Thread: how to convert local machine to virtual machine (for error analysis)

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

how to convert local machine to virtual machine (for error analysis)

Hey,

I have problems with my system related to one or more problematic packages of the graphic performance (Nouveau, X, drm). I believe this began after updates of these packages and I'm trying to find the culprit by replicating the situation. Rather than experimenting with snapshots, I was thinking about creating a virtual machine from my local machine (not the hdd) and monitor package updates from there. I've read that VMware has a tool for that purpose. I've never used VMware before but I've extensively used Virtualbox. My root and home-partition have the ext4-filesystem and the home-partition is too large to be duplicated.

1.: Can I safely use my local home-partition as a partition in the virtual machine (instead of using a duplicate)? Or can I simply ignore the partition as it's not subject to the experiments anyway?
    2.: What is -generally speaking- the best approach for doing this? Make copies of all (?) partitions, convert them to images and then to vdi's?
    3.: Is there anything specific to this purpose (making the copies, creating the vm) that one has to keep in mind?

cheers
    Last edited by ATSC; July 14th, 2021 at 03:30 PM. Reason: expression corrected
    “Good is something you do, not something you talk about. Some medals are pinned to your soul, not to your jacket.” Gino Bartali