Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: grub-pc upgrade error w/RAID

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: grub-pc upgrade error w/RAID

Somehow mt posts got messed up... Wait one...

I edited the above... going on from there...

The edit, I checked with your original post of what you had for your mdadm.conf file, that would convert it to the original form, with the /dev/md1 line out...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 19th, 2021 at 08:41 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans

Updating initramfs, I've broken grub. It won't boot except to the grub menu.

Beans

I've now purged and reinstalled grub and that eliminated the grub-pc error. It seems to have been something with the install.

I'm going to make this solved.

Thanks for those who helped.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Since most of my Linux computers are servers of one kind or another migrating configurations is not as easy as desktops where pretty much everything is in the /home directory that can be easily isolated.
    Here is a potential way of getting around the problem of needing to do an upgrade-from-fresh-install but needing to re-use the same hardware. It is not fun "trying" an upgrade or "trying" a fresh install when the original is replaced and the only recourse is to restore if things go sideways...especially when a restore can take a long time.

Use a virtual machine on a PC or another unused server to install the new version (e.g. server 20.04) and then install the software (e.g. MariaDB, Apache, etc) and configure it to match the original server. During this time, you can also document how to get a fresh server to the state that it matches the current old version. If you have the space, you can also perform a data migration to see if it all works correctly. In some cases, you might even want to point the production IP addresses to the temporary VM as the live server while you perform a re-install on the hardware and then migrate the configuration / data to the newly installed hardware system and move the IP addresses back to make it the production server again. Downtime can be reduced to just a few minutes and very little risk of "oh no! It did not work, let's restore"

LHammonds
    Last edited by LHammonds; July 21st, 2021 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typos

Beans

Thanks I'll consider that for my next adventure.

I have a very challenging upgrade ahead of me. For reasons that I can't remember I installed my oldest server in 32bit mode, even though it was 64 bit capable and Ubuntu had AMD 64 bit isos (6.06 LTS) this server has been upgraded from one LTS version to the next and is currently 18.04 LTS. All of the hardware has been changed over time most recently 2 years ago. But I need to convert this to 64 bit and upgrade the Samba PDC to an AD DC. I've know I need to do this for years but I'm chickin.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, you need to plan for a migration to it being 64bit on Server 20.04 LTS... The 32bit libraries dead-end at 18.04 for LTS versions.

LHammands has suggested a very good strategy for that...

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345