Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tigernvc shows no dock or icons during VNC session

Hybrid View

Beans

tigernvc shows no dock or icons during VNC session

I am running GNOME on Ubuntu 20.04. When I initiate a VNC session, I can see my desktop as well as the top menu bar, but my dock and all of my icons are gone. This only seems to be happening when accessing my desktop over the internet as opposed to my local network, but I could be wrong. Any ideas what the problem might be? I have checked to make sure the full window is being shown in my client.

Beans

Re: tigernvc shows no dock or icons during VNC session

I hope you are using an SSH tunnel then connecting using that. VNC is not encrypted and not secure.
    What are you doing on the remote system once you get connected? What are you connecting to the remote system to achieve? There may be a sleeker solution to what you want to do

Beans

Yes, I am tunneling through SSH. I am just trying to use tigervnc as a remote desktop solution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roper12345 View Post
    Yes, I am tunneling through SSH. I am just trying to use tigervnc as a remote desktop solution.
    Yes, but to achieve what? Lets say you get connected to the desktop OS...what are you gong to do on the desktop?

Beans

Sorry, I'm not sure why that's relevant to my question.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roper12345 View Post
    Sorry, I'm not sure why that's relevant to my question.
    Because people immediately start grabbing at VNC as soon as they start getting the idea about remote access. A lot of the time there is no need for VNC.

As an example, one guy was VNCing to the remote system to then open a Web browser to http://localhost

Another just watched an SSH connection but was wanting to VNC over to open a terminal....

Stuff like that, so I always always ask.

Why do you need to connect to and access the full desktop? If there is a better solution then you don't even need to setup or run VNC because a better solution exists.

Beans

Hello
    May I listen in please? I want to remotely connect to and control, with user consent, Ubuntu machines that I build for them. I am looking for the best server/client solution.

I have found a source of latest problems with TigerVNC on https://github.com/TigerVNC/tigervnc/labels/bounty

You might also try https://remmina.org/how-to-install-remmina/#ubuntu

I have had some success with remmina over a LAN but currently untried over WAN.
    Last edited by robert48; July 30th, 2021 at 12:10 PM.

Beans

In any case, the easier solution was to enable screen sharing directly in Ubuntu settings -> sharing. I also had to disable encryption in dconf (there is a known bug) and turn off scaling and lower my resolution to 1080p (another known bug).

Beans

My basic requirement is to assist and maintain a Ubuntu installation on a remote PC, accessible over the internet. I have built the machine for my wife's cousin at the tender age of 21 for the 36th year. The idea is to show him how to do things when he and the machine are 200 miles away.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robert48 View Post
    My basic requirement is to assist and maintain a Ubuntu installation on a remote PC, accessible over the internet. I have built the machine for my wife's cousin at the tender age of 21 for the 36th year. The idea is to show him how to do things when he and the machine are 200 miles away.
    Ahh remote desktop assistance with the user sat at the system. Is this the requirement? If. So then VNC is a great solution here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast