Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu on HP Omen Desktop

Beans

Installing Ubuntu on HP Omen Desktop

I recently decided to try installing Ubuntu on my PC (an HP Omen 25L desktop) alongside Windows 10 to dual boot. The system has two drives: an SSD for the OS and a larger HDD for data storage. When I try installing Ubuntu from a USB, it doesn't detect the SSD and tries to install on the HDD, which is obviously not what I want. Poking around, I found that this is often because Windows systems with multiple drives have a RAID configuration rather than AHCI, which Ubuntu apparently doesn't like. However, I cannot find any options in the BIOS to change this.
    My question is this: is installing Ubuntu on this device even possible, or has HP foiled me once again?
    Thank you!

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu on HP Omen Desktop

There may be other reasons the SSD isn't shown. Check the Windows Power options and ensure that shutdown is not set to "hibernate". chkdsk the Windows disk for any errors too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by technicallytrue View Post
    is installing Ubuntu on this device even possible, or has HP foiled me once again?
    Why wouldn't it be possible? HP overall is very Linux-friendly, e.g. they are one of the biggest contributors to the "Linux Printing Project" and like 99% of their printers/scanners/multi-function devices are super easy to get working under Linux. As for their "Omen" gaming PC's: I myself own a HP Omen 870-290nz Desktop with 1 x 512 GB SSD and 2 x 4 TB HDD. Ubuntu works tip top here.

Please check that BIOS again. Also check that installer again, e.g. go into "Live Session" mode and open a terminal and then type these commands:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    sudo lsblk
    This should list all the disk devices the installer can see. Please copy & paste that output here so we can see it. Maybe the disk you wanted to install Ubuntu on is using a strange name (e.g. /dev/nvme0 instead of /dev/sda ... stuff like that) and it's thus not immediately obvious which device you are supposed to choose...?

Beans

If you boot to Windows, then shut it down (not reboot) then cold boot to the Ubuntu installer, does it help. Windows doesn't fully shut down if you reboot and may still be holding the storage, making it unavailable to the Ubuntu system

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

@scorp123: Oddly enough, the boot ssd does show up in the terminal (listed as /dev/nvme0n1), but it a) only shows up as half its actual size, and b) still doesn't appear when actually trying to install (I can only choose to install it on the 1 TB hard drive). It also has the following info:
    Code:
    Disklabel type: gpt

Device                Start          End      Sectors      Size    Type
    /dev/nvme0n1p1         2048       534527       532480      260M    EFI System
    /dev/nvme0n1p2       534528       567295        32768       16M    Microsoft reserved
    /dev/nvme0n1p3       567296    498999295    498432000    237.7G    Microsoft basic data
    /dev/nvme0n1p4    498999296    500105215      1105920      540M    Windows recovery environment
    Maybe that has something to do with it.

@ubfan1 and @ActionParsnip: Yes, I fully shut it down before attempting the installation. I like to think I'm not entirely hopeless

Thanks again for helping!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I found that this is often because Windows systems with multiple drives have a RAID configuration rather than AHCI, which Ubuntu apparently doesn't like. However, I cannot find any options in the BIOS to change this. My question is this: is installing Ubuntu on this device even possible, or has HP foiled me once again?
    HP have an interactive BIOS web page - Is this your PC http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06592756

If so, then the setting may be Configuration > SATA Emulation > AHCI (with down arrow)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@scorp123: Oddly enough, the boot ssd does show up in the terminal (listed as /dev/nvme0n1), but it a) only shows up as half its actual size, and b) still doesn't appear when actually trying to install (I can only choose to install it on the 1 TB hard drive). It also has the following info:
    Code:
    Disklabel type: gpt

Device                Start          End      Sectors      Size    Type
    /dev/nvme0n1p1         2048       534527       532480      260M    EFI System
    /dev/nvme0n1p2       534528       567295        32768       16M    Microsoft reserved
    /dev/nvme0n1p3       567296    498999295    498432000    237.7G    Microsoft basic data
    /dev/nvme0n1p4    498999296    500105215      1105920      540M    Windows recovery environment
    According to that list there must be a Microsoft Windows 10 environment on that SSD. You are sure you want to completely destroy that Windows 10 installation and overwrite it with Ubuntu?

OK, boot Ubuntu's live environment, e.g. either via a bootable DVD, or USB stick. Once you're in the live session desktop click the "Start" menu in the lower left corner. You should get this screen where also a program with the name "GParted" is being listed.

Screenshot:
    Gparted_1.jpg

Open that program. It should be able to list your SSD, even if the installer can not. Now ... in its menu, go:
    Device > Create new partition table ...

BEFORE YOU CLICK ON ANYTHING PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU REALLY SELECTED THE CORRECT DISK, e.g. the SSD you want to overwrite and not the HDD that has the data you want to keep!!

What follows now is DESTRUCTIVE and will WIPE whatever was on that disk. Again: Please make sure you selected the correct one!!

The program will also ask you if you are 100% sure if this really is what you want.
    Screenshot from a VM, the virtual harddrive here is called "/dev/sda". Your's should be "/dev/nvme0n1" ...

Also make sure you select "gpt" as partition type.
    Screenshot:

Gparted_2.jpg

"GParted" should be able to wipe your SSD clean and from here onwards it should be possible to select it as installation target in the installer.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The output from post no.6 has some missing info i.e. the input code and the full size of the disk (irrespective of partition sizes)

Code:
    edited@edited:~$ lsblk /dev/nvme0n1
    NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    nvme0n1     259:0    0 232.9G  0 disk This line is missing from your output
    ├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
    ├─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0    27G  0 part /
    ├─nvme0n1p3 259:3    0    29G  0 part /home
    └─nvme0n1p4 259:4    0   150G  0 part /mnt/381ee381-e1af-4ca4-9a8d-fcccf8987669
    edited@edited:~$

Beans

@tea for one
    Sadly, the interactive BIOS doesn't match, despite saying it's for OMEN 30 and 25 L. Mine doesn't have the SATA Emulation field.
    Also, with regards to your second post, I dunno what to tell you. It didn't have that line.

@scorp123
    I think you misunderstand me. I'm not trying to overwrite the Windows partition, it's just that the Windows partition doesn't take up the whole drive, so I want to use the rest of the drive (there should be about half left) for Ubuntu. For whatever reason, though, the non-partitioned bit doesn't seem to be appearing in the lsblk and fdisk -l output.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast