Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black screen when starting No Man's Sky after update to Ubuntu 21.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Black screen when starting No Man's Sky after update to Ubuntu 21.04

Brilliant, thank you, I will try the suggested kernel update, see what happens and if necessary continue with the mesa drivers too if necessary.
    Last edited by makem2; July 22nd, 2021 at 03:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    From my history, where I found that yesterday:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...intel/h0c9to2/ (Select the View Parent Comments)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...intel/h0c9to2/ (Continued)

As per...Your Vulnan driver is 1.2+ so that is okay, but
    Code:
    makem@makem-pc:~$ uname -r
    5.11.0-22-generic
    Is not newer than Kernel 5.12... So the kernel module is not?

What they went on to discuss was to install a newer kernel from Ubuntu Mainline Kernels...

Beyond their instructions, the easiest way to do that is:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cappelikan/ppa
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mainline
    Then start up that GUI application by going to Activities > Typing Mainline > Selecting "Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Installer"... Select the Kernel you want to try... I was an Ubuntu Dev Cycle tester... Not all those kernel versions work well. Stay away from one that are mark with "rc" unless you are brave and read the kernel.org release notes first.. Those were "release candidates"... So still in test.

Code:
    mafoelffen@ovirt-vm-01:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
    Release:    20.04
    Codename:    focal

mafoelffen@ovirt-vm-01:~$ uname -r
    5.13.4-051304-generic
    That is the above code, tested on a VM, to show you 20.04.2 running on a Kernel Version 5.13.4.

After that... There are newer mesa drivers in these two PPA's:
    https://launchpad.net/~kisak/+archive/ubuntu/turtle (Stable)
    https://launchpad.net/~kisak/+archive/ubuntu/kisak-mesa (Test)
    Started with you suggestion of installing mainline only to find I already have the most up-to-date version! I remembered before upgrading to 21.04 that I did attempt to change kernels but I was a bit out of my depth at the time. I have added the output here for completeness.

Code:
    makem@makem-pc:~$ sudo apt install mainline
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    mainline is already the newest version (1.0.14-0~202107051645~ubuntu21.04.1).
    0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 23 not to upgrade.
    makem@makem-pc:~$
    Edit: After installing kernel 5.13.4 and rebooting I received an error on the lines of. "kernel not signed or wrong signature, press any key to continue", pressing any key took me to the ubuntu/windows choices and choosing ubuntu gave the error again. A roundabout. So I took the option to choose a different kernel via Advanced Options, the previous one.

I am not sure if I should purge or remove 5.13.4 and try 5.13.3 and so on or if I can just install any kernel leaving the others in place (as is 5.11.0.22.23) and just choose the one to try.

I have just tried to choose 5.13.4 to determine the exact error message but am told the kernel needs to be loaded first. Getting out of my depth again

Edit 2: The exact error message is, "Invalid signature" for the kernel 5.13.4
    Last edited by makem2; July 22nd, 2021 at 06:51 PM. Reason: kernel error

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by makem2 View Post
    Edit: After installing kernel 5.13.4 and rebooting I received an error on the lines of. "kernel not signed or wrong signature, press any key to continue", pressing any key took me to the ubuntu/windows choices and choosing ubuntu gave the error again.
    Have you got Secure Boot enabled? That means that you'll only be able to use software that's signed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, as CatKiller mentioned, turn off SecureBoot in BIOS.

Yes, use the Mainline App to Remove the Kernels that won't work before trying another. Using Remove from that app, will purge it.

Note that the Grub Menu, will default to the newest Kernel as it's default. And you are trying the newest, working towards older kernels (that's how the list shows up in that app...) So if you leave a newer kernel, it will default to that most recent kernel, unless you select, "other" in the grub menu, and select it manually... But if you have SecureBoot, you probably have UEFI and don't see a Grub Boot Menu, do you. (Unless you press the <Escape> key repeatedly while it is booting...) So it would just keep going to that newer kernel(?) without giving you the chance to use the older, If you don't purge the newer that didn't work...

