Thread: network card settings

Beans

network card settings

Newvie Installed 20.04 Ubuntu<br>I have a gigabyte lan card and by download is showing only 100 MB.&nbsp; How do I get to settings and/or install mfg driver?

Beans

Re: network card settings

It doesn’t work quite like that.

The network chip automatically negotiates the fastest speed that can be used between the two devices (computer and router).

If your new card connects at a low rate, check the other end - the router may only be 100 Mbps capable. You may also have a bad cable - you need a CAT6 cable for GigE.

See this for details:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation
    Last edited by HermanAB; July 9th, 2021 at 11:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

ethtool allows you to set many card settings - speed, duplex, auto-negotiation etc.
    I haven't tinkered with it myself but I suspect that as HermanAB hints, the link just won't come up if you try to force it to use a speed that the other end or the cable doesn't support.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

ethtool allows you to set many card settings - speed, duplex, auto-negotiation etc.
    I haven't tinkered with it myself but I suspect that as HermanAB hints, the link just won't come up if you try to force it to use a speed that the other end or the cable doesn't support.