Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    undisclosed
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

    To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

    Have UbuntuStudio v18.04 installed on SSD drive, with VirtualBox v6.0 installed. See that an update is available.
    But in Synaptic Pkg Mgr it doesn't show it installed, but does show several version including 6.1.
    My VM is on another Hard Drive I connect ONLY when using VBox (have Kingswin Switcher).

    So, should I uninstall via Gdebi Pkg Installer? Then install fresh v6.1 - or - upon install will the install process see a current version and update it?

    Want to do this before upgrading System from v18.04 to v20.04. OR, perhaps wait to FRESH install v20.04 before installing Virtual Box?!?!

    Also see notes that QEMU-KVM is better than Vbox. Can I export my VM to be compatible with KVM? Or would I have to start all over building a new VM?
    (see this post https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2464211

    I use charting software and would hate to start over, as I have tons of Data on Stocks, Futures, ETFs using MetaStock with all kinds of extra Indicators etc. add ons. I need an easy but safe way to upgrade my system while keeping my existing VM safe and usable after an Upgrade to 20.04.

    Any thoughts would be very appreciated!

    OH ... FYI - SYSTEM INFO:

    Mobo:
    MSI 990FXA-GD65 v2R

    CPU:
    AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8 core ... with a Cooler Master GeminII S524 Version 2 CPU Air Cooler with 120 mm
    Silenx FP Fan, 2 more Fans - 1 Front, 1 Rear (70 CFM)

    RAM:
    2 x 8GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 Mhz (PC3 12800)

    GPU:
    ASUS GT610 w/2GB DDR3 Ram (running 2 monitors)

    PSU:
    Enermax ENP450AST 450 Watt

    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SATA III

    OS:
    UbuntuStudio-64 v18.04 LTS


    Thanks
    Last edited by Rick St. George; July 22nd, 2021 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added System Info

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I think I'm here! Maybe?
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

    You can not run a Virtualbox vdi VM machine directly in KVM/QEMU but it is fairly simple to export any VBox VM to an ova file, convert the vmdk file within the ova file to qcow2 in order to import it into KVM; I did this for all my VMs including Windows 10 and Windows 7 when I moved from VBox to KVM a long time ago.

    All details are shown in detail at https://dev.to/guinuxbr/convert-ova-to-qcow2-48f2

    It is a bit time consuming converting the ova file and very easy, but importing the qcow2 into KVM using virt-manager is quick and simple, and once done I can certainly confirm that KVM runs much better and faster in my experience than VBox.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    4,709

    Re: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick St. George View Post
    Want to do this before upgrading System from v18.04 to v20.04. OR, perhaps wait to FRESH install v20.04 before installing Virtual Box?!?!

    Also see notes that QEMU-KVM is better than Vbox. Can I export my VM to be compatible with KVM? Or would I have to start all over building a new VM?
    (see this post https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2464211
    For first question I would update the OS first, besides, if you go the "upgrade" route (not recommended. a fresh install is much more problem free) you should remove all third party software and ppa anyway, including Oracle's for VB.

    Second question, yes, you have to convert the VB image to kvm image first.

    e.g if you have a .vdi
    Code:
    qemu-img -f vdi -0 qcow2 /path/to/vdi /path/to/qcow2
    /path/to/vdi is your input .vdi file and /path/to/qcow2 is where you want to place your converted image (.qcow2)

    Then you just create a new vm from the output .qcow2 with say virt-manager. the qcow2 can be anywhere in your system, doesn't have to be in the default location /var/lib/libvirt/images. I have a old windows vda which I have converted and put the qcow2 in my home.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

    You mentioned in another thread that you had installed it much time ago straight from Oracle. That is why you don't see it as installed in Synaptic.I was going to mention there that the drawback to that (from Oracle) is that keeping it up to date is then on the user...

    Note that in the other thread, he was having vbox / Video problems on an update... I did think that thread would have worked got more exposure here.

    You have the hardware for KVM. Performance wise, I think you would be very happy with KVM.

    I am not familiar with what application you are using for your charting... So it would depend on what it requires for video. You said it requires 3D acceleration right?

    If you convert your VB VM to KVM, then use virtio driver of video, then select 3D acceleration...

    Well... You can have both installed until you get it working. Costs nothing to try to make it work.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 22nd, 2021 at 10:55 PM.

    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    4,709

    Re: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    If you convert your VB VM to KVM, then use virtio driver of video, then select 3D acceleration...
    .
    I could be wrong but AFAIK there is no working way to enable 3d acceleration for Windows guests without GPU passthrough. Probably the most straight forward thing you can do without passthrough is https://github.com/pal1000/mesa-dist-win/releases. Download the archive in the Win guest and click the .run file to install then reboot. It will update the opengl version so you can run some programs which otherwise won't run, but that's about it, no performance boost to speak of.

    As for Linux guest, I find virgl incredibly amazing, but stock qemu from Ubuntu's repository doesn't support it, so you have to either compile it yourself or install the snap. There is also a ppa with virgl capable qemu for Ubuntu 18.04 and a very old version qemu.
    I managed to get it working with latest qemu 6 but I can't get it to work with virt-manager. Will post a more detailed thread when I sort my thoughts out.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 22nd, 2021 at 11:17 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    undisclosed
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

    Re: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

    Thanks guys! AJ, I am assuming conversion can be made after install of "qemu-utils", as it is one of the dependencies for "qemu-kvm" to install?

    If so,

    1. I will EXPORT to an .ova (on another HDD)

    2. I'll wait until upgrade to 20.04 goes OK,

    3. then Install "qemu-kvm", run the conversion to import my Vbox VM into KVM.

    Got it. Will report back and close thread.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    4,709

    Re: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick St. George View Post
    Thanks guys! AJ, I am assuming conversion can be made after install of "qemu-utils", as it is one of the dependencies for "qemu-kvm" to install?

    If so,

    1. I will EXPORT to an .ova (on another HDD)

    2. I'll wait until upgrade to 20.04 goes OK,

    3. then Install "qemu-kvm", run the conversion to import my Vbox VM into KVM.

    Got it. Will report back and close thread.
    You don't need to export to .ova first if you use my command.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

    I did not realize it was a Windows guest... And as I very rarely do Windows Guests in KVM... LOL

    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Beans
    2,904
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick St. George View Post
    But in Synaptic Pkg Mgr it doesn't show it installed, but does show several version including 6.1.
    You perhaps installed it manually via downloading the software directly from Oracle?

    There's one big difference between Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 when it comes to Virtualbox: Virtualbox 6.1.x is directly available from the Ubuntu 20.04 "multiverse" repositories. In 20.04 you don't need PPA's or any manual downloads for it.

    Because of this I'd recommend this approach:

    • remove your manual installation of Virtualbox...
    • upgrade your Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04
    • reinstall Virtualbox from the Ubuntu 20.04 "multiverse" repositories, packages: "virtualbox" and "virtualbox-ext-pack"



    Output from my system:

    Code:
    > apt show virtualbox
    
    Package: virtualbox
    Version: 6.1.16-dfsg-6~ubuntu1.20.04.2
    Priority: optional
    Section: multiverse/misc
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Original-Maintainer: Debian Virtualbox Team <team+debian-virtualbox@tracker.debian.org>
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Installed-Size: 112 MB
    Depends: adduser, iproute2, procps, virtualbox-dkms (>= 6.1.16-dfsg-6~ubuntu1.20.04.2) | virtualbox-source (>= 6.1.16-dfsg-6~ubuntu1.20.04.2) | virtualbox-modules, python3 (<< 3.9), python3 (>= 3.8~), python3.8, 
    python3:any, libc6 (>= 2.29), libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.2), libdevmapper1.02.1 (>= 2:1.02.97), libgcc-s1 (>= 3.0), libgl1, libgsoap-2.8.91, liblzf1 (>= 1.5), libopus0 (>= 1.1), libpng16-16 (>= 1.6.2-1), 
    libpython3.8 (>= 3.8.2), libsdl1.2debian (>= 1.2.11), libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.1), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2), libvncserver1 (>= 0.9.10), libvpx6 (>= 1.6.0), libx11-6, libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxml2 (>= 2.7.4), libxt6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
    Recommends: virtualbox-qt (= 6.1.16-dfsg-6~ubuntu1.20.04.2), libqt5core5a (>= 5.12.2), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.0.2) | libqt5gui5-gles (>= 5.0.2), libqt5opengl5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.0.2), libxcb1, libxext6
    Suggests: vde2, virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
    Conflicts: virtualbox-2.0, virtualbox-2.1, virtualbox-2.2, virtualbox-3.0, virtualbox-3.1, virtualbox-3.2, virtualbox-4.0, virtualbox-4.1, virtualbox-4.2, virtualbox-4.3, virtualbox-5.0, virtualbox-5.1, virtualbox-5.2, 
    virtualbox-6.0, virtualbox-6.1
    Homepage: https://www.virtualbox.org
    Download-Size: 21.5 MB
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/multiverse amd64 Packages
    Description: x86 virtualization solution - base binaries
     VirtualBox is a free x86 virtualization solution allowing a wide range
     of x86 operating systems such as Windows, DOS, BSD or Linux to run on a
     Linux system.
     .
     This package provides the binaries for VirtualBox. Either the virtualbox-dkms
     or the virtualbox-source package is also required in order to compile the
     kernel modules needed for virtualbox. A graphical user interface for
     VirtualBox is provided by the package virtualbox-qt.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    4,709

