Thread: Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix failing to boot with luks encrypted drive on Yoga 9i

getut is offline Oops! My Coffee Cup is empty.
    Beans

Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix failing to boot with luks encrypted drive on Yoga 9i

I am having a bear of a time getting Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix 21.04 running on a Lenovo Yoga 9i. I cannot get it to boot fully when I use full disk encryption. I have gotten it to install and run without encryption in legacy mode. I would prefer UEFI over legacy, but I absolutely must have encryption as this is a business laptop. I'm a long time linux user, but this is the worst time I've ever had getting linux on one.

Here are some notes on what I've tried and the settings involved:

UEFI on, Secure Boot on, Intel SGX on = won't even boot USB installer (hangs with black screen just after boot selection for try ubuntu or safe mode, even with all the kernel options I have found)
    UEFI on, Secure Boot off, Intel SGX on = won't even boot USB installer (hangs with black screen just after boot selection for try ubuntu or safe mode, even with all the kernel options I have found)
    UEFI on, Secure Boot off, Intel SGX off, no drive encryption = boots USB media and installs, final installation boots and runs fine although useless for me without encryption
    UEFI on, Secure Boot off, Intel SGX off, full disk encryption = boots USB media and installs, final installation prompts for password then pauses a long time and drops to busybox prompt with no errors displayed

Legacy mode on, Boot Legacy first, no drive encryption = boots USB media and installs, final installation boots and runs fine although useless for me without encryption
    Legacy mode on, Boot Legacy first, no drive encryption = boots USB media and installs, final installation prompts for password then pauses a long time and drops to busybox prompt with an error about Volume Group "luks" not found.

The closest article I have found to try to manually fix the encrypted disk error is this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/5677...t-doesnt-exist

The post by lumbric about halfway down seemed to be the most relevant but the cryptab created by the install lists the drive by UUID in the format luks-<UUID> UUID=<UUID>. I can run the command below and it goes through with no errors but the vgscans don't seem to be working properly.

sudo crypsetup luksOpen /dev/nvme0n1p2 luks-<UUID>

All of the mounts work, but the DNS commands don't seem to get DNS working in chroot. In hopes that I actually was not missing the packages I went ahead and tried the update-initramfs command and it worked and it got me further. But it now drops me to a busybox prompt with the error Volume Group "luks" not found.

On the outside possibility that cryptab was not parsing the luks-<UUID> correctly, I just shortened it to luksmain with no dash and then went through the whole process a 2nd time also using luks main in the /dev/mapper command. On the next boot attempt, I got exactly the same error Volume Group "luks" not found.

I'm stuck. I can't get this thing to boot with full disk encryption on it and need some help... I have been installing and trying this thing with every option under the sun for 10+ hours today.
    Last edited by QIII; July 14th, 2021 at 04:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix failing to boot with luks encrypted drive on Yoga 9i

Moved to Ubuntu/Debian Based.
    Last edited by QIII; July 14th, 2021 at 04:54 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors