Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: font and mouse sizes on large displays - 10ft experience

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: font and mouse sizes on large displays - 10ft experience

Cursor size doesn't exist in Kubuntu
    Maybe it's time to consider other *buntu flavors.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    Maybe it's time to consider other *buntu flavors.
    I've tried all the *ubuntu's and Fedora, Arch, and Manjaro. All have major issues with the way I use a PC connected to UHD 4K TV.

I'm down to KDE Plasma and Cinnamon. So Kubuntu and Linux Mint are what I'm working with. I like that they are both using Ubuntu as the core.

Xubuntu maybe worth a test again. I haven't tried that since 14.04.

Beans

I have a solution that seems to be stable at the moment. I downloaded the latest Ubuntu 20.04.2 Desktop ISO and installed that. Even though the kernel is 5.8, it seems to have the drivers for the 11th gen GFX and lan chip.

As was stated above Ubuntu allowed the setting of the mouse size that worked everywhere including the blank desktop.

I was able to get the Display set to UHD 4K with 200% scale and that works for me at 10'.

However,I still have to solve the login screen for GDM being too small. I need it to have the same scaling as my display.This was a feature that Kubuntu had that I liked.

Any ideas?

Beans

I found something that might be helpful to others. The solution for me appears to be Ubuntu 21.04, but I could not install it until today. Problem was my UHD TV has a setting for HDR and HDMI 2.0 that doesn't work well with the Linux install process.

So to get it installed I turn off that TV setting, do the complete install, do the updates, and then turn that feature back on. Without the HDMI 2.0 feature I can't play 4K videos. Ubuntu 21.04 has the kernel, 5.11.0-22-generic so all my hardware now has up to date drivers.

And I can now have my BIG mouse cursor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12