Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Drivers for Brother MFC

Beans

Installing Drivers for Brother MFC

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could walk me through the steps so that I can use the following with Ubuntu 20.04 64

Brother MFC-7340
    I need help from step 4 onward. Any assistance will be appreciated.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/down...ng=4&type3=625

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Installing Drivers for Brother MFC

Ok, lets see if we can help to get your MFC-7340 installed. It looks like you have completed step 4. Is that correct?
    I assume you downloaded the correct Driver Install Tool for your device. You probably should have your printer powered on and connected.

For step 5, you need to have a terminal open in the directory/folder where you performed the step 4 'gunzip' operation.
    Enter your password when it asks for it. After you enter it, you become root You will need root privileges to complete the next few steps.
    Step5. Get superuser authorization with the "su" command or "sudo su" command.
    Run this from command line...
    Code:
    sudo su
    You should have a hash or crunch (#) for your prompt now which indicates you have root privileges.
    Step6. Run the tool:

Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* Brother machine name
    e.g. bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2 MFC-7340
    Run this from command line...
    Code:
    bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2 MFC-7340
    Just follow the prompts; it will take a few minutes to run.
    Step7. The driver installation will start. Follow the installation screen directions.

When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?",

For USB Users: Choose N(No) <-- This is for you
    For Network Users: Choose Y(Yes) and DeviceURI number.

The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.
    Your MFC-7340 should be installed now.
    If you still have root privileges, you need to terminate root privileges by
    Code:
    exit
    You should probably print a test page just to be sure it works.
    I have successfully completed network installation for a Brother MFC-7360N many times, but never for a one connected with USB cable,
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could walk me through the steps so that I can use the following with Ubuntu 20.04 64

Brother MFC-7340
    I need help from step 4 onward. Any assistance will be appreciated.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/down...ng=4&type3=625
    I am ashamed to say it, but I could not even get to step 4. I must be doing something wrong in the terminal. It kept saying no such file.

Beans

Sorry to say. I am still confused. I was able to do step 5 but not step 4.

daniel@daniel-P5Q-PRO:~$ cd Downloads
    daniel@daniel-P5Q-PRO:~/Downloads$ gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz
    gzip: linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz: No such file or directory
    daniel@daniel-P5Q-PRO:~/Downloads$

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The terminal is telling you that there is no linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz file in the Downloads folder. I note that linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz is the "for example" version given in your linked instructions. More than likely you have a later version, not 2.1.1-1.

Let's see which version you have. Make sure you are still in the Downloads folder in the terminal, and run:

Code:
    ls linux-br*
    And post the output.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

daniel@daniel-P5Q-PRO:~/Downloads$ ls linux-br*
    linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2
    daniel@daniel-P5Q-PRO:~/Downloads$

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Then your gunzip command needs to be:

Code:
    gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2.gz
    I'm assuming you meant linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2.gz and not linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2 as you posted. Was that a typo omission? Your link offers to download a *.gz file.

When you get to step 6, you'll need to modify the command given to the version number you have. It'll most certainly be 2.2.2-2 again, but check with ls or with an open file browser that the installer you have is linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2 first. Also, don't type in MFC-J880DW as the machine name. That's just a "for example" again in the instructions. Your model number is different. When following instructions like those, don't just copy and paste. You need to check details like that and modify as appropriate. "e.g." (exempli gratia) means "for example".
    Last edited by coffeecat; July 19th, 2021 at 03:17 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Then your gunzip command needs to be:

Code:
    gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2.gz
    I'm assuming you meant linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2.gz and not linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2 as you posted. Was that a typo omission? Your link offers to download a *.gz file.

When you get to step 6, you'll need to modify the command given to the version number you have. It'll most certainly be 2.2.2-2 again, but check with ls or with an open file browser that the installer you have is linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2 first. Also, don't type in MFC-J880DW as the machine name. That's just a "for example" again in the instructions. Your model number is different. When following instructions like those, don't just copy and paste. You need to check details like that and modify as appropriate. "e.g." (exempli gratia) means "for example".
    I appreciate your help. This may be too much for me. I am still stuck on step 4. I will take a break from this. Maybe later in the day it will become clearer to me. Thanks again for your kind and informative replies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I appreciate your help. This may be too much for me. I am still stuck on step 4. I will take a break from this. Maybe later in the day it will become clearer to me. Thanks again for your kind and informative replies.
    You're welcome. I've just noticed something else. The zip file that you can download from your link has the filename linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2.gz. When you unzip it, you get a single file in the same directory with the filename linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2. That was the same filename that you posted in post #6 as the message from bash after you ran the "ls linux-br*" command. Since that was all ls listed, I don't think you have already unzipped the *.gz, which is why I assumed you had simply omitted the ".gz" when posting. Worth checking that. You can inspect the contents of the Downloads folder with the file manager if you prefer.

And then step 6 will probably be:

Code:
    bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2 MFC-7340
    Based on the model number you gave in post #1.

Enjoy your break and then see if you can follow the logic behind the various filenames. If you can see what is going on, it'll pay dividends for the future rather than following instructions blindly.

linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2.gz is a gzip archive. linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2 is the actual installer wrapped inside the archive. It is simply a text file that runs as a script. 2.2.2-2 in both filenames is the version number. That's worth understanding as you'll probably come across similar in the future where the numbers in the filename change according to the version number.

Good luck!

Beans

Thanks to all. I now have printer function. I guess there is still life left in this 75 year old brain.
    I will later see about scanning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast