Thread: upgrading ubuntu-server-20.04.2-lts --> " " 21.10 impish daily build via an iso

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

upgrading ubuntu-server-20.04.2-lts --> " " 21.10 impish daily build via an iso

Questions:

1. Does "do-release-upgrade -d" get me the daily build or just the latest development release?

2. https://superuser.com/questions/7362...ck-without-bur
    indicates I should:

sudo mount -o loop ~/path/to/impish-live-server-amd64.iso /media/username/cdrom/

& gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Has anyone tried that?

3. Is there another better way to do this?

I'm trying to avoid having to reinstall & setup everything again.

Thanks

Beans

Re: upgrading ubuntu-server-20.04.2-lts --> " " 21.10 impish daily build via an iso

You will need to upgrade to 20.10 first. You can only leapfrog versions when you are upgrading LTS to LTS. The packages will install but you are not following the advised upgrade path.

Once you upgrade to 20.10 you can then upgrade to 21.04.

Alternatively, if you wait until April next year then a new LTS release will be available and you can upgrade directly to it from Focal (Ubuntu 20.04). If you do as you are doing then you will need to upgrade to 21.10 in order to then upgrade to the new LTS released the following year.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: upgrading ubuntu-server-20.04.2-lts --> " " 21.10 impish daily build via an iso

Thanks for your reply!

So essentially, I need to go:
    A, B, C, D in the "do-release-upgrade"
    And can't skip from A to D, right?

Have you ever tried the upgrade using an ISO?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Question also asked at https://askubuntu.com/questions/1353...uild-using-iso

Following is my response there (very like ActionParsnip's)

The use of `do-release-upgrade is bump` you to the next release (or next LTS if available); so currently that's groovy or 20.10 for you, not 21.04 or impish (though any time now groovy will disappear due EOL)... You can only upgrade to impish if you're on the lastest stable release, ie. currently you need to be on 21.04 which you are not.

Many of us upgrade to the development release, however you become off-topic at many support sites (you need to use #ubuntu+1 sites) so yes it works; I'm on impish myself - but you get there from the prior release; ie. I was on hirsute or 21.04 before I bumped to impish. You cannot skip releases; except from one LTS to the next LTS after the .1 has been released; ie. you'll be able to go from 20.04 to 22.04 after 22.04.1 has been released; that's the only fully & QA-tested release path outside of all releases.

There can be problems when using the development release, so be prepared to deal with it. If you call out for help, as already stated, you have fewer support sites open to you, and then only a smaller subset of the Ubuntu user base that actually uses development releases.

My system (impish) is a desktop; my server(s) are all stable releases, and I stick to LTS releases to avoid upgrading rather regularly. I see little benefit having a server on a development release.

Upgrading via ISO - I do it very regularly with desktops.

I'm on the Lubuntu team, and it's a QA-testcase for our system, so I test for it rather regularly there, and use it myself for desktop systems. Sorry I only release-upgrade servers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YQ002lc2 View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

So essentially, I need to go:
    A, B, C, D in the "do-release-upgrade"
    And can't skip from A to D, right?

Have you ever tried the upgrade using an ISO?
    Yes you need the intermediates. If you run:
    Code:
    sudo vi /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
    and change:
    Code:
    Prompt=lts
    to:
    Code:
    Prompt=normal
    Save and exit vi (feel free to use any text editor you like) then you can run:
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    and you will upgrade to 20.10. Once 20.10 boots up, you can rerun the same upgrade command to get to 21.04. You'll probably have a weird system as the old fluff from the old releases will still be around. Personally I prefer to do side-by-side upgrades and switch IPs under change rather than upgrading live servers in place. Alternatively, just wait for April next year and upgrade in one jump from LTS to LTS.

What is in the latest release that you want so badly?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks for all the replies!
    I was successful in upgrading to 21.10 using
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    and
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Thanks again!
    This thread can be closed as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by YQ002lc2; July 24th, 2021 at 12:34 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For what it's worth,
    the release channel from 20.04 has been moved up to 21.04.
    So no more 20.10 to deal with.
    Though this comment is mostly moot for the OP.
    Screenshot from 2021-07-24 11-31-08.png
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful