Thread: two drives

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

two drives

i got my Linux drive, and my other linux drive. so far they are not compatible. one is ssd, the other is hdd. remember before, i was trying to get two linux OS, on one drive. the ssd drive is working the other drive has puppy on it. i got lubuntu, an mint on the ssd drive, puppy aint as friendly. best i can remember tonight, it dont like UUID?. i also got REfind, but cant understand how it works yet. (too much going on)., an still havent read the books i got to understand linux. (just a bit, not enough), got the spirit though. always will. the ssd drive sees the hdd drive, just havent figured out how to connect. i read Rods Books sum, none has soaked in enough yet. thats where i got the ideal. guess i should keep reading. y'all know though i play golf, two minor strokes, two major ones. just hope i play on, an you too. //ed
    i didnt say i appreciate all the help before, an i better quit writing, while i can..
    Last edited by oneleded; July 21st, 2021 at 06:52 AM.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: two drives

Is there a question? If so, we need details about what you hope to achieve and the hardware.

Puppy has been replaced around here by a flash drive with Ubuntu-Mate on it that boots into a "Try Ubuntu" mode. Anything can be fixed from that boot. I've run for 5 days using Try Ubuntu mode when a HDD died and shipping of the replacement was slow.

I haven't dual booted in a long time. Much prefer to use virtual machines to try out other releases. Zero risk to my HDDs and data in doing that. No chance that a bad setup will accidentally wipe the main OS either. Virtual machines use virtual storage, which gets setup by us, usually as a big file. The virtual machine cannot write outside that file and harm the main OS on the system, unless we do a number of manual steps to allow it. I don't think it would be possible to cause harm to the main OS from inside a VM by accident, no matter what you do.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 24th, 2021 at 05:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I will add a note in reply to your reference to ReFIND and Rod's Books.

I use ReFIND to choose booting between 1 internal HDD (Windows 10) and two external SSD's (Ubuntu and backup).

Install efibootmgr (instructions here .. https://www.lifewire.com/change-the-...ootmgr-4028027)

sudo apt install efibootmgr

Now if your run efibootmgr you can change boot order.

You can also choose ReFIND from menu to boot up and you see the ReFIND GUI.

Last edited by dragonfly41; July 23rd, 2021 at 07:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

thanks, slow i am. i'll practice on phrasing a question. on the side, i havent had windows, since 2016..
    Last edited by oneleded; July 28th, 2021 at 08:29 AM.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

this post of mine was nonsense, so i changed it. no need to waste anybody else's time reading it.. trying out your suggestions, thanks.
    Last edited by oneleded; August 6th, 2021 at 08:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

installing efi boot manager
    Last edited by oneleded; August 6th, 2021 at 07:51 AM. Reason: trying to delete

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i have given this a lot of thought, and putting this, on only one drive, is different than two drives.. so the thread i posted, dont count for much. thanks to being patient while i figured this out.
    the info i based this on was for only for one drive. my question was based on two drives. so it dont count quite yet. if not for this place, i would have never figured this out.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

just for kicks, i may have said this before, i dont have windows, an havent since 2016. so, i might be working from a different perspective. the last windows i had was xp, an i run it into the ground, even after it expired, an before i went total linux. just a few years later, half a decade, im still here, an glad of it..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

time fly's by, an i got to mark this as solved, as i got to do more research, is my main problem. no need to leave this hanging. i thank ya all for the help ya have given me. an hope to report back soon.. for the thread gets locked..