Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Error when trying to start VM in Virtualbox...

Beans

Re: Error when trying to start VM in Virtualbox...

Thanks monkeybrain, I tried that, got the same error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

LOL. Yes. I thought so. Truth be told, when I used VirtualBox, I always used the packages straight from Oracle. They were usually newer in version. I admit, that was both good and bad.

Before I first posted, I had searched for that error on Oracle, in their forums and their bug reports... and it prevalent. Many open Bug reports on this, there. Not tied to just Ubuntu, but VirtualBox itself. Even more on problems reported on the OpenSuse boards. Not saying it's related to OpenSuse,. Just that their users are having the same problems right now.

The way it should work, it that you install the packages and add yourself to the vboxusers group. That should give you the access and permission to use it.... Beyond that? Well, you could try work-arounds, but fundamentally there is something wrong with the current package, at least on your machine.. The proper thing to tell you would be to add yourself to one of their bug reports. The obvious thing is that you probable want to use a working version... Yes, that is a reoccurring problem with differing versions, but is again an active problem.

To do that, install a previous version from Oracle and see if that works for you. At least thre, you can easily access/download previous versions, and install them as a deb package. You could alslos do in from Ubuntu, but would then have to pin it to keep it from trying to update again.

That way, while added to one of their bug reportss, you'll get an email when the status changes, and have access to it, before it gets a patch downstream, back to Ubuntu.

That's not probably not a popular answer here.. But that does get you going again, and it is just reality.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

For what it's worth. I have only installed virtual box once and seldom use it but I did install on 20.04 from the repositories and it ran fine. I installed Windows 7 in a VM and it works as well. As I mentioned I have little experience but I've found 3rd party install are often problematic.

Beans

Well, after some email trwffice generated via the bug I reported in Launchpad,, I got an answer.
    The fix is:
    Code:
    sudo chmod u+s /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBoxVM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mark-bobak View Post
    Well, after some email trwffice generated via the bug I reported in Launchpad,, I got an answer.
    The fix is:
    Code:
    sudo chmod u+s /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBoxVM
    So the permissions fix was (on the executable):
    Code:
    $ chmod u+s /<Path_To_File>/<File_Name>
    The SetGID bit enforces group ownership on files and directories. When it is set, any file or directory created in a directory will get the directory's group ownership, not the user's. When it is set on a file, the file will always be executed as its owning group rather than as the user.
    And was like Oracle Ticket #8257 > https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewto...4038712d3b86d3

Happy that it is working for you now.

Please remember to use the Thread Tools in the upper right to mark this as solved so that others may find your solution...

EDIT: This is from your previous post/output in this thread:
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBoxVM
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   166208 Jun 22 03:15 VirtualBoxVM
    How does that show now as? For my own curiosity in helping others..
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 2nd, 2021 at 04:24 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12