Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

What perplexes me, is that when an Ubuntu LTS Install image is created to a USB Key (or Burned to a DVD)...

If created to boot as Legacy BIOS boot, then the initial screen is like this: https://www.itzgeek.com/wp-content/u...ial-Screen.png

If created to boot as UEFI BIOS boot, then the initial screen is like this: https://ubuntuforums.org/attachment....8&d=1628065146 (Same as attachment)

Note- If created to boot as both, the mode it boots as is one of those two screens, indicating the mode it booted as.

...Which that second (UEFI) initial screen is a Grub menu. Notice the last option on that menu, which gives the user the ability to go into the UEFI BIOS to make changes to the BIOS Settings, before the install. The same can be done from a Grub Boot Menu on an UEFI BIOS machine, by pressing <C> at the Grub menu to get to a Grub command prompt, typing: fwsetup<Enter>

It will then just go to the BIOS setup screen, straight from Grub... Those two versions of initial screens are mandatory and are there (specifically) to give the user installing a chance to interact with things to make any needed adjustments and such... Before the LiveCD Environment starts.

You have confirmed that it is booting the LiveCD USB key as UEFI... DO you not get this initial screen as a Grub menu like the attachment when it boots from the LiveCD USB key?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 4th, 2021 at 10:11 AM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    You have confirmed that it is booting the LiveCD USB key as UEFI... DO you not get this initial screen as a Grub menu like the attachment when it boots from the LiveCD USB key?
    Yes, very good observation.
    I am equally as perplexed as you and very interested in the progress of this thread.

A quick internet search of the PC yielded this description:-
    TOPTON Mini PC AMD Ryzen R5 3550H R7 2700U Vega 10 Graphic 2*DDR4 M.2 NVMe Gaming Computer Windows 10 4K HTPC HDMI2.0 DP AC WiFi
    If Windows 10 is mentioned, then the UEFI firmware should be standard issue (and accessible from the Grub menu in the live environment)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You do not now get the purple BIOS screen with the newest Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu 20.10 Groovy Gorilla - Grub used for both BIOS & UEFI

The purple screen was from a syslinux boot loader.

Do not know if grub has different colors for BIOS & UEFI, but it will be grub menu.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@oldfred

I tested an Ubuntu 21.04 ISO on Two VM's- Legacy (1) and UEFI (2).

1. If it boots as Legacy, you get a Grub Menu that does not have a menu option to go to the Firmware settings. If you drop to the Grub CLI and enter "fwsetup", it will get a "Command not found."
    2. If it boots as UEFI, then the Grub Menu does have the "UEFI Firmware Settings" menu option and if you drop into the Grub CLI, you can use fwsetup to get to it.

That seems to be a visual and functional difference at that point,, whether it has used grub-pc for legacy or grub-efi for UEFI. At least for Debian Branch. RHEL Branch does not add an UEFI Firmware Settings" menu item at all. On them, if it is UEFI, you have to go to the CLI (or add it as a custom menu item manually).
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 4th, 2021 at 09:54 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Of the type I mentioned... https://www.amazon.com/SSK-Aluminum-...tronics&sr=1-6

The one I have eyes on for myself... On my own wishlist.

That way, you could boot to the USB key with the LiveCD environment (with your SSD not installed) and when in the Environment. Then with your SSD in the Adapter, safely plug in your SSD (via USB) and do what is needed to remove grub from the SSD or remove all partitions, so it is fresh...

Then everything can be shut down, and reassembled. SSD would failover to the USB Key to Install on the (then) internal SSD.

I would have already done this if I could beg, borrow or steal an adapter such as you show. Alas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The command that you guys asked me to run in terminal came back absolutely as "EUFI".

I made a couple of videos and I apologise for the poor lighting and quality (my wife and granddaughter are both within ear shot and hate me using bright lights late at night) the first one shows booting the computer with the corrupted SSD installed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PBxUoNT9FME9GykD7

This second one was booting the live USB with no SSD

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZBrZjM7vWXmJKdCZ8

Both times simply powered on with no interference from yours truly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

DO you not get this initial screen as a Grub menu like the attachment when it boots from the LiveCD USB key?
    Negative

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Yes, very good observation.
    I am equally as perplexed as you and very interested in the progress of this thread.

A quick internet search of the PC yielded this description:-

If Windows 10 is mentioned, then the UEFI firmware should be standard issue (and accessible from the Grub menu in the live environment)?
    The exact machine that I bought with the 8GB DDR4 512GB NVMe option and the Ryzen 5 3550H processor is in the link below. I asked for Ubuntu to be preinstalled and they put on version 19.1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...1cec4c4dxp9mQH
    Last edited by tahitiwibble; August 6th, 2021 at 02:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I studied your videos as best as I could - they were a bit small to see exactly what is happening.

It looks like there is a blank dialogue box before the 2 minute disk check occurs.

The live session grub menu should appear before the disk check.

Also, it appeared that you were using a live USB with Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) - is that correct?

As you have new hardware, I am wondering if 21.04 would yield the grub menu in a live session?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you press escape key, right after computer starts, after vendor's UEFI screen but before grub normally would appear, do you get grub menu?
    And then can you boot the second (or third if sub menu) recovery mode entry? That adds nomodeset as boot parameter, so you boot into terminal without gui.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast