Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kernel 5.14 RC (Release Candidate) series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kernel 5.14 RC (Release Candidate) series

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    For as yet unknown reasons (but the kernel version has been eliminated) my system is starting with HWP enabled regardless, since July 6th, which does coincide with a BIOS update, but the system at first lists HWP as disabled:

Code:
    Aug  4 16:24:44 s19 kernel: [    0.000000] intel_pstate: HWP disabled... Doug...3
    and then later on it is enabled:

Code:
    Aug  4 16:24:44 s19 kernel: [    0.374427] intel_pstate: HWP enabled... Doug...1
    Note: I put the flags there, just to be sure where the messages came from.

Note: for also unknown reasons, I am unable to go back to the previous BIOS version as a test. Seems to have been a one way trip, which is counter to the most basic of system rules.

EDIT: I added another flag and edited above. O.K. so flag 3 doesn't prove anything, because it is just saying what the command line is telling it. So this looks like a BIOS issue.
    I added yet another patch to the intel_pstate driver, checking the state of the HWP enable bit in the MSR extremely early in the boot cycle:
    Code:
    Aug  6 08:03:47 s19 kernel: [    0.000000] intel_pstate: HWP disabled... Doug...3
    Aug  6 08:03:47 s19 kernel: [    0.000000] intel_pstate: ... but HWP already enabled in processor ...
    This is almost certainly a BIOS issue, and I have an escalation in progress with ASUS.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Distro

Kernel version 5.14-rc5 is available from both kernel.org and the Ubuntu mainline PPA.

Likely nobody cares, but:
    Kernel 5.14-rc1 included some changes to the teo (Timer Events Orientated) idle governor, but also introduced a regression if idle state 0 was disabled. Fixed in -rc5.
    I think most use the default menu idle governor and don't typically disable idle states.

Code:
    doug@s19:~$ uname -a
    Linux s19 5.14.0-rc5-stock #928 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 8 17:01:48 PDT 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Not sure what my issue is but when trying to install from mainline I'm
    getting this messege for rc5 headers or that matter any of the 5.14:

HTML Code:
    [B][B]dpkg: error: unable to read filedescriptor flags for
     <package status and progress file descriptor>: Bad file descriptor[/B]
    [/B]

I usually install kernels the 'easy' way by using the .deb
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DougieFresh4U View Post
    Not sure what my issue is but when trying to install from mainline I'm
    getting this messege for rc5 headers or that matter any of the 5.14:

HTML Code:
    [B][B]dpkg: error: unable to read filedescriptor flags for
     <package status and progress file descriptor>: Bad file descriptor[/B][/B]
    Got the same error message when trying to install OpenHantek deb file from GitHub.

Edit:
    I built OpenHantek6022 from source, gdebi still barfed the same way. Then I tried install it using dpkg --install the .deb file. No problem.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...i/+bug/1756238
    Last edited by Smask; August 16th, 2021 at 09:47 AM. Reason: More info

Beans

Linus pushed 5.14 RC-7 out of the nest on Sunday, he says it's unlikely to need an RC-8.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...inux-5.14-rc7#

It's already appeared on the PPA - https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-pp...ine/v5.14-rc7/
    Ryzen 7 2700X / Corsair H115i / Asus B350M TUF Gaming / 32GB 3200MHz C14 Team Group Dark Pro/
    Asus Strix 1080 Advanced / 500GB Samsung 870 Evo / 1TB 2.5" SSD / BeQuiet! 1kW /
    Thermaltake Core V21 / Acer Predator X34A / Win10 / Kubuntu 21.04

Beans
    Distro

Kernel 5.14 has been released. As IanW mentioned last week might be the case, indeed there was no -RC8 this cycle.
    Code:
    doug@s19:~$ uname -a
    Linux s19 5.14.0-stock #931 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 30 07:45:51 PDT 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    I added yet another patch to the intel_pstate driver, checking the state of the HWP enable bit in the MSR extremely early in the boot cycle:
    Code:
    Aug  6 08:03:47 s19 kernel: [    0.000000] intel_pstate: HWP disabled... Doug...3
    Aug  6 08:03:47 s19 kernel: [    0.000000] intel_pstate: ... but HWP already enabled in processor ...
    This is almost certainly a BIOS issue, and I have an escalation in progress with ASUS.
    Update: While ASUS has been responsive about the BIOS issue, we seems to have severe communication issues and have yet to agree that an issue even exists. They claim BIOS version 1003 and 2103 behave the same, but I do not think they are doing the test correctly, simple as it is. My older ASUS Z390-P motherboard, with an older BIOS doesn't have the issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12