Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Drivers for Brother MFC

Beans

Re: Installing Drivers for Brother MFC

I would appreciate help in getting the scanner to work. The scanner is detected.

Beans

The scanner is now working. Thanks to all that gave me the confidence to persevere.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

How about the fax capability? Do you have that working? Unless you don't have a landline.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    How about the fax capability? Do you have that working? Unless you don't have a landline.
    Years ago I used the machine only to send and receive faxes. As of late, I don't have much use for the fax capacity. I had had a compact HP laser printer on my desk with a dedicated scanner. The printer is no longer functioning. This machine is a temporary replacement until I buy another laser printer. Also, I could never get the Epson scanner to work with Ubuntu 20.04. A forum member even gave me instructions on the phone. He also gave up. To use it, I have to go to Windows.

Beans

I'm Back!
    I just noticed PC fax that was automatically installed in windows. I would like to install it in Linux. If I can do so, I will get rid of windows. Since I have the printer and scanner working, I don't want to chance ruining what I have because of a paucity of knowledge. Assistance will be appreciated.
    https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqe...aq00100716_000

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I'm Back!
    I just noticed PC fax that was automatically installed in windows. I would like to install it in Linux. If I can do so, I will get rid of windows. Since I have the printer and scanner working, I don't want to chance ruining what I have because of a paucity of knowledge. Assistance will be appreciated.
    https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqe...aq00100716_000
    If it works, you could always install Windows in a Virtual Machine in your Ubuntu partition. E.g. Virtual Box, then install Windows as a client and install your printer software there just in case, the Linux version stops working for some reason.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuux View Post
    If it works, you could always install Windows in a Virtual Machine in your Ubuntu partition. E.g. Virtual Box, then install Windows as a client and install your printer software there just in case, the Linux version stops working for some reason.
    I did not install the Linux version. I would have a problem with virtual machine. My computer is old and has limited resources. 4 GIG of RAM. I am waiting for the Ryzen 5000G series to hit the retail market. I may then build a new machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I did not install the Linux version. I would have a problem with virtual machine. My computer is old and has limited resources. 4 GIG of RAM. I am waiting for the Ryzen 5000G series to hit the retail market. I may then build a new machine.
    Oh right.... yes, can be a problem.

I am hoping to get a Ryzen system, too...although, I will see what Intel is also offering at the time I can shop around.

I don't think you need to dedicate much RAM to Windows, however, if you only use it for printing but 4GB is pretty low for that. I only have 8gb total. I was thinking of upgrading it to 16gb eventually but my current machine is getting pretty old. We'll see...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12