Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Beginner Question - KVM Guest Machines] Unable to start Guest VM

Beans

Re: [Beginner Question - KVM Guest Machines] Unable to start Guest VM

i tried the defaults,users thing in my fstab but it still behaves the same way. I am actually using SFTP.
    As i have posted above, the 2 dir storage pool is hosted on the same disk but the FTP root and where virtual disks are not located in the same directory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Attempting to use plain FTP and have VMs running from the same directory is asking for problems. Plain FTP should have died in 2002. Use sftp instead. Then normal Unix groups can be used and you can make all the files use libvirtd for the group, which would allow both your userid and the KVM process total access.

In an fstab, the options cannot have any spaces, so
    Code:
     defaults, users
    is wrong.
    Code:
     defaults,users
    could work, assuming a native Linux file system underneath. I removed the space between the 2 options. If the drive is NTFS, then the userid, groupid, and permissions can only be set through mount options. It is too late here to head down that rabbit hole.
    i tried the defaults,users thing in my fstab but it still behaves the same way. I am actually using SFTP.
    As i have posted above, the 2 dir storage pool is hosted on the same disk but the FTP root and where virtual disks are not located in the same directory.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, This is what I have...My Ubuntu root is on SSD, my pools for ISO and KVM-VM (where my VM Disks are) are on a 4TB SATA that is NTFS... which I mount into my own Home directory so it's easy for me to navigate to... I could have just as easisly had the VAR directory split out and the Permissions and setting for it would have just been default... (Which some people do.)
    Code:
    afoelffen@Opti-Ubuntu-Main:~$ kvm --version
    QEMU emulator version 4.2.1 (Debian 1:4.2-3ubuntu6.17)
    Copyright (c) 2003-2019 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers
    mafoelffen@Opti-Ubuntu-Main:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
    UUID=d6eb6bcf-c93a-46d5-b7e0-25dd73eec384 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /home was on /dev/sda4 during installation
    UUID=a5c5987f-82ab-4e16-a39f-aa5564a0a2ef /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
    # swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=f7db5bcd-8019-46a1-abe9-44d99c84d0e7 none            swap    sw              0       0
    UUID=0A24D9F224D9E0AD             /home/mafoelffen/WIN_G  ntfs    defaults        0       0 
    Then I set the permissions in the two directories/files recursively there for owned by virt-qemu, kvm group, permissions 4754, and it's works. I still had to set the permssion and ownership for those two for it to work. Just doing the mount doesn't do that. Especially since "mine" is not a Linux Filesystem on that disk..

I did that on that Filesystem. because that machine is a Multi-boot, and I can copy over ISO to that, from whatever OS I am running. And I have access to it from my Local LAN, from my Pi4... So I can copy ISO's from it.

On my Raspberry Pi4 running Ubuntu and Qemu/KVM, I just created my directories in the Public's Home folder, and all the permissions were already set fine to be used by any user on that. Because that home folder is shared.

Just techniques...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 25th, 2021 at 07:51 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12