Thread: Want to learn Ubuntu

Beans

Want to learn Ubuntu

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to Ubuntu, recently moved from Windows OS. I'm facing a lot difficulties in Ubuntu, can anyone please refer me some tutorial to learn Ubuntu OS. Thanks
    Last edited by alia11; July 25th, 2021 at 05:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Want to learn Ubuntu

How long did you spend learning Windows? It will take at least that long to Learn Linux.

What is your goal in using Linux? What you should learn and where you should concentrate can be vastly different based on your goal.

All Linux Desktops have 95% in common if you ignore the desktop GUIs. Where they differ is mainly release management and package management. Besides those things, underneath, don't fall into the trap of "ubuntu" or "fedora" or "SuSE". They are like siblings in the same family, with different faces, but the same parents.

For many of the different flavors, even the GUI is the same.
    Of course, there are 50 different GUIs, so you can try those out to see which you prefer. Flexibility and options are core to Linux.

Update:
    Don't forget that your town or local college might have a Linux group - a "LUG" - where you can learn directly from other people. Many LUGs have meeting online and don't mind having people attend from all over the world. My LUG is like that. We just started meeting in-person again, but only fully vaccinated people are allowed. Everyone is involved to the online version. Last week, we had a 50/50 split between in-person and online attendees. The hardest part of attending any LUG is just showing up. Once you are there, people will want to help.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 24th, 2021 at 05:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not a tutorial
    Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can start with the Ubuntu Desktop Guide. Otherwise, known as "Help." The icon is a blue circle with a white question mark superimposed.

Strictly speaking, Ubuntu is not an OS. It is a distribution of Linux. We do not think of Linux as an OS, either. Linux is the kernel of the OS. Add to the Linux kernel all the other pieces of software that make up an OS and then add a desktop environment and user interface along with some applications and we end up with a Linux distribution. And we are spoilt for choice.

Yes, it does take some learning. I myself have learnt a lot from reading posts in this forum. And then there is this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommunityHelpWiki

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; July 24th, 2021 at 01:14 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

There are loads of places to help you learn. The major problem is that most of us learn in different ways; so what works for you may differ to what helps us.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials

It may also help if you're specific in what you want to do with Ubuntu. Are you wanting it for server? desktop? or something else? Ubuntu has many products.

I'll second what the Fu said; I've used Ubuntu & Debian today; but was using Fedora & OpenSUSE yesterday as well, and they're all just different forms of what I prefer calling GNU/Linux.

Beans

That and a one size fits all tutorial doesn't help many people. What if you just want to install a snap package. Do you need a full tutorial on apt / aptitude? Just add a user? Do you need a full tutorial on changing desktop icons?

Defiine a goal then move in that direction. Without direction you can learn a ton of stuff and likely most of it will be meaningless or irrelevant to you depending on your goals.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    That and a one size fits all tutorial doesn't help many people. What if you just want to install a snap package. Do you need a full tutorial on apt / aptitude? Just add a user? Do you need a full tutorial on changing desktop icons?

Defiine a goal then move in that direction. Without direction you can learn a ton of stuff and likely most of it will be meaningless or irrelevant to you depending on your goals.
    Just-in-time learning is very useful, until the background necessary to understand the instructions is lacking to miss important details in those instructions and toast the system.

Taking snap installation. Is choosing to install a snap even a good idea? Are the additional problems that come with snap packages acceptable? Why do snaps even exist? What was wrong with APT? These questions require learning a little outside the single purpose question.

What to type answers are easy.
    Answers for why to, or not to, type those commands are much harder and full of nuance.
    As an administrator, my main job is to avoid future problems by making informed decisions today. Sometimes that decision is to avoid the problem by using a different technique. Using APT, not snaps.

Snaps work great for many people, but definitely not everyone. The more limited a system is - less RAM, less disk, the more of a problem using snaps becomes. For some systems, snap packages cannot be used at all, while apt packages almost always work. Installing a snap doesn't mean the program will work. Installing an APT package doesn't mean the program will work either.

Different things on a Unix system (that include Linux systems), have similar considerations as well. Are the default programs pre-installed the best for every user? What about the pre-installed GUI? The answer to those is "it depends." An uninformed user wouldn't know to ask the question, much less know that there are options.

Beans

Thanks for guiding me,