Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could I install Ubuntu on a 8gb SD card and install the apps on an external hard driv

Beans

Re: Could I install Ubuntu on a 8gb SD card and install the apps on an external hard

I don't have an external drive. Well, I could if I wanted to but my hdd isn't SSD so it would be slowly externally and as I'm learning anything "external" on this laptop is SLOW. So now I just want the startup/live install "disc" to be on my SD card to then install Ubuntu on my laptop, with hdd inside

Beans

Re: Could I install Ubuntu on a 8gb SD card and install the apps on an external hard

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Just a note.

You didn't say whether your system and card reader was USB, PATA or SATA... Or if USB, whether it was USB2 or USB3. I know form experience that some internal card readers will not let you boot from, because they don't usually show the cards as "storage" drives. Some USB SD card readers will not boot as a USB storage device. Make sure it comes up as USB Storage.

SD cards are slow to read and write. The fastest SD cards are about 4-5 times slower than USB2.0. USB3.0 is 10 times faster than USB2.0. A good 16GB USB drive is less than the price of the same size reasonably fast (as SD Cards go) SD Card...

So yes, people are recommending getting an USB thumb drive.
    Ah, okay... So my bottleneck is my SD card itself then! I get you now. I thought the USB transfer was slow! Even for 2.0. Must be the card. So "pen/thumb drive " for a live OS. I'm just gonna use the SD card for now to get it installed on my laptop. The CD drive can't finish the install. So on to the next step...

With Ubuntu 16.0.4 live CD can I get the latest Ubuntu onto my SD card? I presume so. I'll be looking into that next...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by juntjoo2 View Post
    Ah, okay... So my bottleneck is my SD card itself then! I get you now. I thought the USB transfer was slow! Even for 2.0. Must be the card. So "pen/thumb drive " for a live OS. I'm just gonna use the SD card for now to get it installed on my laptop. The CD drive can't finish the install. So on to the next step...

With Ubuntu 16.0.4 live CD can I get the latest Ubuntu onto my SD card? I presume so. I'll be looking into that next...
    Yes, if the Ubuntu 16.04 live CD (I suppose it is actually a live DVD) works, you can get the latest Ubuntu onto your SD card. And then install Ubuntu into the internal HDD. I would recommend the lastest LTS release, 20.04.x LTS where x will be 2 or higher (depending on when you download the iso file).

Good luck
    Last edited by sudodus; July 20th, 2021 at 12:05 PM.

Beans

Thanks!

Beans

8Gb is plenty for Ubuntu. You could have /home on a separate storage but you cannot change where packages are installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is there a reason why you are using version 16.04 LTS? Because that old version is end-of-life already and is not getting any security updates...For example. is your system 32bit?

Which then if a 32bit system, yes, 16.04 and do a release upgrade to get to 18.04, which will dead-end it there, but still be supported and get updates for a few more years.

If it is 64bit, and you install/run on 20.04 LTS, then you can put a snap directory onto whatever drive you want, and if you install apps through snap, then snap will install that app to that drive...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

16.0.4 is what currently I have ready to work. As soon as I can I will upgrade. My dinosaur hardware is just slowing me down.

Its 64 bit

Whats snap?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Basically: "Snap" is a new type of package manager with it's own "SnapCraft Store" for applications. One perc, as it compares to Apt and the usual Ubuntu Store, Apt will lock a version of an application to the version of Ubuntu. The SnapCraft Store allows you to get newer versions of applications.

Here's a link to find out more: https://snapcraft.io/store?_ga=2.551...897.1624679787

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You may want check out Xubuntu Core - https://xubuntu.org/news/introducing-xubuntu-core/
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12