Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu undetected by GRUB 2 ?

Beans

ubuntu undetected by GRUB 2 ?

Hello everyone! I am a new Linux user and I installed Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS on my laptop with Windows 10 (dual boot).

My laptop: HP Envy Notebook with UEFI boot
    My installation:
    • Ubuntu with GNOME installed on live USB (I followed this tutorial with Approach 1 at the end).
    • Ubuntu installed on a partition of my D drive (SATA 1 To) (Windows 10 on C drive)

The thing is I can not choose which OS I want to boot at boot/reboot-time.
    Indeed, Windows 10 starts at boot-time and I do not achieve to press any key to have the GRUB GNU 2.04 menu.

According to this website page (Boot Display Behavior part --> Initial Default subpart), it seems like GRUB 2 only detect the Windows 10 OS.
    Does GRUB 2 only detect OS that are stored inside the C drive?

Can you help me having the GRUB menu while booting/rebooting my laptop?

Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: ubuntu undetected by GRUB 2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by aherve886 View Post
    Ubuntu installed on a partition of my D drive (SATA 1 To) (Windows 10 on C drive)
    From your description of C Drive and D Drive:-

Are they separate physical drives?
    Or separate partitions on one drive?

If they are separate physical drives, assuming Ubuntu installation is in UEFI mode, you should be able to boot both systems via the UEFI boot menu.

Alternatively, you can run a boot-repair report - Second option https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Please do not attempt a repair yet, post the link to the report.

Beans

I would suggest you read the official Ubuntu documentation on dual booting with windows at the site from the link below. Compare the instructions with what you did and you may see the problem.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

The most likely scenario pointed out above is not installing Ubuntu in the same mode as windows, both UEFI.

Does GRUB 2 only detect OS that are stored inside the C drive?
    The above comment indicates that you are not familiar with Linux or Grub device/partition naming conventions. The C, D, E names for devices or partitions used in windows was copied from other operating systems in the 1970's and is not used by LInux so that those letters don't mean anything in Linux or Grub.

If your machine is UEFI, look for an entry for Ubuntu in the BIOS firmware. If there is none, that's the problem and you should run and post the output link from boot repair suggested above.
    Last edited by yancek; July 10th, 2021 at 01:27 PM.

Beans

Hi tea for one! Thank you for your quick response!

screenshot coming from the product specifications of my laptop

According to my understanding and the screenshot above, yes there are two separate physical drives.

The F10 hotkey that normally allows to reach the UEFI boot menu just do not work at boot/reboot-time...

As a consequence, when I start my laptop, Windows 10 starts by default without showing the UEFI boot menu.
    Then, I have to perform an Advanced startup in Windows to finally access the UEFI boot menu...

You can imagine this whole process is not convenient.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aherve886; July 10th, 2021 at 02:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aherve886 View Post
    You can imagine this whole process is not convenient.
    Yes, very inconvenient.

When you power on the PC, try Esc or F9.

When you finally reach the UEFI boot menu, can you see an entry for Ubuntu (as mentioned by yancek)?

If so, can you boot Ubuntu from this entry?

If you cannot boot Ubuntu, please supply the boot-repair report requested previously.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

See Boot-Repair in my signature below and follow the instructions there to run the Boot-Info-Script using the live system which you used to install Ubuntu.

Do not run the default repair or any other repair just yet but simply copy back here the pastebin link you get which will show us a lot more about your system and the OSs installed.

Beans

Just because you have a second storage drive in your system doesn't make it a "D:\".
    Windows uses letters to identify file systems. You can make 3 partitions that are NTFS and Windows will call them C:\ D:\ and E:\ even though there is only really one "drive" with 3 partitions. It's a common mistake by Windows users because the OS they have used mislabels file systems/partitions badly.

Beans

Hello tea for one! Again thanks for keep helping me on this issue!

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    When you power on the PC, try Esc or F9.
    I tried what you suggested here but also F10 and it does not work, Windows keeps starting...

Thanks to the link provided by yancek, I red that disabling the HP Fast Startup is supposed to help in this issue.
    So I tried, but it does not seem to work...

--------------------------

Hi ajgreeny, thanks for joining!

I performed the pastebin link upload. Here it is: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/5qkHnpzxwY/

Hope this will inform you enough to help me.

Have a nice day everyone!

Beans

I forgot to plug in the Live USB I used to install Ubuntu alongside Windows, sorry!

Here is the complete Boot-Info: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/VYhRFp2Wmn/

Beans
    Distro

Line 106 - SecureBoot enabled
    Line 404 - The boot of your PC is in Secure mode. You may want to retry after changing it to non-Secure mode

Please access your UEFI firmware and turn off Secure Boot.
    Power off the PC
    Then try Esc, F9 or F10 again to see if Ubuntu appears in the boot menu?

You have to press the dedicated keys immediately after you have powered on the PC - try tapping F9 at one second intervals.
    Last edited by tea for one; July 11th, 2021 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added comment about dedicated keys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast