Thread: Am I stupid or something?

Beans

Angry Am I stupid or something?

Has been using Linux for years, but has been a long time not touch official flavor of Ubuntu.
    Installed as a VM today, after I got in to desktop, went through initial setup.
    Then I clicked on the "Activities" button at the top left corner.
    Now I'm stuck in this view, spent 5 mins, tried all things that make sense.

Which includes:
    1. just click on one Window, it should allow me to switch to it right? Nope, nothing happened.
    2. ctrl/alt+tab, it should allow me to switch around? Nope, nothing happened.
    3. esc button, it should close this view right? Nope, nothing happened.
    4. drag the window to the top which closed this view. BUT, whenever I open a window, it back to this view.

It feels like my IQ is not enough to use GNOME3 or my common sense is not common at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adam165; July 8th, 2021 at 06:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Am I stupid or something?

Frozen VM maybe? Or some weirdness going on with the keyboard + mouse mapping? I'd try a different variant without Gnome 3, e.g. Xubuntu or Ubuntu-Budgie maybe? If those work OK then the previous weirdness was because of Gnome 3. If these behave weird too then there must be a problem with your hypervisor ...

Beans

no im sure it's not a VM issue, it is running fine, i can ctrl+alt+f3 switch to console, then kill gnome and start it again.
    it seems like just gnome bug, and seems fixed in new version since it go away after "apt upgrade" with a restart.
    but ubuntu should really update their iso to not include a faulty but important component.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The iso's aren't updated, but for the latest LTS release a new iso is released every 6 months, with all the bugfixes until then. That is, 3, 9, 15, 21 and 27 months after the initial release. Only if there's a severe bug in the live disk, an additional iso can be released.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gnome3 is weird.

It really wants direct access to the GPU, which a VM doesn't support.
    Try touching the "super" key. That other OS might call is something else that starts with a "w".
    Getting a quick overview by watching some short youtube videos could be very helpful.

Don't feel bad. Not all crazy new desktops click for everyone. I'm not a Gnome fan at all either, but for many people, it lets them be more productive.

If the VM isn't performing well, post the hypervisor and someone might be able to help with suggestions. I use KVM + libvirt + spice to access my main desktop (which is a VM). Spice is very fast - faster than all the other VM access methods except direct hardware passthru with a dedicated GPU.

The current 20.04 LTS should be 20.04.2.

Beans

Did you install the guest additions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by adam165 View Post
    but ubuntu should really update their iso to not include a faulty but important component.
    there is an option to download and install updates during OS install (actually it will do it just after base install). i usually do the install first then first thing i do is manually update, reboot to get latest patched kernel loaded, then install GPU drivers etc. i think the reboot can be avoided if you are using live patch (patches/updates kernel while OS is running), bu tin any case that is how i would go about.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

While this thread indicates the user is using a VM, the issue appears to be with the DE -- regardless of the platform.

Let's look at that before we consider moving it to Virtualization.

Thanks.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

If it is not a VM problem just click activities again should get you out of it.