Thread: Ubuntu 8.04.4 lts

Beans

Ubuntu 8.04.4 lts

Hey guys just a little question I downloaded and put Ubuntu 8.04.4 on flash drive and thinking on installing it on my drive this was my first distro I installed getting starting would I be okay to use it just throwing it out there

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 8.04.4 lts

That particular release (desktop) went "end of life" on the 12th of May 2011; the server version had 2 extra years of support and went EOL in 2013. That equates to 10 years of no updates/security fixes for that code for the desktop release. Definitely not a good idea to let it anywhere near an internet connection in my opinion being such old and unsupported code.

If I were to experiment with such an old release I would tend to install it in a virtual machine, eg. virtualbox if possible, with the VM isolated from any internet connectivity through the settings of the VM software. I definitely wouldn't do a bare metal install with such an old release myself.

Beans

Maybe you meant 18.04?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If your hardware is newer than Ubuntu 8.04 then Ubuntu may not have drivers for your hardware. This will be a problem especially for the video card. But as an experiment it might be educational to try it.

I once experimented by installing my first version of Ubuntu (07.04 LTS) and then upgrading to each following LTS version. I think I got as far as 11.04 LTS before the screen graphics got so messed up it was not worth going any further.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks guys sorry that questionaire I liked that release and they even had the beginning sound when it opened to the desktop like windows I kinda knew the answer but thought with open code maybe

thanks guys

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Non-supported OS releases should only be used if your goal is to be hacked or you want to practice cracking in a disconnected network lab environment.
    Today, someone new to Linux should run Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop LTS or one of the officially supported 20.04 versions.

A basic understanding of Ubuntu LTS releases will go a long way. Follow the numbers.

LTS release happens April (04) of even years (2018, 2020, 2022, .... ). You get the idea. That means an LTS version is "{even year}.04". For desktops it gets a little complicated since most flavors get 3 yrs of support only, but the core Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop which uses Gnome3 for the DE gets 5 yrs of support. Some programs that we might install could have 0 yrs, 1 yr, 3, yrs or 5 yrs of support. There is a command to get the list of unsupported programs. 20.04 changed the command.

There are a few *.ubuntu.com websites that explain this in greater detail and each DE release (Lubuntu/Xubuntu/Ubuntu-Mate/Kubuntu/.... ) has their own support policies. Be certain you understand what the flavor you choose has for support and set a reminder in your calendar to update 3 months before support ends .... or July 2022, if you want to move to 22.04 LTS next year. I usually delay my main desktop until late June after the LTS is released. For servers, I tend to delay a year or more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Isn't this why we have Ubuntu MATE? It mimic's 8.04 using the old gnome2. Right?

Beans

You can easily reactivate the login sound https://askubuntu.com/questions/1232...n-ubuntu-20-04