Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screen has black squares intermittently - "BadWindow" messages

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Screen has black squares intermittently - "BadWindow" messages

Is this one of those with 2 video cards in it? I believe that it might be. Is it possible to disable either one of them in the BIOS? Has the BIOS been updated?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Is this one of those with 2 video cards in it? I believe that it might be. Is it possible to disable either one of them in the BIOS? Has the BIOS been updated?
    From https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/a...indd%3AVideo_1 there is only one video card. The BIOS is updated. Thanks for your help though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What happens if you remove the nvidia drivers and just use the nouveau driver only?
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I may be wrong, but when I look at the specs from the link that the OP provided, I seem to think that there are 2 cards here: the on-board one and then the nVidia one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    What happens if you remove the nvidia drivers and just use the nouveau driver only?
    Good idea. I'll have to backup everything first though. Nothing worse than no monitor when trying to troubleshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    I may be wrong, but when I look at the specs from the link that the OP provided, I seem to think that there are 2 cards here: the on-board one and then the nVidia one.
    Dell have advised that the nVidia GPU is a chip , and the integrated GPU is part of the CPU. There are still thousands of these messages in .xsession-errors

qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 30742, resource id: 46247738, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
    Also, noticed this in the boot log

kernel: nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
    kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
    The following from
    Code:
    inxi -Fzx
    Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
    Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 840M] vendor: Dell driver: nvidia v: 470.57.02 bus ID: 08:00.0
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa
    resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce 840M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.57.02 direct render: Yes
    Last edited by oygle; September 5th, 2021 at 03:48 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have made no changes to the drivers. On the 7th Sept I changed the Firefox settings as per How To Fix Firefox Black Screen Issue , and there have been no problems since. So I will have to assume that fixed it, and will mark this as solved.

(The "BadWindow" messages still appear in .xsession-errors , however I think that is a QT bug)
    Last edited by oygle; September 24th, 2021 at 02:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just an update - I have not had the black square issues since following the advice in regards to a Firefox configuration ( https://techcult.com/how-to-fix-fire...-screen-issue/ ). Currently have 35 tabs open and no black squares at all. So it is fixed/resolved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12