Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it matter where I install Ubuntu?

Beans

Does it matter where I install Ubuntu?

http://imgur.com/a/ddzTmAY

So as you can see I have two partitions I made a long time ago I'm guessing for when I set my system up for a dual booting with windows. And I set aside the large one for files. So idk how it got here exactly but:

1) does it matter where the partition is that I install the OS? And...

2) how would I combine or edit / rearrange the two partitions to my desire?

3) I might or might not want to install windows but the option later would be nice. Will I be able to later?

Thanks!

Edit:

Latest situation. How do I combine these partitions?

How to combine partitions https://imgur.com/a/uU8xY60
    Last edited by juntjoo2; July 18th, 2021 at 06:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Does it matter where I install Ubuntu?

1: No, it doesn't matter.
    2: Partitions cannot be merged or split. Partitions can be deleted, new partitions can be created in unallocated space, partition can be shrunk (creating unallocated space) and partitions can be expanded into unallocated space.
    3: You can first install Ubuntu, then Windows, but Windows has a habit of damaging Ubuntu when Windows is installed last. This can usually be fixed, but may take some effort.

Further, Ubuntu can only be installed in a Linux partition (like ext4) and Windows can only be installed in a Windows partition (NTFS). It's recommended not to use unsupported Windows releases (everything before Win8) and Win8 and up really want to be in UEFI mode on a GPT partitioned drive, especially when dual booting with Ubuntu. Ubuntu and Windows must be in the same mode. On an MBR partitioned hard drive (which is not what you should use), you can only have 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and a number of logical partitions, but there can't be any primary partition between two logical partitions.

Beans

I'm guessing my hard drive is MBR partitioned, as I'm having "MBRboot" errors with my Windows 7 stall. But I still have valuable data on the drive. Would I be able to change it from MBR to whatever you recommend? What would that be BTW? Or if I don't do a dual boot is MBR fine for just my Ubuntu?

Beans

I guess you cannot expand a partition into empty space on the other other side of an adjacent partition right? I'm trying to get that empty space to the right of my NTFS partition over to the left side

Beans

SQUASHFS ERROR https://imgur.com/a/GUhwZFp

Just tried to install after setting the partitions and got this squash error? What's this about?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It is not easy to follow what you are trying to do?

Do you have back-ups of your data?
    Do you want to use Windows 10?
    Do you want to use Ubuntu?
    Do you want to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on one disk?

Beans

Well at this point it looks like I want to start fresh and use a SD card in place of my Ubuntu CD as it keeps failing during install. I'm guessing it's the hardware, this external disc drive. I can copy an ISO image to SD card right? If so point me in the right direction would you? I wanted to have the option to have dual boot system if I could but wither way I just need to get this laptop going and I'm trying to get Ubuntu on it for now. Windows is another challenge, windows 7 as I have a copy, just need a new serial number or something windows issue. Anyway, can I put a install file on SD card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I notice that you failed to answer my question.

Do you have back ups of your personal files?
    If you do not have back ups, can we assume that your data is unimportant?
    Then we can proceed?

As a side note, Windows 7 has reached end of life is is now unsupported.

Beans

No, my data is important but I'm not touching that partition. Right now I am downloading the Ubuntu installation and it looks like I can put it on an SD card. And yes, windows 7 they're not helping with, although they did a couple years ago give me an install file/image but I guess not any more

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you do not have backups, your data is not important.
    Users often make mistakes on installing, and many from Windows do not understand difference between a drive & partition.
    And you cannot just copy an ISO to a flash drive, but have to install it, so it is extracted & converted to be bootable.
    Many systems do not directly boot from SD cards. You may be able to put a SD card into an adapter so seen as a flash drive as newer systems will boot flash drives.

Lots of info on USB boot for installing
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/iso2usb &
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast