Thread: Want to buy: Focus*rite Scar*lett Solo 3rd Gen, will it work with ubuntu ?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Want to buy: Focus*rite Scar*lett Solo 3rd Gen, will it work with ubuntu ?

Hey guys,

i just need a new a usb audio interface and want to buy a Focus*rite Scar*lett Solo 3rd Gen. Does anyone have some experience, if it works or not with ubuntu ?

If not: may you have a suggestion for an UAIF, which will work perfectly fine under ubuntu 21.04 ?

thanks in advance, ysop

This is what Focusrite says on their hp:

"This applies to All Focusrite Products

None of our products are supported for use on Linux.

Our USB products (Scarletts and Clarett USB) are Class Compliant USB Devices and may work in a Linux-based setup that supports this class of device, but we do not offer support for doing this and cannot verify the performance you may experience.

In addition, you will need a Windows or Mac computer in order to install the Control Software for your interface.

For a list of Mac and PC Operating Systems supported for your device, please check out our OS Compatibility page here."
    Last edited by ysop; July 16th, 2021 at 03:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Want to buy: Focus*rite Scar*lett Solo 3rd Gen, will it work with ubuntu ?

I've got a 2nd gen 2i2 and it's been fine.

Beans

I am also looking into the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3 Gen and google searches do show there may be a difference in support between the 2 Gen and the 3 Gen products. The 2 Gen 2i2 has folks saying it works well but there are some who say the 3 Gen Solo is harder to get working. There are also conflicting reports.

Since my Roland Quad-Capture is not recognised as a Recording device I have been looking at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo and the PreSonus Studio 24C... which also suffers from contradictory messages on linux support.
    Last edited by Daniel_Coffey; July 28th, 2021 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

ysop - I am happy to report that my Focusrite Scarlet Solo 3rd Gen arrived today and worked out of the box on Linux Mint 20.2. It was recognised as both an output and input device without needing any drivers or fiddling. Since Mint and Ubuntu are so similar I would say that you should be confident buying your own Solo. Feel free to PM me if you have any basic questions about the device (I am not an audio professional).