Thread: What does this mean? initramfs (problem?), wants to boot from an old swap partition

Beans

What does this mean? initramfs (problem?), wants to boot from an old swap partition

See for yourself, I never saw this before. I forgot to get rid of an old swap partition on /sda/5 . Ubuntu Mate is installed on sdb. This makes me afraid to reboot. In 10 years of linux usage where I understand what I'm doing, for the most part, I can't figure out this update process and there doesn't seem to be much about it. Check it out, it will be simpler this way : (btw, I see it is giving me a way to opt out, but I can't type or do anything, it's configuring stuff when this shows up. Please help, I was about to install Wine and that demands a reboot on my side, since I gotta install the whole 32 bit library stuff.

dq1o66.jpg
    Last edited by slickymaster; July 21st, 2021 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Removed large image

Beans

Re: What does this mean? initramfs (problem?), wants to boot from an old swap partiti

I just read how it may be corrected by creating /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and putting RESUME=none in there. I have mint 17.3 which is very past its time on sda1 also. Should I run OS-Uninstaller? I used it before and it works fine, but a reboot only shows you the result, can't understand why the system insists on having my oldest smallest ridiculous first generation WD Black Caviar SATA at 200gb that I keep in there just because it will not die be sda, in my system settings it's listed third out of 3 in boot order when it comes to the internal drives section, unlike a couple WD Reds in between when I bought it and now. I got all of it backed up anyway (the whole partition), so whatever data I might want to keep on sda1, I already saved it all.

This doesn't look good and I just after a couple weeks got everything the way I like them, this out-there never seen before kernel update error confuses me, I think it might not be a good idea to go into gparted and delete that swap partition right now. OS-Uninstaller and then Boot-Repair should do it, Boot-Repair always fixed everything, thats why I keep a dvd since years with Boot-Repair OS, which is just Lubuntu with a bunch of "IT" tools coming with it, I'd rather be able to repair and prevent this error before rebooting at all though. Gah, not starting the day too well

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: What does this mean? initramfs (problem?), wants to boot from an old swap partiti

Please do not post large images into your posts. Many of our users have slow internet connections and data limits. Large images can take a long time to load -- and may even cost a user extra money. Use the attachment functionality provided by the paperclip button above the text entry box.

Beans

What does this mean? initramfs (problem?)
    Edit the file /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and set resume to equal the UUID of the new swap partition. Then run:
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u

Beans

yes, I saw also putting the line RESUME=NONE and also

Code:
    user@desktop:~$ cat /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
    RESUME=UUID=1053a199-0b8f-44ae-9356-c04f5864b138
      /etc/default/grub also could contain option for resume from swap partition:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash resume=/dev/sda5"

sudo update-grub
    sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)
    What if I just remove Linux Mint 17.3 from sda1 and the swap (sda5) by using OS-Uninstaller and then run boot-repair? Do I have to keep things this way? I would hope not, I don't even remember my password for LM 17.3, I just left it there because I got plenty of 200gb's at faster speed than 3gb/sec SATA, never bothered removing mint, but it looks like it might be the smart thing to do. Maybe I have to do what you're saying (its similar to what I've pasted here that I found elsewhere) before doing that, looking like I won't be able to boot if the swap on another drive is gone (I didn't create a swap for 20.04 as it is not needed, had no idea it would start using the swap from another drive).

Why is initramfs/ (grub too?) being installed there, I can speed boot directly from any drive at post, but I can't select a partition to do so.

Thanks a lot, a bit more guidance would be appreciated. Because I think the first "help" I found just told me to create the resume file and put those values in, which ignore the kernel updates...I hope not? If normal booting fails, I wonder what will happen if I speed boot directly on the drive 20.04 is on.

P.S. Sorry mods, I didn't intend on making a duplicate thread, I pressed the back button to edit, but I guess it brought me back to the post creation page and I didn't notice. Old enough to know better than doublepost.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I see the same message and I just ignore it. Rebooting is not a problem. the loading of the OS takes much longer as the kernel tries to find the swap partition and does this for a while until it gives up.

In my case this happened when I installed a version of Debian and I think it gave a new UUID to the swap partition on that hard disk. I have tried setting the resume variable to the new UUID and updating initramfs but the problem remains. So, I just get on with life. It only affects the installs put in before Debian was installed. One day I will fix this by doing clean installs.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530