Thread: Dell XPS 15 9500 with Docking station for multiple displays

Beans

Dell XPS 15 9500 with Docking station for multiple displays

I have a Dell XPS 15 9500 (10th Gen Core i7) with a docking station Dell D3100 that connects to the XPS via USB3. The dock has GBe, USB2 and USB2 along with HDMI and DP to support up to 3 monitors. I've tested this successfully only on Windows 10.

I dual-boot the XPS with Linux Mint which uses Ubuntu 20.04.2 (5.8.0-59 kernel).

My problem is that I can't seem to see any of the monitors that connect to the docking station the same way I can in Windows 10. Linux can see the GBe Lan port in the dock, but not the DP or HDMI's.

Any Ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the D3100 Dock connects via USB3 type A. Since the XPS 15 9500 has only Type C for Thunderbolt and USB3, I use a DA20 Adapter that came with the laptop to connect the D3100. The DA20 has USB3 Type C for the laptop, USB3 type A for the D3100, and another HDMI on the DA20. That HDMI does work with Ubuntu as an extended desktop to the laptop.
    Last edited by jfaberna; July 7th, 2021 at 06:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Dell XPS 15 9500 with Docking station for multiple displays

Thread move to Mint sub-forum.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 15 9500 with Docking station for multiple displays

I think the problem is related to DisplayLink drivers not being installed. I'm going to play with those and see if I can get it working.