Thread: Does Ubuntu have compatiblity mode similar to Windows?

Beans

Does Ubuntu have compatiblity mode similar to Windows?

I remember in Windows XP, when I tried to installed an old Windows 98 game, it wouldn't install, but it did install in Compatibility Mode though.

Does Ubuntu have similar functionality? Like if you need to install a program or device driver that ran in 12.04, but cannot run in 20.04, a Compatibility Mode feature would be great for that kind of scenario.

In my case, I have a 32-bit printer driver that ran from 14.04 to 18.04, but cannot run in 20.04, despite enabling 32-bit architecture, and I found out it's because of dependency issues, the dependencies cannot install due to being incompatible with 20.04. My solution is to use 18.04 in a VM and print from there, but it would be nice if Ubuntu could have a Compatibility Mode so I can run old software in old versions of Ubuntu natively.

Beans

Re: Does Ubuntu have compatiblity mode similar to Windows?

AFAIK the general answer is no, however you may be able to get your printer working if you tell us enough specifics such as what is the model and what kind of dependencies are missing and how this driver is supposed to be installed ( a deb, compiled from source ?) etc. Should start a thread in the support forum.

Beans

Re: Does Ubuntu have compatiblity mode similar to Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    AFAIK the general answer is no, however you may be able to get your printer working if you tell us enough specifics such as what is the model and what kind of dependencies are missing and how this driver is supposed to be installed ( a deb, compiled from source ?) etc. Should start a thread in the support forum.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2464750