Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: graphic card recommendations appreciated (old hardware)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

graphic card recommendations appreciated (old hardware)

Hello

I have a pretty old desktop computer that runs fine except for the onboard GPU that lags a bit too much. My knowledge about hardware is also as old as the computer.
    I use the machine for basic personal routines (browsing, word processing, etc.) - resource-hungry applications are the exception.
    Here are a few technical specs:
    Mainboard: see here https://www.fujitsu.com/de/products/...s/d34462s.html
    CPU: Intel Pentium dual core 2*2,8ghz (I was thinking about upgrading to a quad core sooner or later...)
    - 8gb ddr2 ram

I'm on a budget - suggestions for a GPU that I can buy used are much appreciated!
    Last edited by ATSC; July 9th, 2021 at 11:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: graphic card recommendations appreciated

Wait.

The semiconductor supply shortage drove prices up to absurd levels, even for really old and poorly-performing kit. It was complete madness.

Wait for prices to come down again rather than buying anything right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

+1 with CatKiller: wait. Save your money. Prices will come back down again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Now that China has banned CryptoCurrencies, the huge crypto-farms are all dumping their nvidia 3060s for $30-50 less than retail prices. Of course, that is still 3x more than this Pentium PC is worth, so it won't help THIS person.

I have a dual core Pentium G3258. It is about to be gifted to an animal shelter to run their business after I replace it with a new-to-me Ryzen. I'm all in on the AM4 platform for the next few years. Upgrades are planned that just involve the CPU and nothing else. I looked at doing that with my Intel-based systems and decided the price wasn't worth any performance gains. To get a sufficient performance boost, a new socket is required with Intel systems. Not so with Ryzen. Same RAM. Same motherboard, just a new CPU can take a 6000 passmark system to over 20K passmarks.

Beans

Re: graphic card recommendations appreciated (old hardware)

Quote Originally Posted by ATSC View Post
    Hello

I have a pretty old desktop computer that runs fine except for the onboard GPU that lags a bit too much. My knowledge about hardware is also as old as the computer.
    I use the machine for basic personal routines (browsing, word processing, etc.) - resource-hungry applications are the exception.
    Here are a few technical specs:
    Mainboard: see here https://www.fujitsu.com/de/products/...s/d34462s.html
    CPU: Intel Pentium dual core 2*2,8ghz (I was thinking about upgrading to a quad core sooner or later...)
    - 8gb ddr2 ram

I'm on a budget - suggestions for a GPU that I can buy used are much appreciated!
    What's the local market like, there? Just buy something used for now - if there's anything that's not too old. Nvidia or AMD, doesn't matter. I am looking for a GT 1030 or RX 550, 560, 570 etc. GTX 1050 ti is pretty good but still a bit expensive. Any of those cards will do and can be moved to a new computer if you are able to invest in a current generation computer in the near future.

GT 1030 is the cheapest here, for me, and it's good for browsing, word processing - not so much for gaming.

Yeah, it's better to wait but if the onboard GPU is causing lagging problems, that's frustrating. It's possible, it's (also) cpu-related, too. I had an older AMD system that was too slow - it couldn't play 1080p videos and forget about having more than a few tabs open. Over 10 years old - it's not being used anymore. Now, I'm running a Haswell computer and at least, it solved those problems....for the most part.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linuux View Post
    GT 1030 is the cheapest here, for me, and it's good for browsing, word processing - not so much for gaming.
    I'm using a 1030 on my KVM host - and in fact it's quite capable for older games (many titles from the 2000's decade). If you have something newer (from the 2010's decade) that requires a bit more power - yea, the 1030 suffers/drowns - but if you ok to dial to 720p and lower the settings to below mid you can get at least some decent fps out of it - although than many stuff just looks pretty garbage.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a 1030. Didn't really want it, but I was forced into a new GPU to get support by the proprietary drivers and bought the cheapest of the current generation nVidia GPUs. My prior nVidia GPU was $40 and worked great for a decade. The prior GPU running nouveau drivers wouldn't go above 1080p resolution, though the hardware on a prior Ubuntu release had no issues with 1200p. $70 fixed that issue for me. Not ideal, but a bargain to avoid frustration.

If I were doing it again, I'd avoid nVidia hardware. AMD is better at basic GPU support being included in the kernel. This assumes any built-in iGPU isn't sufficient. On my Intel CPU systems, the onboard iGPU has been more than sufficient for my needs since 2012 when all the GPUs started including mpeg2 and h.264 decoding in hardware.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 11th, 2021 at 01:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

... pretty old desktop computer ... on a budget...
    We all have to live within our means. Upgrading your CPU may involve upgrading your motherboard too.
    How about providing some more details about your system? Please run this application from a terminal...
    Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    Please display the results between the code tags.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I have a 1030. Didn't really want it, but I was forced into a new GPU to get support by the proprietary drivers and bought the cheapest of the current generation nVidia GPUs. The prior GPU running nouveau drivers wouldn't go above 1080p resolution, though the hardware on a prior Ubuntu release had no issues with 1200p. $70 fixed that issue for me. Not ideal, but a bargain to avoid frustration.

If I were doing it again, I'd avoid nVidia hardware. AMD is better at basic GPU support being included in the kernel. This assumes any built-in iGPU isn't sufficient. On my Intel CPU systems, the onboard iGPU has been more than sufficient for my needs since 2012 when all the GPUs started including mpeg2 and h.264 decoding in hardware.
    I agree with you but I have a few comments and questions.

The OP didn't mention needing gaming. I would like a 'gaming' card but I can't afford to get in that price range - also, I mostly wanted browsing, basic stuff (like OP, I presume). So, I am stuck at looking at what is available. With the current crypto craze and inflated gpu prices and many used card sellers overvaluing and asking for 'extra' for their card, the GT 1030 is one of those rare cards that haven't been overly expensive (although, probably still paying more).

I agree, the AMD cards are probably a better choice/alternative for going with open source/FOSS drivers - at least, there are a lot of alleged advantages going with AMD/amdgpu driver. But, the cheapest ones for the current generation are pretty expensive - plus, my added inconvenience is that I have a sff computer. 'Should have bought a tower should be my .sig, maybe? I've seen a few cheap Rx 550 cards (2gb usually, some 4gb exist though) but they weren't low profile, single slot. The other thing is that many are mining cards or were - which I don't have a problem with too much. I was advised to get some settings outputs though - but, I dunno how many sellers will provide that kind of info. There's still a lot of demand for graphics cards even though prices have gone down, a smidgeon, apparently.

I am using Intel igpu and a 4K TV - I cannot get 4k resolution with it. At least, when I try an iso/live media. I also only get 4k resolution and 30 hz in Windows 10. The hdmi to displayport adapter setup isn't ideal. A graphics card will allow me hdmi to hdmi connection, 60 hz and 4k res (afaik). Thus, I would like to get something, eventually, even if it has to be nvidia. Hopefully, the nvidia 470 driver will allow for more compatibility with (using) XWayland.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cryptearth View Post
    I'm using a 1030 on my KVM host - and in fact it's quite capable for older games (many titles from the 2000's decade). If you have something newer (from the 2010's decade) that requires a bit more power - yea, the 1030 suffers/drowns - but if you ok to dial to 720p and lower the settings to below mid you can get at least some decent fps out of it - although than many stuff just looks pretty garbage.
    I've watched a bunch of videos showing gaming with a GT 1030 and they all support what you're saying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast