Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linking

Beans
    Hidden!

Linking

I'm running PopOS which uses SystemD and i'm a bit of a noob.
    I have my 1 harddrive splitted into 2 partitions and i would like to link my second partition which has all of my files into my filesmanager (https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Apps/Files) so that when i click 'Other' it will directly open the other partition but when i do this and i restart my system it doesn't work because it is automaticly unmounted.
    So how do i create a permanent link in my file manager to the other partition?

And second question is how do i remove the current Documents folder from my main partition and then also have it looped to the second partition called 'Other' and open up that 'Documents' folder in the file manager?
    All through the terminal please.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Linking

anyone?

Beans

Does this secons partition get mounted anywhere when you boot?
    If so, where does it get mounted?
    If not, how do you mount it?
    Can you post the output of
    lsblk -fmap | grep -v snap

Beans
    Hidden!

Sure thing
    Code:
    NAME        FSTYPE FSVER LABEL   UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT            SIZE OWNER GROUP MODE/dev/loop0                                                                                                      root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/loop1                                                                                                      root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/loop2                                                                                                      root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/loop3                                                                                                      root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/loop4                                                                                                      root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/loop5                                                                                                      root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/loop6                                                                                                      root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/loop7                                                                                                      root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/sda                                                                                                 465,8G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─/dev/sda1 vfat   FAT32         E8FE-765C                             399,5M    20% /boot/efi             500M root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─/dev/sda2 ext4   1.0   PopOS   6bbf4096-48fa-42c8-a788-6724b4bfd120   85,1G     8% /                     100G root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─/dev/sda3 ext4   1.0   Overige 878b409f-e397-4323-a3b9-21bb5c1e1489  167,8G     9% /media/erik/Overige   200G root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/sr0                                                                                                  1024M root  cdrom brw-rw----
    It does not get mounted, i need to mount it by pressing 'Overige' in my filemanager which is the name of that partition (meaning Others) and then it gets mounted and automaticly it opens the partition in the filemanager.
    When i reboot it is unmounted again.

It is mounted at: /dev/sda3

Beans

It might be best to just mount the partition into your home directory when the computer boots. No other users will be able to mount the partition though. If this solution is OK with you, I think this will do the trick:
    Create a folder in your home directory for it to be mounted into:
    Code:
    mkdir /home/erik/Overige
    Then add this line to /etc/fstab (e.g. sudo nano /etc/fstab):
    Code:
    UUID=878b409f-e397-4323-a3b9-21bb5c1e1489  /home/erik/Overige  ext4  defaults  0  2
    The above should make the partition mount there when the computer boots, but you can make it mount without booting with:
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    For the Documents folder, with this solution you could just copy your Documents folder into Overige. Dragging files or folders into or out of Overige will make copies, not move them. But you could drag-copy things and then delete the original, or perhaps use cut and paste in the file manager.

Beans
    Hidden!

Might this also work?
    Code:
    LABEL=Overige  /home/erik/Overige  ext4  defaults  0  2
    For the folders i actually meant, how do i remove Recent, Starred, Afbeeldingen, Muziek, Video's, Documenten from filemanger using the terminal?
    And how do i add the Overige link inside the filesmanagers left list where the above links are? so that i can go there right away.
    How do i automaticly have the filesmanager open up Overige instead of Home?

Edit:
    Thanks! it works. (only the auto mounting)

My 'Home' folder has these folders:
    - Afbeeldingen (pictures)
    - Bureaublad (desctop)
    - Documenten (documents)
    - Downloads
    - Muziek (music)
    - Openbaar (public)
    - Sjablonen (templates)
    - Video's
    - Overige (the second partition that we just mounted)

How do i delete the current video, music, document location from these folders in Home and have the address changed to the same name folder on the second partition called Overige? (so Home > Documenten but this documenten should be opened on the second partition and the current partition of Home should have those folders deleted as a path but not as a folder that goes to the second partition)

And then also have the same icons from the old Home folders inside the new Home folder (icons)

PopOs (unbuntu) puts screenshots automaticly in Afbeeldingen (pictures in english) when i manually delete this folder it saves the screenshots in Home, i recon that when we do the above (change the location of these folders) they will automaticly be put inside a old but now deleted directory, how do i Safe these screenshots inside the new location on my second partition in there own folder? (documents in the documents folder ec.)

The same happens with libreoffice files, they are saved inside Documenten (documents) but i want to change the default path to Overige (Other. which is the second partition) how?
    Last edited by ayudha; October 27th, 2020 at 09:52 AM.

Beans

I think that's two parts.
    1: Move the Documenten folder to the Overige folder. This means your home folder no longer contains a Documenten folder.
    2: Make a symbolic link in your home folder pointing to the Overige/Documenten folder:
    Code:
    cd     # make sure you are working in your home directory
    mv Documenten Overige/Documenten
    ln -s Overige/Documenten Documenten

Beans
    Hidden!

Doesn't work
    I did this for it to work:

Create /home/erik/.config/user-dirs.conf
    Code:
    enabled=false
    But do i really need this file?

Change /home/erik/.config/user-dirs.dirs to
    Code:
    XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Bureaublad"XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"
    XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="/home/erik/Overige/Documenten"
    Change /home/erik/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks to
    Code:
    file:///home/erik/Overige Overige
    Could somebody tell me how i make all of this inside a script to run?

And how do i open the filesmanger in a different (default) directory? (home/erik/Overige)

Edit: i also could not find how to remove 'Recent' and 'Starred', do any of you know how this is done?
    Last edited by ayudha; November 8th, 2020 at 04:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Does anyone have a clue?

Beans
    Hidden!

Help please......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast