Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 20.04 installation problem with hp compaq 6715s

Beans

Lubuntu 20.04 installation problem with hp compaq 6715s

Hello,
    I'm new here, new with lubuntu and bad in English but I try to explain my problem.
    Trying to install 20.04 to my laptop. With Noapic selection lubuntu starts very slowly from installation media (dwd) and I can start installation from the icon of the desktop. I can do all selection and everything goes well. Only notice is that I'm not having internet connection. But when I select "install" it goes back to desktop screen and nothing happens.

I have already Vista in my laptop and I try to share disk with lubuntu automatic option during installation.

What should I do? Thanks & best regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Lubuntu 20.04 installation problem with hp compaq 6715s

Live boot from a DVD takes around 4...5 minutes. I don't know if that's what you mean by "slow".
    Don't just select language, but also keyboard layout (F3) during live boot.
    I see no reason to use the "noapic" option, just select "Start Lubuntu" directly. You'll land on the desktop eventually, where you can start the real installation.

And make a plan for your disk partitioning (/, /home, SWAP etc.) first.

If your network connection is WLAN, you may have difficulties, as some network adapters need proprietary drivers that are not included in the install package. Best thing is to use a cabled network connection during installation.

Cheers.

Beans

Without Noapic option live boot from dvd ends up to black screen and is same after few hours.
    Language and keyboard selections are ok.

Beans

I can do all selection and everything goes well. Only notice is that I'm not having internet connection
    Are you referring to Lubuntu on the DVD? Perhaps you could post some information on your hard ware as it appears to be an old machine. Vista hasn't been supported for 4 years and was released 14 years ago. Did you verify the download of the iso file of Lubuntu after download? Lubuntu is generally good on older machines so there may be some other problem.

Also, your post is a bit confusing as your statement above contradicts your later statement below, Is Lubuntu installed or is this problem on the DVD?

But when I select "install" it goes back to desktop screen and nothing happens.

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 to yancek's requests; and I would add some details:

Please specify brand name and model of

- computer (is hp compaq 6715s according to this link describing your computer?)
    - CPU
    - Graphics chip or card (separate or built into the CPU)
    - Amount of RAM

When we know this, it will be easier to suggest what to do.

This link about old hardware might be helpful.
    Last edited by sudodus; July 7th, 2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added link to specs and question

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Loading the Lubuntu live session and installing Lubuntu from a DVD is certainly slow. Especially on a machine that Windows Vista was installed on. The hardware is old and slow. The DVD drive might be a slow drive.

You make this statement:

I can start installation from the icon of the desktop.
    That tells me that the Live session is running. Have you tried to set up an internet connection? You will have to do that if you want to connect to the internet by WiFi.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Loading the Lubuntu live session and installing Lubuntu from a DVD is certainly slow. Especially on a machine that Windows Vista was installed on. The hardware is old and slow. The DVD drive might be a slow drive.
    I'm getting a bit fed up with this kind of knee-jerk dissing of old hardware. The DVD is 24x and a live boot takes 4...5 min.

I'm running a couple of HP Compaq 6910p laptops that are very similar to the 6715s, except they only have a 14.1" screen. About the same age too (2007/08)
    They're extremely fast with Lubuntu, and faster than they ever were with Vista or XP.

The 6715s is a good match for Lubuntu and should install/run without a hitch.

@Buluntu, if you have the option, try installing with a cabled LAN connection for Internet. WLAN can be fixed later.

Beans

Thanks, I'll take the laptop to my parents on weekend and try with LAN connection. I'll tell later if it helps.
    Laptop specs according to attached file except memory 2GB.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by buluntu; July 8th, 2021 at 08:02 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

As we all know, it is an old computer, and the Sempron processor is low end. But with 2 GB RAM [I agree with ml9104 that] it should be possible to install and run Lubuntu. It is a good idea to take the laptop to your parents on weekend and try with LAN connection. Good luck

Finally, I'll remind you of this link about old hardware.

The first few posts contain lots of tips how to check for things that might create problems in an old computer, and how to find ways to make things work.

And if you scroll down further in the link, you can find tips about other [non-Ubuntu] Linux distros, that are known to work well in old computers. But let us try more with Lubuntu and some other flavours of Ubuntu with a light foot-print, Xubuntu and/or Ubuntu MATE, before resorting to really lightweight Linux distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by buluntu View Post
    Thanks, I'll take the laptop to my parents on weekend and try with LAN connection. I'll tell later if it helps.
    Laptop specs according to attached file except memory 2GB.
    According to the specification details, you have a Broadcom wireless device.

Try and boot a live session again, open a terminal and enter:-

Code:
    sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source
    Is your wifi device recognised?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast