Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

And when it tries to boot to 20.04, what does it do exactly.? What do you see?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    EDITTED. Saw your post, and you still cannot get into your UEFI BIOS... Didn't they tell you that it was the <DEL> key and gave you the password?

Does it boot to the USB before the SSD?
    It came with 19.10 pre-installed as I had requested.

I have never seen the BIOS/UEFI, ever. Yes they did say to use the DEL key but it didn't have any affect whatever. The password allowed me to boot up with 19.10 and it was after the update to 20.04 that nothing worked any more. By some quirk in the universe about 1.5 hours ago with no SSD and no battery attached the thing booted up with my live USB stick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Should I ....

Code:
    sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup
    ..... as 'tea for one' suggested?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes... LOL. Switching between this thread and your PM's...
    https://www.freedesktop.org/software...firmware-setup

And change the boot order to boot from USB first... And since you are no longer using Windows, turn secureboot off.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 1st, 2021 at 04:48 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    And when it tries to boot to 20.04, what does it do exactly.? What do you see?
    Since my update it just froze at various time during boot. Nothing to see other than a black screen and then sometimes the Ubuntu welcome screen and then sometimes I was able to put my new password in and proceed for a few seconds until another freeze.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Many UEFI have a setting called fast boot, that is different than Windows fast start up.
    Fast boot in UEFI assumes no system changes, so UEFI does not update info on hard drive for operating system to use. When changing system, you need fast boot off. And if fast boot is on, you often do not have enough time to press the key to get into UEFI as it immediately boots.

Sometimes just a total cold boot or full power shutdown. You have to remove all power and even hold power switch to make sure system is fully drained. Then it should do one normal boot where you just have a bit of time to press correct key to get into UEFI. Your del key?

Sometimes you have to remove coin battery which is used for system to remember settings to force it to turn the full start up and give you just enough time to get into UEFI with del key.

But full UEFI reset, requires you to redo the settings you changed to allow Ubuntu to be installed.
    Since you did not do those settings, best if you can get into system without full reset.
    But typically settings include changing drive to AHCI from RAID or Intel RST, turning off fast boot.
    Many turn off UEFI Secure Boot to avoid some issues. (may need it later, but then may have to update grub, kernel & drivers to signed versions).
    Some do not call it UEFI Secure Boot, but "Windows" or "Other". My older system says you have to use "Other" for Windows 7 (as it does not support UEFI Secure Boot). Or that is really the Secure Boot setting.
    You only want UEFI boot mode, do not turn on or use any Legacy/BIOS/CSM mode settings.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Additional to what oldfrd said, also, unplug the pwer cable from the power supply... Look back at the power supply. Take a quarter and short out, between the three pins, via pairs at a time. This will discharge the capacitors.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tahitiwibble View Post
    Since my update it just froze at various time during boot. Nothing to see other than a black screen and then sometimes the Ubuntu welcome screen and then sometimes I was able to put my new password in and proceed for a few seconds until another freeze.
    A black screen is still good. I'll explain after you try what I and oldfred suggested. What you are describing "now" is that the kernel and system is booting, that it is that the graphics layer is not coming up... Yet.

Every detail you divulge tells us more info...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 1st, 2021 at 05:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Alright Gentlemen. Huge thanks to you both/all. I'm loosing light of day and will have to resume tomorrow morning. I'm just so hesitant to turn this thing off now that I have an up and running computer.

What will be the result of : -

Code:
    sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup
    OK got it! Thanks for that link MAF, it looks as if it could be useful down the line.

PROFUSE thanks again to you guys!
    Last edited by tahitiwibble; August 1st, 2021 at 05:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

While you are running look at the link in my last few posts... It gives Linusx the same capabilities of Windows 8.x on, in that it will reboot to your UEFI BIOS Setup screen. Then you can make the changes me and oldfred recommended you change to.

LOL> But you're install is working and not all gone. (See my last post.) I'll wait for that until you try that first... PM me and tell me what time to be online,,, I will get back and watch for you whenever you say. I am PST timezone.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast