Thread: daily-canary vs daily-live

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

daily-canary vs daily-live

No idea what canary is, just read about it a few weeks ago in another thread. So today reading this thread:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2464651, thought I would compare canary vs dail-live. Wow! 30.1% zsync difference to start.
    Normally I zsync this: "http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/pending/impish-desktop-amd64.iso.zsync".

So where is the canary info, and why the difference? For one, its the new install program. Is there more?
    Last edited by VMC; July 8th, 2021 at 06:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: daily-canary vs daily-live

I've tried both now, and ventoy shows the new install, but a usb stick doesn't. Don't know why.

Beans
    Hidden!

What do you mean by

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I've tried both now, and ventoy shows the new install, but a usb stick doesn't. Don't know why.
    ?

A couple of weeks ago I cloned from the canary iso file and I saw the new installer (but it did not work all the way). Of course it might have changed, and I can test that, but I don't know yet what to look for. For example, how did you create the system in the USB stick? And how does ventoy show it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The canary iso is much larger than daily-live. The canary comes up and asks for user name and location then says welcome. The installer part is exactly the same as daily-live.
    One thing I did notice, is canary has a lot of errors on boot up. daily-live doesn't.

Beans
    Hidden!

If I understand correctly, the canary version is a very early testing version (maybe made for insiders / developers). We should expect that several things will not work yet.

- At first boot after installation with ubiquity I also notice that the install system comes up and asks for user name and location then says welcome. This happens also with persistent live systems created by mkusb-dus from the canary iso file.

- But there is also another installer, that was not yet fully functional when I tested it. I describe how to find that installer in the link from my previous post in this thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@sudodus, I think your right, its a work in progress. I'll keep zsync'ing daily-live.

Beans

The canary ISO's installer concept looks good - I was able to set the display to 1024x768 in VirtualBox. The classic installer stays in 640x480 in VirtualBox.

It looks like the partitioning tool isn't functional yet, though. I keep checking the installers of mainstream distributions to check for f2fs in one of the custom partitioning screens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I gave up on Canary, once I found out it depends, uses, Snap.

Beans

I noticed that yesterday while checking out what was running using the newly-available terminal.

If an installer lets me set up an f2fs flash root filesystem and saves me 3-4 hours of manual effort, this kind of implementation detail is outside the scope of my work. Also, I was glad to be able to set up a good screen resolution.