

Past that, start hitting the <Left-Shift> key to try to get the Grub Menu...

The suggestion to upgrade to 21.04??? He "IS" running stable on a 20.04.2 LTS LiveCD USB image... That points that the installed image on his SSD has problems. Not that 20.04.2 itself is the problem. And he "is" running stable on that LiveCD environment without any nomodeset or any other boot parameter options... Running Ubuntu isn't his big problem. Being able to boot from USB, then install to his SSD is his challenge and problem.

Why? Back to the original chief complaint... He can't get into his BIOS Setup to change anything, such as his boot order...
    z

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Wasn't there a Grub Boot Image (as a rescue disk) at one time? I was thinking that there was. Something that he can burn to one of his "other" USB keys (he has multiple now). That he can boot to, get to a Grub Command Prompt, to boot into his UEFI BIOS.

If not, I can create an image for him... I mean, I used to create custom Distro's. It's not hard. I could then share it with him, to try.

But if it is already out there... He could just download to try.

Let me do a quick search on that... https://www.supergrubdisk.org/

EDIT: It has a Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings...
    I'm trying to digest the information on the supergrubdisk site. It looks scary although very intersting.

Beans

The 'User Manual' which arrived in the same box as the PC is worthless to say the very least.

It contains various images (spread over 4 x 9" square pages) of the Windows 10 OS and basic advice to novice users about Flight Mode, Cortana, Sleep/restart/shutdown and Security Management. There is also a section entitled BIOS - Setting & Bootmanager; I quote - "Press and hold "ESC" button of keyboard and switch on the device(Press power button ).A screen with the different options will appear. Use option "SCU" for BIOS setting and"Boot Manager" for operating system boot option." There is a troubleshooting section which mentions issues with Windows only.
    Have you tried holding down ESC then pressing the Power button (from powered down)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tahitiwibble View Post
    I'm trying to digest the information on the supergrubdisk site. It looks scary although very intersting.
    All you would need it for is to boot from, then using the option on that, to boot into the UEFI BIOS Setting Menu of your computer... Yes, it would be mass overkilss, just to do that. But You can't seem to do it manually so... LOL

This may help you get there... to change at least the boot order. So that your USB is first and SSD second in the order.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 6th, 2021 at 05:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This may help you get there... to change at least the boot order. So that your USB is first and SSD second in the order.
    I just tried the live USB supergrubstick and it wouldn't boot up for some reason. I tried 2 different pen drives and burning the image with both Rufus and Etcher and no go
    Last edited by tahitiwibble; August 6th, 2021 at 06:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by bobunderwood99 View Post
    Have you tried holding down ESC then pressing the Power button (from powered down)?
    I have yes, that and a thousand other variations of key combinations.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast