Thread: How can I easilly check cpu temp

Beans

How can I easilly check cpu temp

I'm working with an old laptop who's fan died so until a new one arrives I'm sandwiching it between ice packs and laptop fans.

So in this meantime and for future use I'd like to be able to monitor the cpu temp. How so? And what Temps arenhaelthy/dangerous? Thanks

I'm currently running the live DVD of 16.0.4(till I'm able to upgrade, working on it)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I easilly check cpu temp

Install psensor. It is in the Ubuntu software store. It puts an icon in the top panel that will give a drop down menu showing motherboard, CPU, disk driver temperatures as well as fan speeds.

A similar utility is lm-sensors

https://github.com/lm-sensors/lm-sensors

There is also a command line utility called htop that can be installed.

https://htop.dev/

The software store also has sensor-unity.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks! And do you happen to know what's a bad temp?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by juntjoo2 View Post
    Thanks! And do you happen to know what's a bad temp?
    Depends on the CPU. Check manufacturers documentation as well as the cooling you are using. There is no single value here

Beans

Like this?

"./configure; make; sudo make install"

I tried this from htop. Dev but it returned:

"no such file or directory"

My "Ubuntu software" app isn't even connecting to the internet. I AM connected though

Beans

never mind, I got it, thanks.

Beans

Please mark as solved if the issue is resolved, or ask a question / provide additional information

Beans
    Hidden!

I have hardinfo (which came with Lubuntu), and the package has the same name as the program.

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install hardinfo
    Hardinfo is a graphical tool, that shows a lot of information about the comuter's hardware, also temperature of the processors.

I use the text mode tool hddtemp to check the temperature of the SATA drives and nvme to check for it on nvme drives.
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install hddtemp nvme-cli

sudo hddtemp /dev/sda
    sudo nvme smart-log /dev/nvme0n1
    My version of Disks (gnome-disks) in 18.04 LTS can also see temperature of the HDDs and SATA SSDs, but not nvme drives. It might work better in newer versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm not sure what you mean by "I got it".

psensor, lm-sensors, htop can all be installed from the repositories, either using the GUI tool or from command line:
    Code:
    sudo apt install psensor
    et cetera.

On a live dvd, changes aren't saved when you reboot, so you have to install them each time again. On a live usb with persistence the software will still be there after a reboot.

And on 16.04 the repositories may no longer be online, making installation a bit harder. You could change software sources to old-releases.

Laptop hardware is designed to be able to run quite hot, mostly because it has rather poor cooling. The CPU in my 10 year old laptop can reach 80⁰C. When you start smelling hot plastic, you're close to the limit. CPUs are designed to trottle down when they get too hot, but I don't want to rely on that. I've experienced heat-induced memory corruption before the CPU trottled down. No hardware failure though.

Keep in mind that the temperatures reported by the mentioned tools sometimes suffer from calibration errors.