Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

Well. heck...

Lets go through what we have tried...

You can't get to the Grub Menu, which you give you access to the Recovery Environment, where you would have at the least, a root command prompt. Or at the last menu option of a Grub Menu installed on UEFI, an option to Boot into the UEFI Settings Environment...

You've now tried multiple ways to get into the UEFI BIOS Settings, and they have all failed. If you could have, then you could turn off secureboot, fast boot and change the boot order. WE have deducted that the boot order is currently set to SSD, then USB...

So currently, you cannot boot from a USB, unless the SSD is not working, or is not present...

The installation on the SSD is working only to a point... It is working only enough to boot the kernel to a login, then has problems. The problems now identified and not just with the graphics...So you don't have enough of a system to repair the installed system, nor to cripple the SSD enough that it is not bookable. If you could have crippled the SSD by removing the boot loader, then it would fail-over to USB to boot...

We have deducted that the install on the SSD is corrupted... If the SSD is not there, then if it does boot from the USB and Ubuntu 20.04 runs just great, with no problems. It seems to run stable, with no problems. That tells us, the system on your SSD has problems. So we know, that if it did install correctly, you would be good.

From there we discussed trying a different storage disk. I'm not there and cannot see it. There are no doc's for this "Mini PC". It's just taunted as the cheapest "Mini PC" in the world... A very cheap Chinese "budget" device. Only sold by Ali Express. So it is made somewhere in China. Ali Express say's it is shipped with a User Manual. There is almost nothing about it, or it's specifications anywhere online... At least, not in English.

You asked if a regular 2.5" SSD would work... Well, that is a loaded question and it all depends on the interface and connection... I don't think an SSD with a SATA Interface will work, only because with all the offerings of different config's sold for this, I only see M2 and NMIE SSD's, with were not a SATA type connection, right? You asked this because you are a bit remote, in location, so if it is not local, it would take at least 4 weeks to get "anything."

I mean, it might not hurt to try and see if it does, but make sure the SSD is not bootable before connecting it to it, so it fall over to the USB key.

So to use a different SSD, if the connection were different, you may need an adapter. You also thought about just buying another new NMIE SSD, to install to... That part would not be found locally to you, which would be over a month for you to get. Which brings it back to... Whatever you do has to make sense, and be part of a plan... And the plan should include what has been learned so far, so that you are not dead-ended for the future...

Anything you buy is going to take at least a month for you to get. I feel that your best investment would be to get a USB3 Hub (powered) and a USB to NMIE adapter for your current drive. That would give you the capability to Boot from your USB LiveCD Key (with the SSD removed), then to safely be able to add your SSD, via plugging in the USB adapter, to reinstall to. I believe that investment would still be cheaper than buying another SSD. And still leave options to you for future reuse.

I think planning for the future, that you should add a reserved 10GB partition, formatted as EXT4 to copy an ISO image file to. Then add a loopback menu item to the Boot Menu to be able to boot to it, as a Fall-back Recovery Option. Also re-configuring the Grub Menu, so it always displays, at least for a few seconds. I think this experience has some lessons learned that you don't want to get trapped into again. That way, if you want to add the Boot-Repair ISO (or more) to it as recovery utilities, you can... If you have room reserved in that ISO partition to copy them to...

In the meanwhile, with the SSD removed, you can use Ubuntu from the USB key.

You can continue to work the support from where you bought it from to try to get into your UEFI BIOS Settings... Eventually, and realistically, you are going to need the ability to be able to get into your UEFI settings. In my search over the past 2-Days, I have seen a bit on Mini PC's where other people cannot get into their own BIOS Setting Screens, even from people at Universities, so I think we might start to see this more for them, for Budget integrated/embedded devices.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 2nd, 2021 at 08:53 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@tahitiwibble - Did you try my suggestion in post 10?

