Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

Is hard drive seen by installer?
    I have an adapter SATA to USB for an old SSD. It worked well for SSD, but power was only from USB port and was not enough to power up an old HDD.

UEFI systems need an ESP - efi system partition. And should use gpt partitioning.
    You can also use gparted but must change device label or default partitioning first.
    With gparted select gpt under device, advanced over msdos(MBR) default partitioning before starting. If drive is MBR partitioned & has data change to gpt will erase all data on drive.

Depending on size of external drive 100 to 500MB for ESP, and if not large just one ext4 partition for / (root). If larger drive then 30 to 50GB or more for / and rest for /home and/or data partition(s). Installer defaults to swap file unless swap partition found. Some still suggest a swap partition of 4.1GB and put it at end or far right on drive. Have ESP as first or far left when viewed with gparted. / & /home then can be in middle.

Shows live installer with screen shots. Both BIOS purple accessibility screen & UEFI black grub menu screen 20.10 uses grub for both
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Last edited by oldfred; August 8th, 2021 at 04:45 AM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tahitiwibble View Post
    I have salvaged a SATA 1 Tb HDD which is installed in my wonderful Chinese mini PC.

I have installed Ubuntu 20.04 from my USB drive.
    That's good news

Can you reach your UEFI firmware via the Grub menu?

Alternatively, from your installed system, does this command execute correctly?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Using Rufus 3.15 in Windows 10
    This time using Ubuntu 21.04 Desktop ISO

Select persistence - UEFI Firmware Setup menu item is missing in Grub
    Do not select persistence - UEFI Firmware Settings was available in Grub

I wonder if this is just Rufus?
    Rufus dev here.

That's quite an interesting and surprising find, which I have been able to replicate.

Now, whereas I don't have the full explanation for it, I can at least tell you where the problem lies, by advising you to perform the following test.

1. On a drive created by Rufus (in GPT/UEFI mode please), locate the file boot/grub/grub.cfg. This the the config text file that decides whether the UEFI Firmware Settings option should appear or not
    2. In that file, notice that the menuentry 'UEFI Firmware Settings' { ... } section is guarded by the condition if [ "$grub_platform" = "efi" ]; then where the $grub_platform variable being tested is the output of the grub_platform GRUB command being invoked at the previous line.
    3. If you comment the if, else, fi lines, by adding a # at the beginning of each line, and test the USB again, you will see that the UEFI Firmware Settings option now appears
    4. This means that, for some reason, on a GPT drive that is booted in pure EFI mode (since you can't boot anything GPT in legacy mode), the grub_platform command somehow does not detect that the system was booted in EFI mode.

So it seems to me that there is some kind of issue with grub_platform that makes it confused when it sees a EFI drive with a persistent partition that was created by a utility like Rufus, and leads it to fail to detect that the platform is EFI. Considering that, when you create the drive in Rufus without the persistent partition, the output of grub_platform is correct, I hope you can also agree that the issue is unlikely to be due to Rufus somehow altering the GRUB bootloaders (which I can tell you we do not do at all for a drive created for UEFI targets, but I don't mind healthy scepticism), and whereas we do alter grub.cfg to add the persistent and remove the maybe-ubiquity kernel options (which Rufus is very explicit about in its log), another simple test, which I obviously performed just in case, will also demonstrate that these changes have nothing do with grub_platform failing to detect EFI boot. And at any rate, even if that was the case, having grub_platform confused by a change with the kernel options would still be a GRUB bug, as it should logically have no incidence on the EFI/non-EFI detection.

Now, the interesting thing is that, if you just create an extra partition manually, grub_platform still seems to properly detect EFI mode, so it's not just a matter of that module being confused by a mere extra partition. And if you delete the Rufus created persistent partition, grub_platform still fails to detect EFI mode, so there's something really peculiar about the way it's going to work or fail

Still, I guess someone will have to log a GRUB bug, because it sure doesn't look to me like grub_platform should fail to report that the platform was booted in EFI mode with the conditions above, and yet this is what we see happening...

Beans

Ah shoot, spoke too soon.

This is actually a Rufus bug where our kernel option editing of lines starting with linux... is a bit too greedy and ends up removing the linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin from the

else
    menuentry 'Test memory' {
    linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
    }
    fi

section of grub.cfg altogether.

That's a major bug from Rufus right here. Ouch!

And for some weird reason, if you happen to have an empty menuentry in an else section of a grub.cfg, then only that else gets executed regardless of whether the if condition was true or not.

This explains all the weird behaviours we've been observing above. At any rate, I'll make sure to get that issue fixed for the next version of Rufus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Is hard drive seen by installer?
    I have an adapter SATA to USB for an old SSD. It worked well for SSD, but power was only from USB port and was not enough to power up an old HDD.

UEFI systems need an ESP - efi system partition. And should use gpt partitioning.
    You can also use gparted but must change device label or default partitioning first.
    With gparted select gpt under device, advanced over msdos(MBR) default partitioning before starting. If drive is MBR partitioned & has data change to gpt will erase all data on drive.

Depending on size of external drive 100 to 500MB for ESP, and if not large just one ext4 partition for / (root). If larger drive then 30 to 50GB or more for / and rest for /home and/or data partition(s). Installer defaults to swap file unless swap partition found. Some still suggest a swap partition of 4.1GB and put it at end or far right on drive. Have ESP as first or far left when viewed with gparted. / & /home then can be in middle.

Shows live installer with screen shots. Both BIOS purple accessibility screen & UEFI black grub menu screen 20.10 uses grub for both
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Apologies for disappearing oldfrend, I became so frustrated that I abandoned the 'recovery operation'. I am going to try to digest and act upon your suggestions and will keep you informed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

That's good news

Can you reach your UEFI firmware via the Grub menu?

Alternatively, from your installed system, does this command execute correctly?
    Code:
    Apologies to you also tea for one for disappearing, I still have never been able to get to or even see any trace of the grub menu EVER. I will try your command/code and post the results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Code:
    So that is a negative. The result was a frozen kind-of-backlighted-obviously-funtioning black screen and nothing more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

While you are logged in to your installed system, can you show us the output of:-

Code:
     [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "UEFI" || echo "Legacy"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Code:
    uefi
    Last edited by tahitiwibble; August 17th, 2021 at 11:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tahitiwibble View Post
    So that is a negative. The result was a frozen kind-of-backlighted-obviously-funtioning black screen and nothing more.
    Having completely established that you have a UEFI system, the command sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup tries to function but does not display the UEFI/BIOS set-up.

If the screen is obviously functioning, then something else is being obstructive.

I wish I could offer more assistance but I'm stumped at the moment.
    Last edited by tea for one; August 17th, 2021 at 02:27 PM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast