Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is it possible to backup Mac APFS personal data to Ubuntu server ext4 HDD ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Is it possible to backup Mac APFS personal data to Ubuntu server ext4 HDD ?

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyjohn View Post
    Thanks all, especially to CharlesA

SSH worked without any problems, using a wired network connection I managed to backup the Downloads and Desktop folders on the Mac to the server fairly quickly which is impressive considering the amount of time its taken to get it working !

I'm now uncommenting folders from the exclude list one by one and performing an rsync each time.
    That's good news.

So it seems samba was the problem ?

From the sounds of it most of you are using SSH with rsync, so I may as well stick with SSH and forget about samba ?

Im just curious now as to why samba didnt work ?

Is samba not very good, is that the reason why the Mac doesnt always connect to the server without having to use the "Go->Connect to server..." method ?

Possibly. It's very odd through. Do you have anything in the samba logs in /var/logs?

I haven't had much experience with macs, so I can't tell you if that behavior is expected or not (but I would lean toward not).
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is it possible to backup Mac APFS personal data to Ubuntu server ext4 HDD ?

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Hmm, I am one of the folks who use SSH for everything. So I backup my Macs over SSH with rsync and that works OK for me.
    Same here. SSH for everything, zero need or use for anything else.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234