I note your comment in post 33, which implies that you still haven't tried it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Tea For One:

Yes he did try it... He was finally able to try that last night. Look at my last post. That was supervised via PM's and over Skype... A lot of things have happened now, behind the scenes, since then.

Seems that his EFI BIOS is NOT Window's Compliant, in that respect, so that Systemd systemctl command "does not" work...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@MAFoElffen - I didn't realise that there were efforts being made behind the scenes.

I had hoped that my suggestion had been put on the back-burner while other avenues were explored, but, alas, it was not to be..........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@MAFoElffen and @tahitiwibble

I have discovered another little surprising twist today.

When you tried my suggestion to reboot to UEFI set-up via a live session, does the following output look familiar:-

Code:
    sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup
    Cannot indicate to EFI to boot into setup mode: Firmware does not support boot into firmware
    You would receive this failure message if you originally booted the live session in Legacy mode.

Can you confirm that the live session was in UEFI mode?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Tea For One:

Yes... If he could just get to a grub meun or shell, he could have just gotten to a grub command prompt and entered: fwsetup ... which for grub, would have booted tothe EFI Setup. But it wouldn't. No matter hard he tried.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Tea For One... Form his USB Key... He could confirm that via
    Code:
    [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
    Then if BIOS, maybe he could create another LiveCD USB key that is UEFI boot only...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I think planning for the future, that you should add a reserved 10GB partition, formatted as EXT4 to copy an ISO image file to. Then add a loopback menu item to the Boot Menu to be able to boot to it, as a Fall-back Recovery Option. Also re-configuring the Grub Menu, so it always displays, at least for a few seconds. I think this experience has some lessons learned that you don't want to get trapped into again. That way, if you want to add the Boot-Repair ISO (or more) to it as recovery utilities, you can... If you have room reserved in that ISO partition to copy them to...

In the meanwhile, with the SSD removed, you can use Ubuntu from the USB key.

You can continue to work the support from where you bought it from to try to get into your UEFI BIOS Settings... Eventually, and realistically, you are going to need the ability to be able to get into your UEFI settings. In my search over the past 2-Days, I have seen a bit on Mini PC's where other people cannot get into their own BIOS Setting Screens, even from people at Universities, so I think we might start to see this more for them, for Budget integrated/embedded devices.
    Yes Sir, your appraisal and summary of the situation in post #47 is absolutely spot on!

The 'User Manual' which arrived in the same box as the PC is worthless to say the very least.

It contains various images (spread over 4 x 9" square pages) of the Windows 10 OS and basic advice to novice users about Flight Mode, Cortana, Sleep/restart/shutdown and Security Management. There is also a section entitled BIOS - Setting & Bootmanager; I quote - "Press and hold "ESC" button of keyboard and switch on the device(Press power button ).A screen with the different options will appear. Use option "SCU" for BIOS setting and"Boot Manager" for operating system boot option." There is a troubleshooting section which mentions issues with Windows only.

If all else fails and we never get this sorted out it did come with a SATA cable. I would remove the SSD from the PC and then install an old fat 32 formatted 2.5" HDD on which I would hopefully be able to create a 20gig "/" partition and divide the rest of the space between a partition for "/home" and the third for various data.

I've been hounding the vendor every day since the 27th July with no success at all.

A quote which I've kept for a long time now “Create top-grade quality walk on the vogue point” - Chinese snooker table manufacturer LOL
    Last edited by tahitiwibble; August 3rd, 2021 at 03:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Code:
    sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup
    Cannot indicate to EFI to boot into setup mode: Firmware does not support boot into firmware
    You would receive this failure message if you originally booted the live session in Legacy mode.

Can you confirm that the live session was in UEFI mode?
    I never saw the code that you mention above. I'm not sure how to recognise whether or not the live session was Legacy or UEFI ..... all I can say is that the PC boots OK with a live 20.04 USB key provided that the SSD is not attached.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did we ever see what brand the SSD is?
    Many SSD need firmware update.
    And those vendors have their own site with firmware updates.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast