Thread: is there any workaround for Adobe Flash missing?

Beans

is there any workaround for Adobe Flash missing?

I do not understand why adobe decided to deactivate flash on systems with no regards to what the end user wants, but...

I have a DVR that REQUIRES flash to be able to view the video stream. Is there any workaround for either firefox or brave browser that I can use without having to go out and purchase a new system?

Beans

Re: is there any workaround for Adobe Flash missing?

is there any workaround for Adobe Flash missing?
    Maybe - for some uses. You can play flash .swf files with Adobe Flash Player packaged as a Flatpak. It's a stand-alone application that does not require your browser to work. I use it to play some flash games I had acquired in the past.
    Code:
    dmn@Tyana-vm:~$ flatpak search adobe
    Name                        Description                                           Application ID                            Version            Branch         Remotes
    Adobe Flash Player          Player for content created using Adobe Flash          com.adobe.Flash-Player-Projector          32.0.0.465         stable         flathub

Beans

Hmm, go to a junk shop and get a better 2nd hand DVR?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Maybe - for some uses. You can play flash .swf files with Adobe Flash Player packaged as a Flatpak. It's a stand-alone application that does not require your browser to work. I use it to play some flash games I had acquired in the past.
    Code:
    dmn@Tyana-vm:~$ flatpak search adobe
    Name                        Description                                           Application ID                            Version            Branch         Remotes
    Adobe Flash Player          Player for content created using Adobe Flash          com.adobe.Flash-Player-Projector          32.0.0.465         stable         flathub
    Will that work with streaming video through the browser? That's how the interface to this DVR is set up. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Hmm, go to a junk shop and get a better 2nd hand DVR?
    lol... out here in my neck of the woods, they wouldn't know a DVR from DVD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
    Will that work with streaming video through the browser?
    No. The end of Flash was announced years ago, the specific date for the death of Flash was announced at least four years ago, and it was specifically killed on 31 December 2020, by which point every browser had purged all support for it. It is dead, and its death was a long time coming.

There are some sandboxed solutions for standalone Flash applications, but not for in a browser. It's just too insecure.

Beans

old Windows firefox and old flash running in wine and block all internet access? I remember back in the bad old days there was a Netflix desktop app for Linux which was basically a version of Windows FF running in wine because of flash.

Or maybe VM?
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 11th, 2021 at 09:12 PM.