Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does it matter where I install Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Does it matter where I install Ubuntu?

If you do not have back ups of your important data, then it would be irresponsible to attempt to install another operating system.

The installation will adjust your partitions and, just imagine, unexpected power failure ....................

Please back up first.
    Last edited by tea for one; July 19th, 2021 at 08:59 AM.

Beans

Are you saying if I try to install Ubuntu on a particular partition it will mess with my other 350+gb ntfs partition?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by juntjoo2 View Post
    Are you saying if I try to install Ubuntu on a particular partition it will mess with my other 350+gb ntfs partition?
    No. They are saying that new users often make mistakes and wipe partitions accidentally. The boot areas are shared and those will be touched by every OS booting using UEFI. That's part of the standard and expected.

And in general, it is best to install any Linux into multiple partitions, but we can't know your needs for today, next month, Xmas, and the next 2+ yrs. Heck, I don't know my own needs for those timeframes. In general, I install into 3 partitions and 4 logical volumes. The partitions are
    • /boot
    • /boot/efi
    • a partition to hold all the LVM PV, VG, and multiple LVs for (/, /home, /stuff, swap)

That assumes only 1 storage device. If I have multiple SSDs/HDDs, then storage gets more complex.

You can do whatever you like. But we all think you should backup anything you don't want to lose BEFORE doing anything else. That comes from experience. I've certainly wiped the wrong partition before during an install. I'd bet everyone here has too. Fortunately, I haven't done that in well over 20 yrs, so it isn't a worry for me today. I still make mistakes and do dumb things, however. Almost daily. Backups have saved me a few issues this week, not system-wipe level issues, but I have restored a few files that were deleted by accident.

Beans

The image in your initial post shows that you have a 76GB swap partition. In your case, 4-8GB would be more than enough so that is a lot of wasted space. Also, the swap partition is a logical partitiion. The only primary partition you have is sda1 which is in ext4 (Linux) format. Your only windows partition is sda5 which is also a logical partition. Windows will not boot unless you have its boot files on a primary partition which you do not have. Is that partition (sda5) just a data partition? You could shrink sda1 and create another primary partition there for a boot partition if you are familiar with installing windows 7. Pretty unusual partition set up.

I'd suggest that you back up your personal data and install windows (if you want) then install Ubuntu. I'd also suggest you do more reading on using and installing Ubuntu before you begin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12