Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: graphic card recommendations appreciated (old hardware)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: graphic card recommendations appreciated (old hardware)

Quote Originally Posted by ATSC View Post
    I've just noticed the localization "DE" - so I ausme you'Re from germany? If so, I have a nVidia GT 640 to send over for free. If you're interested feel free to send me a private message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Many thanks for all the helpful replies!

Please excuse my late reply I had to sort out a few real-life issues first.

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    Please run this application from a terminal...
    Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    Code:
    System:
      Host: benni-M2NS-NVM Kernel: 4.15.0-147-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
      compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0 Desktop: MATE 1.22.2 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 
      base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
    Machine:
      Type: Desktop Mobo: FUJITSU SIEMENS model: D2836-S1 v: S26361-D2836-S1 
      serial: <filter> BIOS: FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix v: 6.00 R1.04.2836.S1 
      date: 07/21/2009 
    CPU:
      Topology: Dual Core model: Pentium E6300 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Penryn 
      rev: A L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
      flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 11199 
      Speed: 1701 MHz min/max: 1600/2800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1600 2: 1600 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics vendor: Fujitsu Solutions 
      driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
      resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43 (ELK) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.8 
      direct render: Yes 
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel 82801JD/DO HD Audio vendor: Fujitsu Solutions 
      driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
      Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-58-generic 
    Network:
      Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
      vendor: Fujitsu Solutions driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 2000 
      bus ID: 04:00.0 
      IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
      Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
      vendor: Fujitsu Solutions driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 
      bus ID: 05:00.0 
      IF: enp5s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 232.52 GiB (25.0%) 
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: HDWD110 size: 931.51 GiB  
      temp: 38 C 
    Partition:
      ID-1: / size: 18.21 GiB used: 15.44 GiB (84.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
      ID-2: /home size: 889.27 GiB used: 217.07 GiB (24.4%) fs: ext4 
      dev: /dev/sda6 
      ID-3: swap-1 size: 9.31 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5 
    Sensors:
      System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0 C mobo: N/A 
      Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
    Info:
      Processes: 168 Uptime: 1h 16m Memory: 7.57 GiB used: 1.70 GiB (22.5%) 
      Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.5.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 
      inxi: 3.0.32

Quote Originally Posted by cryptearth View Post
    I've just noticed the localization "DE" - so I ausme you'Re from germany? If so, I have a nVidia GT 640 to send over for free. If you're interested feel free to send me a private message.
    Yes, I'm from Germany, Thanks for your generous offer! I'll eventually get in touch with you!
    “Good is something you do, not something you talk about. Some medals are pinned to your soul, not to your jacket.” Gino Bartali

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OUCH! https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php....80GHz&id=1103 Just 950 passmarks!
    My $200 chromebook from 2012 was 900 passmarks on the current scale.
    A desktop Core i5 from 2010 was 2900 passmarks. A $50 Pentium G3258 from 2014-ish, has 2000 passmarks. I'd bet an 8th gen Core i5 would be a deal these days. I have a laptop with one of those CPUs. It is efficient and fast.

A newer GPU will only help with watching video, I'm afraid.

BTW, I did run 1 VM on my chromebook in 2012, but usually just used remote access into a VM server from the chromebook to access a much more powerful system.

As a desktop, if it uses standard ATX case, PSU, and all the other stuff, you could get a much faster, better, used, but newer MB+CPU for cheap and spend about 20 minutes swapping that into the case. A $100 budget could do be an amazing upgrade. Keep everything else. Just swap the MB+CPU for faster. Call local small computer shops nearby and ask if they have any used MB+CPU combo deals for X Euros. I'd be surprised if the price for MB+Core I5 with 3000-5000 passmarks wasn't less than 100€. I've seen entire off-lease laptops for that price.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ATSC View Post
    Yes, I'm from Germany, Thanks for your generous offer! I'll eventually get in touch with you!

the GT640 will extend the life for quite a few more years. i recently upgraded form Single core AMD (that has passmark about 450) and 4GB ddr2 ram. i could still play many old games with GT730 (which was actually 530 in disguise), so with 640 (which has newer chip than mine) you should be fine even if you want to play some newer titles on low setting.

the old PC is now waiting to be reused. i was thinking as video playing machine or some kind of server.

i upgraded because i has some issues with youtube videos and some websites were slow to open as i have script blocker installed. so i reused components and due to current prices for GPU i just upgraded the motherboard, ram and CPU.

for your use i agree - get an older PC if you can get it cheap or get a new motherboard, ram and CPU (which comes with GPU chip). older models of CPU are still available at some places and they are not really that much slower. i also bought an older model CPU.

yeah GPU prices are crazy. GTX 1650 should be 150 EUR, and they are selling them for 300. the old GT 1050 should be about 110-130 EUR and they are selling it for 220 EUR here. the gt 1030 should be about 60-70 EUR, they are selling the low profile version for 100-110 EUR and normal version for 130 EUR. AMD cards? they don't sell any here but the RX version which cost way too much (over 1000 EUR).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

nvidia will stop making their proprietary driver for the GT6xx line sooner than people realize. My GT 7200 lost nvidia support at 16.04.
    I don't think I'll be buying nVidia GPUs anymore, unless forced. I've been buying their stuff 20 yrs now.

I've had issues with AMD video support too from time to time. Had a APU lose support completely around 2015 when it was in an ITX case, so putting in a replacement wasn't an option. The E-350 was very slow already and the entire system was replaced by an Intel G3258 in a larger case. The Pentium G3258 is still going with 2 VMs running now. It is the main NAS for my network with over 32TB of storage. It doesn't really get used to play videos, but it can and does a fine job. During the Olympics, it will be heavily used to record videos overnight.

I've been fortunate with the iGPU support from Intel. A few times, the Intel iGPUs have had terrible issues under Linux, but those were always for a different CPU than what I had. I dream of the day when AMD Ryzen CPUs have excellent iGPU support for zero premium. Today, Ryzens with iGPUs are commanding $100 premiums.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 22nd, 2021 at 03:09 PM. Reason: 2700 --> 7200 ; may have been a GS, not GT?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

[QUOTE=TheFu;14049488]nvidia will stop making their proprietary driver for the GT6xx line sooner than people realize. My GT 2700 lost nvidia support at 16.04.
    I don't think I'll be buying nVidia GPUs anymore, unless forced. I've been buying their stuff 20 yrs now.

if i remember correctly they are supported until 2023, so with LTS kernel and all that should give you until 2027.

nvidia has / had better energy usage. maybe if AMD can come up with power saving GPU that performs ok i will look at it. at the moment AMD shelves are empty over here anyway (unless you go high end super premium).

Today, Ryzens with iGPUs are commanding $100 premiums.
    yes, they are, because they outsourced production and same chip manufacturer has to supply to multiple chip designers/brands. and they can raise prices just to get them produced ahead of queue.

intel has it's own production in US so no battles over chips and shorter supply chain.

i still went with older model Ryzen as here it didn't have much difference in price (20 EUR) to similar intel. now i am wondering if maybe i made a mistake and should have gone with newer one (4xxx) and APU. it would currently be enough for my needs. but what is done is done. this one will have to do until i can get a better GPU (which will force me to get a new monitor as well as i currently have 19" SVGA 4:3).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well - what a coincidence I have a quite similar hardware setup around as you have - and just tested the 640 I'm about to send over as discussed privately.
    I just quickly used Half-Life 2 as a short benchmark - depend on the settings I got as low as just 18 fps when every setting is cranked to max - but managed to get about 35 when dialing it back to about medium. So the card is quite able to handle at least this type of games.
    I used the 390 driver as the ubuntu wiki said it's the driver to use for such an old card - and haven't bothered to try any newer or even windows (the system is REALLY slow - it took about 1 1/2 hours to get from bare metal into HL2 - mostly because the system only has two cores and only 100mbit NIC.
    Code:
    System:    Kernel: 5.11.0-25-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Desktop: GNOME 3.38.4            Distro: Ubuntu 21.04 (Hirsute Hippo) 
    Machine:   Type: Desktop System: ECS product: G31T-M7 v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
               Mobo: ECS model: G31T-M7 v: 1.0 serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 080014 date: 02/25/2010 
    Battery:   Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech M720 Triathlon Multi-Device Mouse charge: 55% (should be ignored) 
    CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E7300 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Penryn rev: 6 L2 cache: 3 MiB 
               flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 bogomips: 10640 
               Speed: 1990 MHz min/max: 1603/2670 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1990 2: 1749 
    Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GT 640] vendor: eVga.com. driver: nvidia v: 390.144 bus ID: 01:00.0 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa 
               resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 640/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.144 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio vendor: eVga.com. driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
               Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.11.0-25-generic 
    Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros Attansic L2 Fast Ethernet vendor: Elite Systems driver: atl2 v: kernel port: ec00 
               bus ID: 02:00.0 
               IF: ens32 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 2.73 TiB used: 14.1 GiB (0.5%) 
               ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST3000DM008-2DM166 size: 2.73 TiB 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 1006.93 GiB used: 14.1 GiB (1.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
    Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 3.83 GiB used: 85.3 MiB (2.2%) file: /swap.img 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 57 C 
               Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 45% 
    Info:      Processes: 192 Uptime: 1h 03m Memory: 3.83 GiB used: 1.56 GiB (40.6%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers:             gcc: 10.3.0 Packages: 1763 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.01 v

Beans

'Cheapest graphics cards are probably GT 1030 and RX 550 (nvidia and amd side). I believe you can probably find these cards via European sites (to order from Germany)? They appear to be quite common on newegg and amazon (probably sites in Europe too). I am looking for the lower profile versions but I see the normal dual slot versions too - quite a lot of them.

GT 1030 doesn't support NVENC but pretty much everything else. But, if someone is open to the 640, those cards are probably worth looking for. They are newer although a bit more expensive. You might be able to find some used - they are not good enough to be used as mining cards. Both should be supported for a while.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are 2 1030 versions. One with DDR5 DRAM and the other with slower, DDR4 DRAM. Be careful which you buy. There's a big performance difference. I have a fanless model with DDR5. Again, I'd get an AMD GPU if Linux support were important. There's a famous photo showing what Linus thinks about nvidia that is easily found. nvidia support is much better on Ubuntu these days, if you run an LTS and use the ubuntu-drivers autoinstall command. I know LTS support was a goal, but cannot say anything about non-LTS Ubuntu releases and nvidia.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linuux View Post
    'Cheapest graphics cards are probably GT 1030 and RX 550 (nvidia and amd side). I believe you can probably find these cards via European sites (to order from Germany)? They appear to be quite common on newegg and amazon (probably sites in Europe too). I am looking for the lower profile versions but I see the normal dual slot versions too - quite a lot of them.
    Just for teh lolz I did a short search: Using a site for comparing market prices I found the cheapets 1030 for about 95€ while the cheapest 550 stated at around 120€.
    I also tried to search on ebay - but as I don't like that platform for several reasons I not invested any more time after still in the 10€-15€ range full of old pci/agp cards, lots and lots of fans, brackets, anti-sagg-stands and other crap. Yes, I came accross ongoing auctions, one for a gtx670 (currently at around 12€, 3 days left) and a 1060 (about the same, but 6 days or so left) - and I'm sure someone with experience on the site is able to find the few good deals to save quite a lot ... but hey: I'm sending over my 640 for free - I don't need it anyway and it seems a perfect fit - even if it's just to get the card a couple more months before it finally ends up as e-waste anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by linuux View Post
    GT 1030 doesn't support NVENC but pretty much everything else. But, if someone is open to the 640, those cards are probably worth looking for. They are newer although a bit more expensive. You might be able to find some used - they are not good enough to be used as mining cards. Both should be supported for a while.
    Oh yea, I had to learn THAT the hard way: Although off-topic, I explain why anyway: As I started to stream quite some time ago now I figured why not built a cheap 2nd system to offload the streaming to it. I already had a FM2 APU in mind - and designed the system around such. Little did I know back than that the elgato hd60 I chose (was the best option back then) is a bit of false advertising. Yes, it does have a h.264 asic on the card - BUT: it's only ever used with direct input-to-stream when using elgatos own software. And even if using that style it's only a 1-to-1 direct copy of the incoming hdmi stream (1080p / stereo audio) packed into rtmp with at most 8mbit/s - 10mbit/s of quality. No overlays, no alerts, no nothing - just directly streaming the hdmi input directly to the streaming service. If one want's anything more fancy or use any other streaming software than the elgato one the card only behaves as a very expensive paperweight offering an hdmi input - pointing a cheap webcam at your screen would get you far cheaper. One requires quite some hardware to use it - both a rather powerful cpu as well as a good gpu as encoder-accelerator.
    I though any cheap modern gpu would do and so I ordered a 1030 - only to find out: it doesn'T offer any encoding acceleration (it ended up as the "system" gpu in kvm host). So I ended up ordering a 1650 - just as encoding accelerator for my stream system.
    Fun fact: as my r9 290x died from overheating as I didn't noticed a failed fan in time at least I can use it to game and default back to the direct-stream with elgatos software ... I don't have a facecam anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast