Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I did something wrong with 20.04]

Beans

Re: I did something wrong with 20.04]

I booted from the 20.04 disk and the full system check came up with no errors.

I'm currently logged in with the live disk. If reboot without it should I do another fsck?
    Are there other tests that might show useful things
    Gparted has other tests. Would that info be useful now, or can I wait and do it later?
    There are only 2 partitions. One is empty, except for a file labeled

"Ubiquity.desktop" Its property shows 8.3 kb

When I got into the system, I found part of the problem was it was booting into the "empty" partition with 535.8 MB
    The primary partition is 640 GB.

I just ran the Disks & Storage test. It shows The HDD partition 15.7 GB is being used (With some contents unreadable)
    Under the disk measurement, there is a 20.3 GB used.
    Yet it looks like the difference between the two - is about 4.6 GB that is somewhere else. Is this significant?

For some reason, when I set up this hard drive about a year ago, I set it up under a sub-folder. If that's what it's called.
    I'd like to change it to make it my boot partition.
    If you can't take a hoof - don't stand behind the mule

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For disks, there are lots of tools.
    smartctl, fdisk, badblocks are the main ones. Avoid GUIs. They lie. They often oversimplify way too much and provide misleading output.

For some reason, when I set up this hard drive about a year ago, I set it up under a sub-folder. If that's what it's called.
    I'd like to change it to make it my boot partition.
    Don't understand this. Sorry.

Booting on UEFI systems has a specific standard that must be followed. Attempt to change that if you'd like a dead box that only boots from flash storage.

Beans

FU
    [QUOTE]
    Three days ago I got email bombed. In less than 24 hours, spanning 2 days, I was sent about 300 emails. Most were repetitive and the time stamps showed they came within seconds of each other.. I read that this was probably a denial of service attack. But I can't understand why it would hit me. If they were after $$ they were far, far off base.
    Blood from a stone, etc.
    How would I be able to find out who sent this and what the damage (assuming they are not running under TOR)
    I've been using my old Windows XP system until I get straightened out. Does an out-of-date operating system make it easier crack over all ? Or, since it was an via gmail attack, neither Linux or Windows make a difference?
    I did go through my gmail account and deleted all of the suspicious messages and I have not opened any of my important links.
    Have you heard of any other on-going attacks?]

Also:

Do you know what these symbols mean or are used for?

⚠️��������_������������
    Last edited by Gnusboy; July 28th, 2021 at 09:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

300 emails isn't a DoS attack. 30,000 wouldn't be a DoS attack, unless you are on a 2400 baud modem.

Probably want to open a new thread for these questions, since they aren't related to fsck.

Beans

Got it. Thanks,
    Gawd, I remember 2400 Baud. The first time I used a computer was on a trash 80. We used it to file stories at the newspaper where I worked '86. It was a on a blazing fast 300 baud connection. When I went to work at a bigger paper, they ran the entire system on a 20 MB server.
    The I.T. got himself "god's own computer" it was a 286 with 2, count 'em, 2 MB of memory.
    Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.
    P.S.
    Granny's on the CB waitin' to hear from you.

Beans

Touche'

Beans

Re: I need some help! I did something wrong

I hope there is someone to answer a question before I do something stupid.

I've been working through a series of issues with 20.04 and my system. I've had many starts and stops during this process - Life gets in my way - a lot.

I used the Live disk to get into home / documents, then did a copy/paste of the entire home folder
    and dropped it onto the 1 TB external drive. I saw the folder was there, but I did not have the time to check if it was complete.

So, that brings us to this day. I booted the Live disk, The HDD is a 650 GB main partition - with a 530 MB partition.
    and opened a terminal and entered
    Code:
    sudo fsck /dev/sda5 and came up with
    e2fsck 1.45.5  (07-Jan-2020)
    /dev/sda5 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
    Pass 1:Checking inodes, blocks and sizes
    Inode 25401772 extent tree (at level 1) could be shorter. Optimize<y>? no
    Inodes that were part of a corrupt orphan linked list found.  Fix<y>?
    My panic comes from the potential loss of several very important documents. Although the odds of keeping them
    are probably in my favor ... I do not want to lose any of them.
    At the moment, I still have the terminal open to the fsck I started, but discontinued when I remembered I hadn't finished the backup. I tried to use the exit command to end today's process, but it didn't work. I didn't want to mess with it, until I get some advice weather I need to just shut the terminal and finish the backup. Since it's mid-way into the process, can it cause another problem.