    Re: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

    Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    You perhaps installed it manually via downloading the software directly from Oracle?

    There's one big difference between Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 when it comes to Virtualbox: Virtualbox 6.1.x is directly available from the Ubuntu 20.04 "multiverse" repositories. In 20.04 you don't need PPA's or any manual downloads for it.

    Because of this I'd recommend this approach:

    • remove your manual installation of Virtualbox...
    • upgrade your Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04
    • reinstall Virtualbox from the Ubuntu 20.04 "multiverse" repositories, packages: "virtualbox" and "virtualbox-ext-pack"



    Output from my system:

    Code:
    > apt show virtualbox
    
    Package: virtualbox
    Version: 6.1.16-dfsg-6~ubuntu1.20.04.2
    Priority: optional
    Section: multiverse/misc
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Original-Maintainer: Debian Virtualbox Team <team+debian-virtualbox@tracker.debian.org>
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Installed-Size: 112 MB
    Depends: adduser, iproute2, procps, virtualbox-dkms (>= 6.1.16-dfsg-6~ubuntu1.20.04.2) | virtualbox-source (>= 6.1.16-dfsg-6~ubuntu1.20.04.2) | virtualbox-modules, python3 (<< 3.9), python3 (>= 3.8~), python3.8, 
    python3:any, libc6 (>= 2.29), libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.2), libdevmapper1.02.1 (>= 2:1.02.97), libgcc-s1 (>= 3.0), libgl1, libgsoap-2.8.91, liblzf1 (>= 1.5), libopus0 (>= 1.1), libpng16-16 (>= 1.6.2-1), 
    libpython3.8 (>= 3.8.2), libsdl1.2debian (>= 1.2.11), libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.1), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2), libvncserver1 (>= 0.9.10), libvpx6 (>= 1.6.0), libx11-6, libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxml2 (>= 2.7.4), libxt6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
    Recommends: virtualbox-qt (= 6.1.16-dfsg-6~ubuntu1.20.04.2), libqt5core5a (>= 5.12.2), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.0.2) | libqt5gui5-gles (>= 5.0.2), libqt5opengl5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.0.2), libxcb1, libxext6
    Suggests: vde2, virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
    Conflicts: virtualbox-2.0, virtualbox-2.1, virtualbox-2.2, virtualbox-3.0, virtualbox-3.1, virtualbox-3.2, virtualbox-4.0, virtualbox-4.1, virtualbox-4.2, virtualbox-4.3, virtualbox-5.0, virtualbox-5.1, virtualbox-5.2, 
    virtualbox-6.0, virtualbox-6.1
    Homepage: https://www.virtualbox.org
    Download-Size: 21.5 MB
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/multiverse amd64 Packages
    Description: x86 virtualization solution - base binaries
     VirtualBox is a free x86 virtualization solution allowing a wide range
     of x86 operating systems such as Windows, DOS, BSD or Linux to run on a
     Linux system.
     .
     This package provides the binaries for VirtualBox. Either the virtualbox-dkms
     or the virtualbox-source package is also required in order to compile the
     kernel modules needed for virtualbox. A graphical user interface for
     VirtualBox is provided by the package virtualbox-qt.

    I think the version from the repo is a "community edition" which are missing some features, kind of like Chromium vs Chrome (Debian would not maintain "proprietary" stuff). When you download from Oracle you can enable its repository instead of just installing the .deb,then it will be upgraded when a new version is available. See the part about adding keys and repository.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •