Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to install 32-bit Canon printer driver in Xubuntu 20.04, but fails

Beans

Trying to install 32-bit Canon printer driver in Xubuntu 20.04, but fails

My printer is a Canon PIXMA iP2770. The official driver is 32-bit only and while there is a driver in CUPS called Canon iP2700 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.3.3, it's lacking in features such as draft mode.

I created this tutorial for myself for installing the printer driver in 18.04, however, this tutorial no longer works in 20.04. These are my failed attempts to install the dependencies:

Enable 32-bit support:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    sudo apt-get update
    Attempted to install libtiff4:

Code:
    sudo gdebi libtiff4_3.9.7-2ubuntu1_i386.deb
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree        
    Reading state information... Done
    This package is uninstallable
    Dependency is not satisfiable: multiarch-support
    According to the error message, libtiff4 needs multiarch-support, so I downloaded two versions, the 64-bit and 32-bit versions:

Tried to install multiarch-support (64-bit):

Code:
    sudo gdebi multiarch-support_2.27-3ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb
    Building dependency tree        

Transitional package to ensure multiarch compatibility
     This is a transitional package used to ensure multiarch support is present
     in ld.so before unpacking libraries to the multiarch directories.  It can
     be removed once nothing on the system depends on it.
    Do you want to install the software package? [y/N]:y
    /usr/bin/gdebi:113: FutureWarning: Possible nested set at position 1
      c = findall("[[(](\S+)/\S+[])]", msg)[0].lower()
    Selecting previously unselected package multiarch-support.
    (Reading database ... 229736 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack multiarch-support_2.27-3ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking multiarch-support (2.27-3ubuntu1.2) ...
    Setting up multiarch-support (2.27-3ubuntu1.2) ...
    Trying to install libtiff4 again wielded the same results: Dependency is not satisfiable: multiarch-support

So I tried to install multiarch-support (32-bit):

Tried to install libtiff4 again, but same result: Dependency is not satisfiable: multiarch-support

I also tried to install libpng12:

Last edited by ardouronerous; July 11th, 2021 at 11:50 AM.

Beans

Re: Trying to install 32-bit Canon printer driver in Xubuntu 20.04, but fails

I think the multi-arch thing is for installing packages and distributing them https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation

But what if you already have the i386 libs in your binary's LD_LIBRARY_PATH? Since you don't need to compile (cross compiling is tricky) can we do something like you did for audacity in your other thread to bypass the whole installation process and get it to work?

I suppose for driver instead of using a script to start like audacity you should export PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to your .bashrc or .profile like so

Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/path/to/your/driver's/lib/dir

export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/your/driver's/bin
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 11th, 2021 at 07:58 PM.

Beans

You mean, download all the i386 dependencies needed to run the printer driver and package them like I did with Audacity? I can try that.

Last year, I gave up on trying to install the printer driver and went to VM instead, so I removed 32-bit from my machine, but I'm running into a bit of a problem trying to re-enable 32-bit support though:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Hit:1 http://ph.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease                      
    Get:2 http://ph.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates InRelease [114 kB]     
    Hit:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/openmw/openmw/ubuntu focal InRelease
    Get:4 http://ph.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports InRelease [101 kB]
    Get:5 http://ph.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security InRelease [114 kB]
    Fetched 328 kB in 3s (100 kB/s)    
    I don't see i386 in sudo apt-get update's output, did Ubuntu remove all 32-bit repos?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ardouronerous View Post
    You mean, download all the i386 dependencies needed to run the printer driver and package them like I did with Audacity? I can try that.
    Yes. Except that you want the driver to be activated automatically when the device is plugged in so you don't want to start it with a script like audacity, so you have to export the environmental variables in your .profile or .bashrc.