This is the message I saw after my previous fsck. I'm not certain, but I might have done the fsck on a mounted partition. It shows some potentially worrisome issues. This is the output from the fsck

Code:
    Failed to start shuts down pre-installed sys cleanly
    SystemCTL i status Casper.service for detail
    OK Reached Target Final step/finished powered-off
    OK Finished reached target power off 

[!!!!!!] Failed Execute shutdown binary [40985.213694] blk_update_request] I/O Error
    Plus several similar lines.
    I had done a soft reboot earlier to exit the "BusyBox ... Initramfs" screen.

Code:
    Begin: running/scripts/local-premount ... done
    Begin: Will now check root file system ... fsck from util-linux 2.34 [/usr/sbin/fsck.ext4 (1) --/dev/sda5] fsck,ext4 -a -C0 /dev/sda5 /dev/sda5 contains a file system with errors, check forced
    [ 10.326632] random: crng init done ==== \54.4% /dev/sda5:
    Inode 35401772 extent tree (at level 1) could be shorter. IGNORED. /dev/sda5: Inodeds that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

Code:
    /dev/sda5: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY (I.E., WITHOUT -A OR -P OPTIONS
    fsck exited with status code 4 done.
    FAILURE: file system check of the root filesystem failed 
    the root filesystem on /dev/sda5 requires a manual fsck 

Thanks.

Beans

Hey all,

My attempts to get my system working are progressing well, but I've got a couple of questions I need to finish the job.
    I decided to make this a new thread that I hope can help me understand the system issues and what to do the next time.
    The previous posters helped me get this far and I am grateful for everyone's help.
    Hopefully, I can get this issue fixed and what to do the next time.
    It will help me to better understand how my system works and to make it better.
    What does "FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED" mean in my situation and how do I get it taken care of?

Code:

Code:
    Deleted inode 35409210 has zero dtime.  Fix<y>? yes
    Pass 1E: Optimizing extent trees
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/sda5: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    /dev/sda5: 259707/39043072 files (1.5% non-contiguous), 7676803/156151296 blocks
    Is there a way to find out how the file system was modified and what it means?
    don't know much - it might be good to know more.[/code]
    Sorry about the underline. I tried to get rid of it using the options shown, but that didn't work. [/code]

This is what the fsck showed initially.

Fsck found some issues with my system. It also looks like most of them were fixed.

Thanks

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2464806

My system is an AMD 9850
    650 HDD - with one 650GB HDD partition
    And another
    partition with 535.8 MB

The Disks & Storage test. It shows The HDD partition 15.7 GB is being used (With some contents unreadable)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code:

The background:
    Code:
    I did the first fsck with a mounted partition. I did not realize that the partition was supposed to be unmounted. After I unmounted the partition, I did the recommended fsck, this what it returned this information:

this is a mouse the kept freezing, then releasing,  etc. but  then locked up to the point of having to reboot to make it  work. This  problem led me to attempt a fix using FSCK. But I didn't read  the part  where I was supposed to do this from root w/o mounted file  systems. I  tried that twice and it then came back with "error code 2."
    I tried to run fsck again, but then the system came back with the   BusyBox v1.30.1 Initramfs errors. I read as much as I could on how to   proceed, but didn't see any solution that I thought fit my situation.

Finally, I rebooted with the 20.04 live disk and to "Try Ubuntu" That   brought up 2 partitions - one empty and the other with the file systems  I  had been using.
    I checked on my documents - which seemed OK, but I'm not sure I still had all of them.
    I don't recall exactly what I did then, but there was a banner showing 

Circle X Access with sys/device/software/subsystem/uevent denied
    I hit OK and the banner closed
    In the second partition (supposedly empty) There was a file labeled
     "Ubiquity Desktop"name:~desktop/ubiquity.desktop
    2[read only] /run/network manager/devices
    Code:
    [!!!!!!] Failed Execute shutdown binary [40985.213694] blk_update_request] I/O Error

Earlier today the screen was frozen and I did a soft reboot and got 
    Begin: Will now check root file system ... fsck from util-linux 2.34   [/usr/sbin/fsck.ext4 (1) --/dev/sda5] fsck,ext4 -a -C0 /dev/sda5   /dev/sda5 contains a file system with errors, check forced
    [    10.326632] random: crng init done ==== \54.4% /dev/sda5:
    Inode 35401772 extent tree (at level 1) could be shorter. IGNORED.   /dev/sda5: Inodeds that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list   found.
    /dev/sda5: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY (I.E., WITHOUT -A OR -P OPTIONS
    Code:

$ sudo fsck /dev/sda5
    fsck from util-linux 2.34
    e2fsck 1.45.5 (07-Jan-2020)
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Inode 35401772 extent tree (at level 1) could be shorter.  Optimize<y>? yes
    Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.  Fix<y>? yes

The worrisome item is:
    dev/sda5: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    /dev/sda5: 259707/39043072 files (1.5% non-contiguous), 7676803/156151296 blocks
    Last edited by CharlesA; August 4th, 2021 at 03:40 AM. Reason: normalized font

Beans

Sorry to bother y'all again, but my system is locked up - again. I had the system on all night and this morning I saw a big red circle
    with an exclamation mark. When I opened it, it showed "Sorry, Ubuntu 20.04 has experienced an internal error." I clicked into it and saw:I was AFK for 20 minutes and came back to a new error screen, but the curser was released and working:

At the moment I'm undecided weather to reboot to see what happens, or see if I can find what all these errors are about.
    Any ideas?

"THE APPLICATION Passwords and keys has closed unexpectedly
    send problem to the developers
    X Remember in future
    X Relaunch this application

I opened this and got 40 lines including:These lines will not copy/paste, so I have not copied
    I have not copied all the lines showing.
    If you think it's necessary, I can.

------------------------------------------

ExecutablePath
    /user/bin/seahorse

Package Seahorse 3.36-1

ProblemType
    Crash

CoreDump

CurrentDesktop
    Ubuntu:Gnome

Date
    Wed Aug 4 21:00:51 2021

dDndendencies
    Distro
    PackeageArchitecture
    ProcCmdline
    usr/bin/seahorse-gapplication-service

UnreportableReason
    You have some obsolete package versions installed.Please upgrade the following packages and check if the problem still occurs

And other lines of code

Unfortunately, this group of items will not copy and post, but if you think it's necessary, I can hand write them.

------------------------------------------------------

This is all the messages referring to earlier info from fscks; from the fsck I made with the partition probably mounted. I'm not certain
    And the others that were not mounted

ExecutablePath
    "/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin"
    Then the curser locked up and wouldn't move. I can hear the HD constantly working - the curser will be stuck in one place on the screen, lock up for several minutes, then will jump to another area, but still won't respond to my input.
    This the same problem I started with 2 weeks ago. Everything seemed fine yesterday. I didn't do much except research
    how to figure out what the post was referring to. Here is what shows after an fsck from the 20.04 live disk

Code:
    Three days ago, the curser on screen was again frozen and I did a soft reboot and got:

Code:
    Begin: Will now check root file system ... fsck from util-linux 2.34    [/usr/sbin/fsck.ext4 (1) --/dev/sda5] fsck,ext4 -a -C0 /dev/sda5    /dev/sda5 contains a file system with errors, check forced
    [    10.326632] random: crng init done ==== \54.4% /dev/sda5:
    Inode 35401772 extent tree (at level 1) could be shorter. IGNORED.    /dev/sda5: Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list    found.
    I rebooted again, ran the fsck and this the result:

Code:

$ sudo fsck /dev/sda5
    fsck from util-linux 2.34
    e2fsck 1.45.5 (07-Jan-2020)
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Inode 35401772 extent tree (at level 1) could be shorter.  Optimize<y>? yes
    Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.  Fix<y>? yes

The worrisome item is:
    dev/sda5: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    And that's where I am now
    Last edited by Gnusboy; August 5th, 2021 at 07:17 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123