Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

While we are waiting, for tomorrow, writing this as s scratch pad for notes for tomorrow.

Your APU requires Kernel 5.2.x and later. It also requires Mesa drivers be installed. On Ubuntu Kernels, it runs best if we add the "nolapic-timer" boot parameter.

Ubuntu 20.04 will install and run to a secureboot on. But you installed with 19.10, so you may have to generate new secureboot keys to sign the kernel enaable DKMS updating for it to work, if you couldn't turn secureboot off in the UEFI BIOS,,, If you can turn it off, that will be much easier.

After you make those changes to the UEFI BIOS, save those changes... Then you will need to take a picture of this, or write it down, so you have something to follow.

After reading and recording these instructions somehow...

You will power down and put your computer back together. Both the CMOS battery and your SSD.

Make a decision whether you are have any attachment to the install you did.

If this was a brand new install and have no attachment, and if you couldn't for some reason change just the secure boot setting off... The reboot to the USB and install 20.04 as clean and fresh (new). That will, install with DKMS and a digitally signed kernel. If given the choice of HWE aor general, supposedly your CPU/APU runs better on the General version of the kernel. Be sure to check the box to 3rd Party Packages when you are installing.

If you have connections to the your install... It is salvageable. After you boot up to your SSD and gets to a black screen... Press <Cntrl><Alt><F4>... That should get you to a TTY Virtual terminal. That alone tells you the System booted successfully and the other Graphics session just failed. From there...
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    dmesg | grep -i amdgpu # record the output of this somewhere
    sudo apt install mesa-utills
    fgxinfo | grep -i mesa # record the info from this somewhere
    sudo nano /etc/defaults/grub
    Go down to the line that contains "quiet splash" and add, inside the quotation marks, add "nolapic-timer" like this:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nolapic-timer"
    Then Press <Cntrl><O>, then <Entrer>, Then <Cntrl><X>...
    When it retruns to the commandline
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    sudo reboot
    That shouild get that going... Crossed fingers.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by cryptearth View Post
    It could also be not be able to be done from a keyboard but maybe require some hardware switch hidden in the box on the board itself.
    I wonder about that possibility. I opened the box up and found that there is only one jumper switch on the motherboard and I hesitate to change the position.

From what I get is you seem to get at least from the initial power up to the bootloader which then in turn at least tries to boot the OS. So, yea, open the case and taking out the storage (if not soldered) should at least confuse the system to no longer be able to boot which should give you some way to access the firmware. There's also a chance that it could be hard to detach the cmos-battery. Guessing from pictures I was able to find on the net by searching for what you have given us in your initial post suggest it's not a socketed one but should just hanging in their loosely with the wires terminated into a two-pin connector. Just detaching it for a few seconds should be enough to clear out the cmos which then should result in the system to halt on a cold boot with some text like "blah blah blah press <some key> to enter setup". Although not ideal as you have to deal with re-setting all the settings correctly (which may require some tries) it should be at least some almost guaranteed way to get a force-prompt.
    I did what you suggested and disconnected the internal SSD and the CMOS battery. With a live Ubuntu 20.04 USB stick it boots up just fine and dandy. Foolishly I didn't try to boot it without the USB stick connected, I'll do that tomorrow and see what happens. Yeah you were right, the battery just dangles in the case but all least it had an accessible plug.

So, yea, I know how it can steal a whole week of tinkering around and not getting any progress.
    Day 4 here LOL. I had this kind of thing happened once a long time ago. Right now I must be on about the 6,745th key combination on boot but the damned thing ain't gonna beat me LOL.

I'm grateful for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you can boot the Ubuntu live installer (or any current flavor), run this:
    Lets see details, use ppa version with your live installer (2nd option) or any working install, not Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please copy & paste the pastebin link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), do not run the auto fix till reviewed.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair &
    https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

Since UEFI system, be sure to boot in UEFI mode. Of if live installer created by Rufus, be sure to create installer in UEFI/gpt mode.

Lots of info on USB boot for installing
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/iso2usb &
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Shows live installer with screen shots. Both BIOS purple accessibility screen & UEFI black grub menu screen 20.10 uses grub for both
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Many of us like different flavors of Ubuntu. Best to just try with live installer.
    https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours
    OldFred, please forgive me. I looked at your response and my brain went into a kind of helter-skelter mode. I now see the rhyme and reason behind your instructions and will apply myself to a follow up tomorrow. I appreciate your assistance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

FYI... LOL... That was 17-18 posts back. Just saying.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Putting everything back together... Then boot without the USB Key. Let it get to where it is totally black graphi9cal, or at the login screen. Before the graphics locks up... Switch over to a virtuall tty session <Cntrl><Alt><F4>. Log in with your credentials.

Run blkid to list the filesystems of your system
    Code:
    sudo blkid | grep -i vfat
    Mount the EFI partition found inthe last step
    Code:
    sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 -o rw
    Remove the directory and all files within the ubuntu directory
    Code:
    rm -rf /ubuntu
    Reboot. The Grub will be gone, and you should be able to boot back up with your USB key... Because it will go to your SSD in the boot order, fail, then go to your USB.

Then you will be able to do a fresh install from your USB...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 2nd, 2021 at 07:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So I just typed ctrl alt F4 about 6 times and realized that I was using the wrong keyboard LOL

But hey ........ EUREKA I have what apppears to be progress

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The rejoicing was short lived, here is a link to what I have on the screen.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mAdAp4pmGtybNbyB6
    Last edited by tahitiwibble; August 4th, 2021 at 02:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think that hardware error is related to having to add the "nolapic-timer" boot aprameterto your linux boot line... Go back to this post:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....9#post14051209

And during one of your tries, follow the instructions to try to add that in...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm losing hope. The screen just freezes at the stage shown in that image which I linked to.

It's so frustrating to see everything function from a USB drive when there's no SSD attached. I'm wondering what would happen if I took a 2.5" drive out of an external HDD that I have and put that into the box?
    Last edited by tahitiwibble; August 3rd, 2021 at 02:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Many systems have needed UEFI update. Does your vendor have an update on its support page?
    And most SSDs even new, also have firmware updates which can solve issues.
    I have a Samsung NVMe SSD and the update was a bootable ISO. Looked very old school, text menu & one choice just for my model.

You just about have to have a way into UEFI/BIOS.
    Grub menu has a reboot to UEFI entry, different than the sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup entry.
    As soon as you start booting press down arrow, as soon as grub has control it will recognize key entries and even if menu does not appear will change entry to how many presses you make.

Also can you boot recovery mode? It uses nomodeset entry to not use graphics.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast