Thread: audio problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

audio problems

hi.
    i need to use a microphone for online chat. the problem is that the microphone on my old headset (2 3.5 mm plugs, tried in both the front and rear sockets) doesn't work. so i went and bought a new headset (USB plug), but that microphone doesn't work either. when i try to record audio from either microphone, all i get is noise. because the USB headset doesn't work either, i'm beginning to think that something is wrong with my system. maybe a missing driver? BTW, i can use either headset to listen to music and other audio, but the microphones don't work

ubuntu 20:04
    Last edited by hmiersch; July 19th, 2021 at 01:54 PM.
    I TNO, therefore I am.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: audio problems

If it is a hardware problem, a USB audio device is rather inexpensive and most work very well. I have one here and have no probs at all with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 at Amazon for $13.99US.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've never had any issue with any USB microphone that I've used. I have a Plantronics headset, a Logitech webcam+mic and a Samson GoMic. They all are just plug-in-use.

So, the first question is does Linux see any of those sources? Microphone == Source in the pulse-audio world.
    Https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....4#post14040864 has the commands to see.

I also bought a 3-pak of cheap lapel mics for $9. These use 3.5mm jacks. According to everyone on my video calls, these sound better/clearer than the other mics. It is probably the placement.

Using pavucontrol is key to getting the microphones and levels set correctly.
    pacmd and pactl are useful for sharing text data here.

Most of the time, the problem is simply levels or muted.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

For the past six years, I have been using a USB Plantronics Blackwire C310 headset without any issues. It is a good headset.
    What theFu says about pavucontrol is true.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/