I would try on of the 12.x Kernels, then try one of the newer mesa drivers from stable. If those don't work, then go to the NMS website, Or Steam and turn in support ticket.

I don't have a problem on Linux or Windows Steam... But I have NVidia Graphics. I think the problem you are going to run into, is the that both Steam and NMS'es publisher say the minimum requirements do not list Intel Graphics as being supported for NMS. (Only AMD and NVidia).
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 22nd, 2021 at 05:21 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Have you got Secure Boot enabled? That means that you'll only be able to use software that's signed.
    Yes Secure Boot was on and I found how to turn it off in the new unfamiliar BIOS. As a result:

Code:
    makem@makem-pc:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 21.04
    Release:    21.04
    Codename:    hirsute
    makem@makem-pc:~$ uname -r
    5.13.4-051304-generic
    makem@makem-pc:~$
    So I am now running the latest kernel and will try starting up the game before looking into the mesa drivers.

Edit: The black screen still persists so I will look into the mesa drivers.
    Btw, should I remove the older kernel or leave it there to fall back on?
    Last edited by makem2; July 22nd, 2021 at 06:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, as CatKiller mentioned, turn off SecureBoot in BIOS.

Yes, use the Mainline App to Remove the Kernels that won't work before trying another. Using Remove from that app, will purge it.

I would try on of the 12.x Kernels, then try one of the newer mesa drivers from stable. If those don't work, then go to the NMS website, Or Steam and turn in support ticket.

I don't have a problem on Linux or Windows Steam... But I have NVidia Graphics. I think the problem you are going to run into, is the that both Steam and NMS'es publisher say the minimum requirements do not list Intel Graphics as being supported for NMS. (Only AMD and NVidia).
    I am now able to use the latest kernel having turned off Secure Boot and will try mesa drivers now.

Yes, I intend to use a dedicated AMD or Nvidea when possible, not sure which at the moment.

Edit: Btw I do see a grub menu when using Secure Boot (You mentioned I may not see grub earlier)
    Last edited by makem2; July 22nd, 2021 at 06:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Leave the original kernel you started from before this, with those updates! Yes, you should keep that failsafe/fallback. Eventually you update to something newer again... But in the meanwhile, you are wading in the currents. LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Leave the original kernel you started from before this, with those updates! Yes, you should keep that failsafe/fallback. Eventually you update to something newer again... But in the meanwhile, you are wading in the currents. LOL
    Thank you.

I have installed the mesa ppa but now wonder (forgive the ignorance), if it actually installs the newer mesa drivers or whether I have to do something. From what I read there I think it does instal the drivers/driver. I don't suppose it will do any harm if I start NMS again whether or not they are installed lol.

Edit: Black screen again I'm afraid. I am now beginning to wonder if I should give up on this as the chances of this integrated gpu being capable of dealing with this game at full speed is asking to much. Also, if I persist and try lower kernels, what damage am I risking by the hard boots I am having to do to recover from the black screen?
    Last edited by makem2; July 22nd, 2021 at 07:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

From Steam after updating mesa driver:

Video Card:
    Driver: Intel Mesa Intel(R) Graphics (RKL GT1)
    Driver Version: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.3.0-devel (git-ed57666 2021-07-17 focal-oibaf-ppa)
    OpenGL Version: 4.6
    Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    VendorID: 0x8086
    DeviceID: 0x4c8a
    Revision Not Detected
    Number of Monitors: 1
    Number of Logical Video Cards: 1

No change in the mesa driver

This page suggests how to get the latest mesa driver:

https://itsfoss.com/install-mesa-ubuntu/

I ask help before using another ppa.
    Last edited by makem2; July 22nd, 2021 at 07:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Isn't the PPA in that tutorial the same PPA I linked for you for Mesa? lol

you are on 21.3.0... 21.1.5~kisak1~g is the newest there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast