Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gnome tweaks Shell has exclamation point

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Gnome tweaks Shell has exclamation point

Quote Originally Posted by walts48 View Post
    Then why am I seeing an exclamation point?
    As deadflowr previously mentioned:-

Open gnome-tweaks > Extensions > User Themes > Activate

You still have to have themes which include gnome-shell configuration folder in ~/.themes or /usr/share/themes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

If you are interested in exploring different gnome-shell themes, the place most people get them is gnome-look.org where they currenty have 467 gnome-shell themes. The version of the theme you choose should be made for the version of gnome shell you have. For example, Ubuntu 20.04 needs a theme made for gnome-shell 3.36, which not the latest gnome-shell version.

dmn@Sydney-vm:~$ gnome-shell --version
    GNOME Shell 3.36.9

Beans

Ha, ha, I actually thought that was enough information. I thought it would get an appropriate snort at my silly question.

First to do any of it you have to install gnome-tweaks, it doesn't come on your system.

I THINK that's sudo apt-get install gnome-tweaks

So to be able to add a shell you have to add the ability to do that. Click on Extensions, and turn on "User themes" - "Load shell themes from user directory".

Then you can change the shell.

It's needlessly complicated and not something one would intuitively think of. I feel better now that I'm not the only one who didn't think of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by dora5 View Post
    Ha, ha, I actually thought that was enough information. I thought it would get an appropriate snort at my silly question.

First to do any of it you have to install gnome-tweaks, it doesn't come on your system.

I THINK that's sudo apt-get install gnome-tweaks

So to be able to add a shell you have to add the ability to do that. Click on Extensions, and turn on "User themes" - "Load shell themes from user directory".

Then you can change the shell.

It's needlessly complicated and not something one would intuitively think of. I feel better now that I'm not the only one who didn't think of it.
    Agreed, indeed.

Nice to know our systems aren't broken, and we don't need a shell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12