Thread: How to reset app to default

Beans

How to reset app to default

I use Zorin OS which is based on UBuntu. Please answer me how to reset an app to default, for instance VLC player?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to reset app to default

Configurations are stored per-userid, in the user's HOME directory (somewhere). I'd look under ~/.config/vlc/. Delete everything below that.
    If that doesn't work, like with Gnome apps, the settings/configurations could be stored in a per-userid database file. Unfortunately, Gnome has decided that having 1 file shared for all programs is a good idea (it isn't), so we can hunt through the DB looking for application specific settings to remove (looking inside a DB file isn't as easy as using an editor, IMHO)
    or
    just create a new userid and start using that instead. Doing this will reset all settings to the default for the new userid.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 8th, 2021 at 09:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Zorin. Thread moved to Ubuntu/Debian Based sub-forum.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Configurations are stored per-userid, in the user's HOME directory (somewhere). I'd look under ~/.config/vlc/.
    Please help me wher to find configuration file. In which folder configuration file is placed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

a) please don't post huge images.
    b) Did you put "~/.config/vlc/" into the URL entry and hit enter?

Beans

Solved. I found the folder and delete data:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajgreeny; July 11th, 2021 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Large image replaced with thumbnail attachment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

snap packages are new. I avoid them for a number of reasons.

Please don't post images. Make them attachments for the people who have to pay for internet by the byte. Be kind.