Last year, I gave up on trying to install the printer driver and went to VM instead, so I removed 32-bit from my machine, but I'm running into a bit of a problem trying to re-enable 32-bit support though:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Hit:1 http://ph.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease                      
    Get:2 http://ph.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates InRelease [114 kB]     
    Hit:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/openmw/openmw/ubuntu focal InRelease
    Get:4 http://ph.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports InRelease [101 kB]
    Get:5 http://ph.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security InRelease [114 kB]
    Fetched 328 kB in 3s (100 kB/s)    
    I don't see i386 in sudo apt-get update's output, did Ubuntu remove all 32-bit repos?
    I don't think it shows the i386 packages separately, also some i386 libs might have been removed from the repo even though the 86x64 version is still available. You can check easily if you have installed synaptic, just open it and check architecture in the left hand panel and it will show you all i386 packages.

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Yes. Except that you want the driver to be activated automatically when the device is plugged in so you don't want to start it with a script like audacity, so you have to export the environmental variables in your .profile or .bashrc.

I don't think it shows the i386 packages separately, also some i386 libs might have been removed from the repo even though the 86x64 version is still available. You can check easily if you have installed synaptic, just open it and check architecture in the left hand panel and it will show you all i386 packages.
    Okay, I saw i386 packages in Synaptic, so the 32-bit repo is downloaded into my system.

How do I download all the dependencies I need for my printer driver though. I managed to do this with Audacity with this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --download-only audacity
    Then I copied all the dependencies from /var/cache/apt/archives directory. How can I do this with deb files?

Beans

OK I downloaded it, the deb.tar.gz file contains two .deb files. If you extract them there are two sub-directories data and control, the control files tell you what the dependencies are, e.g
    Code:
    Package: cnijfilter-common
    Version: 3.30-1
    Section: graphics
    Priority: optional
    Architecture: i386
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.1) | libcups2, libpopt0 (>= 1.7)
    Installed-Size: 304
    Maintainer: Canon Inc. <sup-debian@list.canon.co.jp>
    Description: IJ Printer Driver for Linux.
     This IJ Printer Driver provides printing functions for Canon Inkjet
     printers operating under the CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) environment.
    There is another one for the other .deb

Now the structures of these files look complicated, even after assembling the libs you may not be able to get it to work. Not sure if you can symlink them if you are able assemble all the pieces. This looks a lot more complex than audacity. Not sure whether you need anything in "resources".
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 12th, 2021 at 03:34 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Do you have a link to where I can download the deb for the driver?
    https://www.canon.com.au/support/sim...D6231&ctype=dr

I also did this:

Code:
    dpkg-deb -I /home/~/canon/cnijfilter-common_3.30-1_i386.deb
     new Debian package, version 2.0.
     size 104130 bytes: control archive=1139 bytes.
         442 bytes,    11 lines      control              
        1020 bytes,    14 lines      md5sums              
          61 bytes,     5 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
         282 bytes,    15 lines   *  postrm               #!/bin/sh
     Package: cnijfilter-common
     Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.1) | libcups2, libpopt0 (>= 1.7)
     Installed-Size: 304

dpkg-deb -I /home/~/canon/cnijfilter-ip2700series_3.30-1_i386.deb
     new Debian package, version 2.0.
     size 1661288 bytes: control archive=6311 bytes.
         816 bytes,    12 lines      control              
       15711 bytes,   194 lines      md5sums              
         423 bytes,    19 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
         778 bytes,    28 lines   *  postrm               #!/bin/sh
     Package: cnijfilter-ip2700series
     Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.9.0), libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), libcairo2 (>= 1.0.2-2), libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.1) | libcups2, libfontconfig1 (>= 2.3.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.10.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.12.3), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.8rel), libpopt0 (>= 1.7), libtiff4, libx11-6, libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxext6, libxfixes3, libxi6, libxinerama1, libxml2 (>= 2.6.24), libxrandr2, libxrender1, cnijfilter-common (>= 3.30)
     Installed-Size: 7496
     Source: cnijfilter-common

Beans

Sorry, please see my edit.

Beans

If you look through install.sh, you may be able to figure out which piece goes where if you have resemble all the libs and make the symlinks to the system accordingly. This is going to be tedious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast