Thread: ASUS ZENBOOKS compatibility with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Beans

ASUS ZENBOOKS compatibility with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Does anyone know if either of these Zenbooksw will work with Ubuntu 20.04LTS - Asus Zenbook 14 UX435 & Asus Zenbook 13 UX325.
    Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ASUS ZENBOOKS compatibility with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

What is "these Zenbooksw"? Linux doesn't run Windows software, if that is the question. Some software built for Windows may work under WINE, but IME, most does not.

I have an Asus laptop with an 8th gen Core i5. Can't remember having to do anything too special to install Ubuntu.

Did you google "ubuntu install Asus UX435"?

Beans

The "w" on the end of Zenbooks was a typo. I am asking if Ubuntu 20.04 LTS will run on these 2 new Asus laptops.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    What is "these Zenbooksw"? Linux doesn't run Windows software, if that is the question. Some software built for Windows may work under WINE, but IME, most does not.
    I have an Asus laptop with an 8th gen Core i5. Can't remember having to do anything too special to install Ubuntu.
    Did you google "ubuntu install Asus UX435"?
    Don'T get me wrong - I don'T want to sound rude - but having an ASUS device yourself you should be aware that ASUS is an OEM - and the ASUS Zen series is well known: Zenphones, Zenbooks - a few years ago there also were an asus zen tablet - but can'T remember its exact name.
    Also: This is the hardware sub-forum - so by chosing this sub-forum it should rather obvious OP is talking about some hardware ... I don't really get it how you came up with "asus zenbook" being some software.
    But the requote yourself: DID YOU asked google about what you suggested to OP? Doesn't looks like it to me ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

"Zenbooksw" looked to me like "Zenbook sw" - which could be interpreted in many different ways. That's why I asked. For clarification. Proprietary Windows drivers, perhaps for the keyboard back lights, was where my mind jumped since I do own an Asus laptop, but it could have been anything, like a fingerprint reader too.

Unfortunately, very few people own Zenbooks and run Ubuntu on them, so the question will not get many clicks. There are some other options, like using a virtual machine, however. There is an Asus laptop install how-to in the Ubuntu Community Wiki which has been around awhile. It has some tips for issues commonly seen. With my X510UAR, I don't recall any issues with the install that wouldn't be unexpected - wifi not working, backlight and fingerprint reader never worked. There aren't any drivers for the fingerprint reader. I never booted into Windows with it.

Cryptearch, Dude. Does your post help the OP? That's why I'm here and have a long history of trying to be helpful. Helping the OP get an answer should be the only reason to post.

Beans

No help from Google on these 2 new models re: Ubuntu compatibility. They have some features that Linux drivers may not have been written for yet (and maybe they never will be) - 1) Intel Optane 32GB Cache which speeds up performance 2) Modified touch pads, in one case it includes the Numberpad (for which there is no room on the keyboard), in the other case it is enlarged and includes elements from the display and other options.
    I had Ubuntu 20.04 LTS running on my Asus Zenbook 13 UX301LA, getting a bit old now, everything worked just fine. But it was stolen so that was that. I am trying to buy a suitable replacement. These new models look good but no point getting one if it's not going to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Info found with internet search - https://markperez.dev/blog/linux-asus-zenbook-ux325/

Thread about Intel Optane - https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2458373

Any interest?

Beans

@tea for one Thanks very much for this. I read both the linked items. Mark Perez article is a bit too good to be true. I've used Ubuntu for a long time & although I still know very little about it I know that new hardware frequently is not fully supported. He doesn't mention the odd Asus 'numberpad' which is a combination of a touchpad and the number keypad that doesn't fit on the key board. Nor does he mention the Intel Optane 32GB cache. I would be frankly amazed if Ubuntu 20.04 LTS could run both of these features and the iRISxe integrated graphics chip. The second link looks much more true to life, ie. complicated. Admittedly the OP is attempting a dual boot installation which would be completely beyond me. I notice you contributed to that thread as well & that the OP eventually had to disable Optane. I'm not sure what I'll do. It would be sensible just to buy older hardware I guess. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I understand that Asus Zenbooks are attractive propositions for you.
    You, together with the majority of Linux users myself included, have genuine concerns about compatibility, therefore I have to ask if you have considered a laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed?

Depending on your geographical location, there should be some reasonable choices.

Here is some light reading https://linuxpreloaded.com/

I'm sure other forum members will chip in if you need more info.