Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: To Update VBox B4/after Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 -or- Switch to KVM

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I think the version from the repo is a "community edition" which are missing some features
    virtualbox-ext-pack is there in the repositories as well. You install that and you get everything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Backup. Everyone think. Please do not cause this person extra work...

I don't believe that the edition in the repo's is a community edition. Maybe from Oracle, upstream, but not as from Ubuntu. It is still upstream from Oracle. What he has is just older. It's just like other 3rd Party package editions of software versus the Editions of software in the new SnapCraft Store... On Ubuntu Repo editions of 3rd Party, it's repackage by an Ubuntu maintainer for a specific Ubuntu Release version, and if you are on that Ubuntu Version, say 20.04 LTS, then you are locked into that mated version of the application for the life of when you are on that release of Ubuntu... Even when the application vendor came out with a newer version There's pro's and cons to that... (not discussed here) But does receive upstream patches.

On installed versions of VB form Oracle, there's two scenario's... either it got installed as a stand-alone Deb package (which I think the OP mentioned in 1 of his two threads) and got installed manually. In that scenario, the application is standalone and receives no updates, nor patches...

Or the what we will call scenario 2, where you add the oracle repo... where it gets patches and upgrades...

The OP's primary goal is to upgrade to 20.04, with continued access with his VM.

He doesn't have to uninstall VB to upgrade releases. There is really not reason to do that. The only reason he had issues before with this was issues related to 3D acceleration, related to his host system's video driver, during an 18.04 video driver update...
    RE: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2465112

Now that that is resolved, that shouldn't prevent him from upgrading his release to 20.04... He should be able to now upgrade his release of Ubuntu and deal with VB when he does that. Since that VM is important to him, I would at least backup that VM, before doing that, at a minimum,,, He didn't receive any updates to VB, so I don't think he installed the Oracle repo...

If he had, then he would have to disable that repo, any other 3rd party repo's (such as Google Chrome's) and any PPA's before doiing the release upgrade.

Before he upgrades VB, before he does anything... He needs to uninstall VB guest additions... that is tied to the VB version. if he does do that first, he's going to l9se acces to that VM right? Then he can do whatever...

What I remember from VB OVAs between the Ubuntu repo versions and the Oracle versions is that you needed to pay attention to the application version numbers... you can go to the same or higher... easily. Backwards is, well... I don't think he's going to run into that.

Then you all can go back to discussiing personal preferences, right? LOL Just saying...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 23rd, 2021 at 05:43 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    He doesn't have to uninstall VB to upgrade releases.
    I did. And it worked pretty well. Advantage of getting your Virtualbox and the Extension pack from the Ubuntu 20.04 repositories: It also automagically works with all Kernel updates you receive, thanks to some automatic "dkms" magic happening in the background. In other words: No suddenly broken Virtualbox after a kernel update, no Extension pack mismatch after a Virtualbox update, and so on. It all gets updated by "apt" like the rest of the system. Since everything is coming from the Ubuntu maintainers it all "just works".

Removing Virtualbox should not delete your personal settings stored in "~/.config/Virtualbox" or your virtual machines stored in "~/VirtualBox\ VMs" ... so once the OS is upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 and the "virtualbox" and "virtualbox-ext-pack" packages are installed again, this new Virtualbox installation should easily be able to find the configuration settings and load the stored VM's again.

At least that was the case for me.
    Last edited by scorp123; July 23rd, 2021 at 06:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Agreed with Scorp123 on changing to a repo version. Is less problems on both VB and on your NVidia card drivers from the Ubuntu repo versions. As he said, the biggest problems with both of those (not just VBox) is when Ubuntu does a Kernel Update. The VBox modules are compiled and added to Kernel. They need to work with that Kernel. Just as NVidia drivers and DKMS do, with kernel updates.

Both NVidia and Oracle, don't tie their versions to a specific Distro, and have no idea when a Distro is going to do a kernel update... So when Ubuntu does an Update, which usually on Kernel, then all of a sudden, users of manually installed versions have problems. That is one of the perc's of the Ubuntu Repo versions of both those.

AND you just experienced a taste of that with your NVidia video driver. This is one "more" of the Pro's that I didn't discuss above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just to offer the other side of this Oracle-repository vs Ubuntu-repository version of VirtualBox, in the time that I used VirtualBox it was always the Oracle version straight from their repos which were added to my software sources, so VBox was upgraded each time a new version appeared in exactly the same way as every other installed package.

I never had any difficulties when a new kernel version appeared in the upgrades though I did have to upgrade the Guest Additions when I opened the upgraded VBox-manager window for the first time, a dialogue box appearing with link to get the new Guest Additions and install them. Everything worked seamlessly though I must add a caveat that I do not and have never used an nvidia graphic card which others seem to be saying can cause problems.

Beans

My two cents. Unless you have identified a specific need for something you know you need that is not in the repro version always use the repro version.,It's easier to update and less likely to cause a problem. If you have a problem you are more likely to find help here than anywhere else since so many users are using the same version on the same distro. In the past I've gone to software specific sources and after explaining my issue had the problem blamed on the distro not the packages in question.

Beans

When I used VB I always use Oracle's repo, I have never had any upgrade problem. As ajgreeny said after each update there is a popup with link to download the matching guest-additions. Yes I do have a Nvidia card (not sure what the relation is anyway)

But I suppose if you do distro upgrade you need to remove the repo first, I don't really know since I don't do distro upgrade which I find problematic for other reasons. I always backup my data and do a fresh install.

I stopped using VB in Ubuntu 20.04 and moved to kvm because it installs python-is-python2 as a dependency which sets the default python to python2 which makes no sense and can potentially mess up my other python applications. I think that happens regardless whether you install from Oracle's or Ubuntu's repo
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 24th, 2021 at 08:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just FYI-

The NVidia issue is not just NVidia, but includes AMD video also... It is from the past. If you installed vendor binaries instead of the Ubuntu Repo's 3rd party drivers, then a kernel update would cause problems,.. because the install scripts built the modules off of what kernel it was installed with. Some of those problems aren't as common now, because of a lot of inclusions in Kernel now, which one is that dkms is part of a kernel update now. But it still happens on some Kernel updates.

I used to support high end graphics in the Linux Graphics Layer, so had lots of test machines with both Vendor's cards. I don't know how many times there would be a kernel update, and on a reboot, there would be no graphics at all. I would repeatedly have to boot as text only, and in command line, have to uninstall and reinstall the graphics drivers manually.Even when the drivers were the same version, just to recompile the kernel modules to the newer kernel version.No normal user should have to go through that, again and again. That's why I steer user's away from the Vendor binaries now. Much easier to use the packaged drivers from the Repo.

VirtualBox, it you just install only the deb file, instead adding their repo, then it doe's the same, compiles the binaries with the current Kernel for their "4" kernel modules... and on a Kernel update where certain features changed... well...

VBox 3d Acceleration uses DRM and DKMS from the Video Card's driver modules. So if there is a problem with those in an update, then VBox loses it in guest with 3D enabled. If you use the Ubuntu Repo 3rd Party video drivers, they get updated for kernels and have less problems with that...

I personally stopped using VBox on 14.04... But I still had to support Computer Science college students until recently, who had to use that, because their equipment couldn't run Type 1 Hypervisors. For example, some of them could only afford ChromeBooks. What else were they going to run VM's on. LOL

That is the background on that.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 24th, 2021 at 08:55 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Just FYI-

The NVidia issue is not just NVidia, but includes AMD video also... It is from the past. If you installed vendor binaries instead of the Ubuntu Repo's 3rd party drivers, then a kernel update would cause problems,.. because the install scripts built the modules off of what kernel it was installed with. Some of those problems aren't as common now, because of a lot of inclusions in Kernel now, which one is that dkms is part of a kernel update now. But it still happens on some Kernel updates.

Most people know about the headache of installing Nvidia driver with the .run file, but Nvidia actually has a .deb repository for its drivers except it is not called that, it is the cuda repo and is accessed through the cuda download page instead of the graphic drivers download page. You can just install the driver without the cuda stuffs just with sudo apt install nvidia-xxx

The problem is the drivers included in that repo are missing 32 bit support (32 bit support removed from the drivers packaged in the cuda repo since cuda 10.0, though Nvidia still supports it if you install the drivers other ways) so if you use it for steam, for example you are out of luck. I use cuda but I prefer to install a local version myself and install the driver from the graphic driver ppa (you can install cuda in your $HOME with Nvidia's script without installing the driver) since cuda updates often break backward compatibility I would rather I control the version rather than let it be updated by Nvidia.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 24th, 2021 at 09:15 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12