Thread: Bad Memory?

Beans

Bad Memory?

I am getting boot failure with this screen. Would this be memory going bad? Is there any way to repair or do I need new RAM? Thanks.
    https://imgur.com/a/lvm5gjV

I am using Elementery OS. I appear to only have option to boot in UEFI mode so memtest86 does not appear as boot option. I am able to boot into Elementary OS using USB stick.
    Last edited by derek-w-barker; July 18th, 2021 at 07:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Bad Memory?

There is no image at your link. That being said, I would really doubt that you RAM is bad especially since you can boot from a USB. If the RAM were bad, you wouldn't boot from anything. I would check connections between your hard drive and mother board. Short of that, you need to start looking at you hard drive first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Ubuntu/Debian Based sub-forum.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Please try this link. https://imgur.com/a/lvm5gjV

I reinstalled the OS using the USB stick and this seems to have resolved the issue for now. Any info on the error would be appreciated. My son said he "pressed the shut down button" prior to getting the boot error. Could he have corrupted the SSD somehow? Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

That depends on what he meant by "pressed the shut down button".

If it was pressed and held until the machine switched off that may easily have corrupted the file system, causing that error message. You, and he, should always shut down the computer properly from the shutdown icon in the panel or from the Shutdown item in the menu, depending on which DE Elementary uses.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would definitely make a backup of all your important stuff on the HD. SSDs rarely give warning that they are failing: they just die. While I totally agree with what ajgreeny said, I can also say that I have never had any file corruption or any other problem with using the power button to shut down when necessary.